• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

So I'm finally going to update my website (which is currently hacked, so don't bother trying to visit) and was working on a couple of concepts. Could you guys tell me if you like either of these, what you like or don't like about them, or whether I should drop this path and go a whole new direction? Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 redsodeep

redsodeep

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

The first one with the purple, however I'd tone down the saturation. It doesn't compete with your portfolio as much. Your website should be simple so it doesn't take away from the content.

#3 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

The first one with the purple, however I'd tone down the saturation. It doesn't compete with your portfolio as much. Your website should be simple so it doesn't take away from the content.

Think I should try one without the background image?

#4 redsodeep

redsodeep

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

I think you could leave it. If you want, try making more transparent and see how that comes out. I think leaving the background image makes it a little more personalized.

#5 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

I think you could leave it. If you want, try making more transparent and see how that comes out. I think leaving the background image makes it a little more personalized.

well, just for fun, here's a couple without the background images and with the saturation turned down on the second one:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Think I should leave it and just tone it down, or does it look better without the images?

#6 redsodeep

redsodeep

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

The purple one with the image looks better. The blue one is too distracting still, even without the image, the colors and your portfolio are fighting with each other.

Anyone else have anything?

#7 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

The purple one with the image looks better. The blue one is too distracting still, even without the image, the colors and your portfolio are fighting with each other.

Anyone else have anything?

K, here's 2 more, I limited it to the dark purple scheme, so which shape design do you think works better?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

Anyone else want to chime in on this? Do they suck that bad? I could really use some input. Thanks.

#9 redsodeep

redsodeep

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

Top one, for sure. The white box is too heavy and distracting. I still might take down the saturation juuusssst a little. See how you like it.

#10 NicolasAlexander

NicolasAlexander

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

I personally don't think that u need the image background, first you don't see what it is except that it has kind of an "urban feel" which u probably don't want to be associated with in case you want to do more "classic" stuff. and secondly i think a portfolio site should be as simple as possible to put the emphasis on the work. agree with redsodeep bout the saturation.

i would maybe try to play with a little color for the text because now you have a list of 6 element all white and it feels really monotone and if its all the same then you assume that everyting is clickable...or everything is not clickable. ( maybe some kind of magenta for justinporter.net)

your logo remind me of the darkness logo check it out ... http://www.allcdcove...06_retail_cd-cd

#11 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

I personally don't think that u need the image background, first you don't see what it is except that it has kind of an "urban feel" which u probably don't want to be associated with in case you want to do more "classic" stuff. and secondly i think a portfolio site should be as simple as possible to put the emphasis on the work. agree with redsodeep bout the saturation.

i would maybe try to play with a little color for the text because now you have a list of 6 element all white and it feels really monotone and if its all the same then you assume that everyting is clickable...or everything is not clickable. ( maybe some kind of magenta for justinporter.net)

your logo remind me of the darkness logo check it out ... http://www.allcdcove...06_retail_cd-cd

Ha, it totally looks like a chunkier version of the darkness logo. I'll try and work something else up from you guys suggestions. Thanks again for the imput so far. Anyone else have anything to say?

As far as the urban feel, the idea was that once I got this into flash, I wanted it to dynamically load a different image of my work into the background every time the site was loaded, but I feel like it may be more problematic than it's worth.

#12 shinjin

shinjin

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

I wanted it to dynamically load a different image of my work into the background every time the site was loaded, but I feel like it may be more problematic than it's worth.

Not really that would be one ore two lines of Actionscript code.( loadmovie + random )

#13 chrisfig

chrisfig

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Agreed on the top one. you might also look at your type a bit, it feels like sort of a first default text choice than something you really thought out as far as the typeface.

#14 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

Not really that would be one ore two lines of Actionscript code.( loadmovie + random )

Sorry, I meant it might be more problematic from a design standpoint, not a technical standpoint.

#15 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

k, made a couple more changes based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm going to try out a few different fonts for the site name and see if anything stands out to me. The reason I used Myriad before is that it's clean and easy to read, but I'll see if anything else jumps out at me that might look a little more decorative and serve the same function. What do you think about the color choice for the text? does this enhance the design? My girlfriend says it looks to girly, I kind of like it though.

Posted Image

#16 palmer

palmer

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:25 AM

If you are just looking for something that will quickly display your work -you've got it. In and out.

If I were you I would really use a different typeface. There are a billion sans-serifs that read really well that have more personality than Myriad.
I would also pay special attention to working within your bg pattern grid -because to me it looks like there isn't much attention to detail... pattern half overlapping forms etc... Just looks a bit sloppy. With a site this simple I think it definitely needs to be dialed.

#17 NicolasAlexander

NicolasAlexander

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

pink is the new black! ;)

#18 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

Ok, finally getting back to this after all the holiday craziness. So I was thinking about the background pattern, and you're right Palmer, the background pattern does look sloppy in the way that it intersects the foreground elements. I tried a couple of different pattern sizes, but the problem is that I started out with a grid system for my site and then broke it at several places in the design, so I can't really design something that's going to match up everywhere. I came up with two quick solutions for this:

Posted Image

The first is to leave out the pattern altogether and just bring a randomly selected image of my work softly into the background.

Posted Image

The second is, well, I know, diagonal stripes are overdone, but I must say I totally have a fetish for them.

As far as the font situation goes, I'm looking, but I haven't been able to find anything I really like better than Myriad yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for everyone's help so far, I do really want this incarnation of my site to look polished and professional.

#19 markokon

markokon

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

k, made a couple more changes based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm going to try out a few different fonts for the site name and see if anything stands out to me. The reason I used Myriad before is that it's clean and easy to read, but I'll see if anything else jumps out at me that might look a little more decorative and serve the same function. What do you think about the color choice for the text? does this enhance the design? My girlfriend says it looks to girly, I kind of like it though.

Posted Image

Out of all the ones I've seen this I would say is the strongest. But I don't like the typography. I would look into fonts designed by Emigre. Fonts

Or if you want to be kind of trendy... check this group out... they offer html based templates... lots of people are doing this now... if your work is visually appealing it's not bad of a path to take.

indexhibit

Edited by markokon, 06 January 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#20 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:35 AM

k, so I found some fonts that may work, here are a couple choices. What do you guys think, right path/wrong path?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm leaning toward the second or third one myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users