• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:motiongraphics..duh

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hey all. I'm new to mograph, but not to motiongraphics. I'm putting myself out there for any freelance opportunities that may arise. I do remote work out of Kansas City. Here's my latest reel and let me know what you all think. Thanks guys and gals.

http://web.mac.com/motiongraphics2

Cameron
lately it's occurred to me what a long strange trip it's been...

#2 jaan

jaan

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

has don imus switched over to a career in mograph?

to be completely frank, your choice of music is probably treading into the "is this guy's idea of what's appropriate gonna be a social liability if i have him in my studio?" territory. and possibly more damaging is hearing the inflammatory lyrics of NWA while watching a semi-yawnish ABC network ID (not insulting your work-- what big three ID isn't overly tame?). kinda like seeing a soccer mom with a gold grill.

but regardless, the work looks good.

#3 Beerad

Beerad

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Yeah dig the work and would have to agree the music track might be a little much.

#4 biggieboy

biggieboy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, the first track is too hardcore, the second is too soft IMO. Nice work though. Also, I'd cut it down to about half, keep it short and sweet.

On your site where it says "Do You Want To Go With Me?" I felt like I should be able to click Yes and go to some contact info, "Maybe" could replay the reel, and "No" should send them to my site ;)

#5 VelocityVideo

VelocityVideo

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

It's spelled "collaboration" - just thought you might want to correct that before a prospective client or employer catches it (just below the video window).

Cf

(compulsive proofreader)

I'm not racist; I only disagree with President Obama's white half.

#6 digspat

digspat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Your reel is tastey but the lyrics of the music are too much. You don't want to risk losing potential money from clients over a few words in your demo reel. Just a note from someone who might be like your future clients.
Thanks,
Steve

Edited by digspat, 17 April 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#7 Ratbaggy

Ratbaggy

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Everything and always

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:49 PM

yeah. what's with the choice of track?

it's a very impressive reel visually.

when you say 'collaboration' what exactly did you do?

#8 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

i disagree... if someone wants to work wih u they are gonna work with you... don't think the music will influence the decision... at least it wouldnt with me...

#9 Rothermel

Rothermel

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

keep the track, and keep it real! you dont have to use the shins or chemical brothers to make a watchable reel. in reality its dudes with filthy mouths that make alot of the raddest shit in the industry.

so everyone saying that he will potentially not get work because of dirty lyrics in his reel, well then he probably wouldnt want to work with such conservative narrow minded pricks anyways, but thats just me....

Fuck.

#10 jaan

jaan

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

keep the track, and keep it real! you dont have to use the shins or chemical brothers to make a watchable reel. in reality its dudes with filthy mouths that make alot of the raddest shit in the industry.

so everyone saying that he will potentially not get work because of dirty lyrics in his reel, well then he probably wouldnt want to work with such conservative narrow minded pricks anyways, but thats just me....
Fuck.

yeah. c'mon seriously guys, how many of us really can sit down and take a good look in the mirror and honestly say that we are keeping it real? no seriously, think about it guys. because really guys, when we are doing those awesome ART projects for carbonated sugarwater and fabric softeners and fastfood chains, we should always really think about it and remember to KEEP IT REAL-- which apparently means to use the "N" word, especially if you're a white guy who went to a $30k/year art school. hellyeah!

---
i sincerely hope you were drunk when you typed that.

#11 Rothermel

Rothermel

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:04 AM

yeah. c'mon seriously guys, how many of us really can sit down and take a good look in the mirror and honestly say that we are keeping it real? no seriously, think about it guys. because really guys, when we are doing those awesome ART projects for carbonated sugarwater and fabric softeners and fastfood chains, we should always really think about it and remember to KEEP IT REAL-- which apparently means to use the "N" word, especially if you're a white guy who went to a $30k/year art school. hellyeah!

---
i sincerely hope you were drunk when you typed that.

HAHAHAH its NWA dude, get with the program. shits real. for reeealllll. ive never animated fabric softners, which makes me less of a softy! bada bing, zinnnnggg!!!!!

oh man, thats too good.
goodnight.

#12 Rothermel

Rothermel

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:04 AM

i will be here all week, please tip your bartenders, fuckers.

#13 fishface

fishface

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:karate. shiny things

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:03 AM

that made me smile.

#14 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

thanks guys for all your thoughts on my reel. i may have to cut it down just a bit and i'm thinking i need to replace "collaboration" with a different "line." glad some of you liked it.

#15 biggieboy

biggieboy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

glad some of you liked it.

Hope I wasn't misunderstood, I definitely like the work. That's the thing with a song like that: everyone is so focused on the song that no one is talking about your work ;)

#16 Jonny

Jonny

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

i will be here all week, please tip your bartenders, fuckers.

haha, might have to steal this line from ya...

#17 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

yeah. what's with the choice of track?

it's a very impressive reel visually.

when you say 'collaboration' what exactly did you do?

i actually changed the line on my site today, but by collaboration i meant that the majority of the stuff i did with prologue was designed by them and i took the design and animated. the rest of the stuff was pretty much designed and animated by me. does that even make sense? see, that's why i changed it. don't know if its any better though.

#18 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:34 AM

Hope I wasn't misunderstood, I definitely like the work. That's the thing with a song like that: everyone is so focused on the song that no one is talking about your work ;)

you seem to be right. everyone is focused on the song. i kinda thought that would happen though. glad to hear you liked my work. thanks. your little quote under your name is killer. ha.

#19 doctorj

doctorj

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

O.k. So I like the Reel, and it's always uplifting to see A Hallmark ad with ice cube letting punk mother fuckers know. But back to the reel I do like it and to me the music wasn't bad, but then again you can find that track and a whole bunch more on my ipod. A really quick fix is to find the instrumental for that track and plug it in then everyone is happy and your still "keepig it Real" for all the OG's in the world.

just my 2cents.

#20 biggieboy

biggieboy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

your little quote under your name is killer. ha.

actually I have to give credit to Silatix for the quote, he said it to someone that posted their reel and I found it funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users