C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

It's a damn good thread

:H

I think it's what many people are craving for. Instead of regular tutorials that may teach you one gag, this shows many aspects of a real project with creative solutions. If more people would post a few of their inner workings of projects, we would all be in heaven (if I believed in such a place). It's like the mograph equivelent to director's commentaries on DVDs.
chris smith :: some of my work

#44 digiphish

digiphish

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

I've just recently been thumbing through the posts here. Thank you for this post, I found the information quite useful and your work is outstanding. I agree with C. Smith and I think this is what more people are craving. Thanks again.

#45 TheDrizzle

TheDrizzle

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

nice review thanks for the insight. I think the material you may be looking for in mental ray for maya to make the hourglass more clear and bright is the dielectric. i nearly got the results of the c4d render right out of the can without too much adjusting. I did bump the ambient to super white, but other than that its fairly close. however i always think its cleaver when you can use more than one 3D app to really exploit the strengths of each package. nice work!

i posted the picture of the maya hourglass i worked up here.

http://www.paraporta...s/hourglass.jpg

Thanks for the input.... but the problem wasn't actually getting the glass to look pretty, the problem was getting the watch to look pretty BEHIND the glass. The dialectric material is a wonderful tool i agree, but lighting the watch through the glass was a real pain. Nothing i did to counteract the problem looked as good as the watch did without the glass. So, as time constraints grew near, i just rendered the watches without the glass and then camera mapped the renders back onto the model. A simple but effective trick that ended up saving a lot of time.

#46 Mutant

Mutant

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving and 3D

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

useful posts THANKS, more off this can be great for learning :-)

#47 crawdad

crawdad

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

First off, incredible piece. The transitions and blending of 2d and 3d is unbelievably smooth. So this is going to sound like a very amateur question but, as an amateur, I have no shame! What is the distinction in the workflow between Maya and C4D? Why use both programs instead of one or the other? And what is done with each program? Thanks!

#48 Guest_spence_*

Guest_spence_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

The shifting wallpaper textures are damn sexy, but I have to say I'm surprised the city/gears part is most people's favorites though, I found the city to be kind of out of place compared to how tight everything else was.

#49 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

What is the distinction in the workflow between Maya and C4D? Why use both programs instead of one or the other? And what is done with each program?

You will find many threads on mograph describing people's preferences regarding Maya/C4D. Most of those arguments come down to Maya looking a little bit better and C4D being a bit faster and more flexible. It's an empty argument that is largely dependent on the experience of the user. There is little to no advantage of using two different programs... this piece could have been done in either. I mentioned earlier that Drizzle only knows Maya and I only know C4D. We've been working with each other for a few years, but this is the first time we "successfully" blended the two programs.

The shifting wallpaper textures are damn sexy, but I have to say I'm surprised the city/gears part is most people's favorites though, I found the city to be kind of out of place compared to how tight everything else was.

The piece definately has it's weak spots. I did mention earlier (I think) that the city scene was slated to get more detail and resolution, but time didn't permit. I felt the camera was pretty good and transition was smooth, which I think is what most people were responding to. I would always pick that combo over a really sweet render that lacked action (and in the non-real world I'd prefer plenty of time and money to make it all happen).

The illustrator who developed the wallpaper stills is Dan Funderburgh and he is a cream o' the crop wallpaper designer (among many things he earns a living designing real & virtual wallpapers). Dan's been a very close friend for over 10 years, but this was the first time we actually worked together. It was a real treat.

-m

#50 Guest_spence_*

Guest_spence_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:26 AM

The illustrator who developed the wallpaper stills is Dan Funderburgh and he is a cream o' the crop wallpaper designer (among many things he earns a living designing real & virtual wallpapers). Dan's been a very close friend for over 10 years, but this was the first time we actually worked together. It was a real treat.

-m

Sorry to hijack another thread, but those wallpapers are gorgeous, I'm going to have to pick one of those up in hopes that some day I'll have my own place to put them up in :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users