New Crabbey Work...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Crabster

The Crabster

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:I make things look pretty...

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:17 AM

Don't really have a ton of stuff to show, but here are some projects in the works/previs stage... Peek inside and Enjoy!

Couple style frames for Comedy Central's Last Laugh...

Here is an animatic for the Mirage's Marquee on the strip...

...and then I updated my site a couple weeks back with all of my finished work and a some concept/storyboard work...

Hopefully I am not violating any NDA's... Govinda, you still got that bail money? I know Sao's got my back...

Edited by The Crabster, 28 November 2006 - 11:24 PM.

Christopher Abbey
/////////////////////////////////////////
"I am not on 'roids!."
"That's hilarious!"

crabbey.com
Facebook

#2 SermonOfMockery

SermonOfMockery

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 3,499 posts
  • Interests:vocalizin' and socializin'

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:34 AM

nice! looks like you've been really busy and you've obviously done a great job of promoting yourself- i'm impressed! your work is always progressing, too. can't wait to see what's next.

#3 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Yup, you got a lotta stuff up thar. i didn't realize you've been so busy - I figured managing the fan club would be taking up all your time. I better start a bail bonds biz - "Sao Bento the Bountyhunter".

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#4 The Crabster

The Crabster

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

nice! looks like you've been really busy and you've obviously done a great job of promoting yourself- i'm impressed! your work is always progressing, too. can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks man... I really appreciate it...

Yup, you got a lotta stuff up thar. i didn't realize you've been so busy - I figured managing the fan club would be taking up all your time. I better start a bail bonds biz - "Sao Bento the Bountyhunter".

You have know idea how intense the workload from the fanclub has become...
Christopher Abbey
"I am not on 'roids!."
"That's hilarious!"

crabbey.com
Facebook

#5 silatix

silatix

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:mographary

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

damn those nda's.. nice frames though. the bush one kind of reminded me of something out of a jibjab.com cartoon
it's like theres a party in my mouth, and everyone's vomiting

#6 cheesehead

cheesehead

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:lately ive taken up making paper cranes. its a pretty good time.

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

Hey nice Lword stuff...

Im glad my layered psd could be so helpful to you.

Original Boards

Edited by cheesehead, 20 November 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#7 Nerra

Nerra

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

Nice stuff bro. Good to see you're super busy.

#8 worldpattern

worldpattern

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

Nice work, Chris!

Glad to see you worked on the Bad Idea project for Shiny, too. Ron's great to work with.

#9 haldeen

haldeen

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

THUMBS DOWN on the L word.
Always give credit where it is due.
You have good stuff man, why say its yours?

Reguardless i have been busy too...

Here's some stuff i have been working late nights on.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 mindstate7

mindstate7

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

As usual, good work man. But I have to agree with these guys and call you out on the L Word. You may be animating or redesigning it, which technically makes it partially yours, BUT the style concept obviously came from cheesehead. (WHo's work I know well) Maybe you work at the same place and things got mixed up? I dont know. I think some sort of explanation is due for call it you own. Because essentially this is no different than:

THis: http://mograph.net/b...p...&hl=rip off

Where it is the same style but changed elements.

Now I am not questioning your style, nor your talent as you have proven yourself to be a very talented designer which I hold respect to. But, lines get blurred when working on similar projects and I don't know your positions on this project.

For example: I have seen this done with my work before, where one would be the creative director and another designer (me) is actually doing the style work. But because this person is the director, and thus "driving" the project, it somehow means they can use it as their own. I believe this to be a very fine line for giving credit where it is due.

Again, I am not sure of the event surrounding this, nor will I point blame on this. BUT, this is WAY TOO CLOSE to be yours fully, just because you added some different flares and such. My belief is if your are a designer that is adding your own outlook on a project which another designer has already touched to make the spot even better (which looks to be the case here), then you both equally designed it and both should have credit for the design. Essentially, because on designer was the "inspiration" and the other "closed the deal". Period.

#11 The Crabster

The Crabster

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hey nice Lword stuff...

Im glad my layered psd could be so helpful to you.
Original Boards

The only things that stayed from your boards were the original girls and the logo... I stripped everything else out of it.... And I was given a brief to follow to create a new set of boards...

But overall, you are right, I should have given credit to you... Sorry... Truth is... I forgot, because as soon as I got that PSD, I stripped it clean and started fresh...

Edited by The Crabster, 20 November 2006 - 05:43 PM.

Christopher Abbey
"I am not on 'roids!."
"That's hilarious!"

crabbey.com
Facebook

#12 temper temper

temper temper

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

the truth will out, always... long live the truth.

mr crabbey, you've just tarnished your reputation: how much of the other work on your site is not entirely of your creation.?

not accusing, just wondering... it can be a grey area, but you just tipped into the black.

#13 The Crabster

The Crabster

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

mr crabbey, you've just tarnished your reputation: how much of the other work on your site is not entirely of your creation.?

not accusing, just wondering... it can be a grey area, but you just tipped into the black.

Interesting... Have you been saving your first post for this?
Christopher Abbey
"I am not on 'roids!."
"That's hilarious!"

crabbey.com
Facebook

#14 mindstate7

mindstate7

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

WHOA DUDE. Crabbey is a huge talent, no Doubt about it. There is just a fine line when designers are working towards the same goals under the same company. That just needs to be clear. THis is just one of those situations where you are unsure. Or the lines get blurred.

Edited by mindstate7, 20 November 2006 - 05:47 PM.

#15 temper temper

temper temper

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

Interesting... Have you been saving your first post for this?

yes.

have you always taken credit for other people's work.?
i hope not, and i doubt it.

There is just a fine line when designers are working towards the same goals under the same company. That just needs to be clear. THis is just one of those situations where you are unsure.

exactly.. that is the 'truth' i am referring to.
but if credit had been properly assigned, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
as i said, the guy obviously seems talented, but he has slipped up this time.

the guy has realised his error and apologised.
maybe we should move on.?

Edited by temper temper, 20 November 2006 - 06:10 PM.

#16 biggieboy

biggieboy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

overreacting slightly? It's one thing when some young up and comer rips work he claims as his own, but this is obviously just an honest mistake on Crabbey's part. His rep isn't tarnished at all, but this board's rep is sure tarnished when we start attacking the talented members that most of us still want to learn from.

I'm not saying we should kiss the talented members asses or anything, but at least show some respect and ask questions before ripping into him or we're gonna wind up with less and less people to learn from around here.

Edit: Nice work man, don't let this shit discourage you from showing us more.

Edited by biggieboy, 20 November 2006 - 06:23 PM.

#17 Johnny Three Nips

Johnny Three Nips

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

OK, so where do you draw the line and decide which of your projects you deserve credit for... I mean you deserve credit for anything you do, but when is it yours enough to put on the reel, or to promote yourself with on a message board?
I've seen a number of reels where there's some wildly complicated segment, and the persons role was say, rotoing a background element. Seems like a mis-representation to me. I'd like to think that everything I look at on here that says "I worked on this", is largely theirs. Is that really the case? Are people leaving out those assisting them or doing the bulk of the work? Is it cool to put something on your reel that you have only roto'd? Only animated, but not designed? Designed and animated, but didn't lay down to tape yourself?

Edited by Johnny Three Nips, 20 November 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#18 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

OK, so where do you draw the line and decide which of your projects you deserve credit for... I mean you deserve credit for anything you do, but when is it yours enough to put on the reel, or to promote yourself with on a message board?
I've seen a number of reels where there's some wildly complicated segment, and the persons role was say, rotoing a background element. Seems like a mis-representation to me. I'd like to think that everything I look at on here that says "I worked on this", is largely theirs. Is that really the case? Are people leaving out those assisting them or doing the bulk of the work? Is it cool to put something on your reel that you have only roto'd? Only animated, but not designed? Designed and animated, but didn't lay down to tape yourself?

Just don't forget to credit the engineers who wrote the software you used, and the QA people who tested it, and their assistants, etc.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#19 worldpattern

worldpattern

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

Just don't forget to credit the engineers who wrote the software you used, and the QA people who tested it, and their assistants, etc.

And Jesus, naturally.

#20 Nerra

Nerra

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

haha, awesome!

"Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy" - fight club
I think about this often, because essentially its true.

He's not tarnished his reputation at all. A simple mistake for which he has explained himself and apologised. Get over it man, you act like the guy just raped your child or something. This is what pisses me off about designers sometimes, they take it all so seriously and act like they are curing cancer or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users