Dust Particles in After Effects

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 swaggerStudios

swaggerStudios

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Does anybody know a good way to create realistic dust particles in After Effects? I want this to be a 3-d layer the camera can move around and through.

#2 Harry.noeg

Harry.noeg

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Directing, Motion Graphic, VFX, 2/3D Animation, Video Compositing, Software Development

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Try trapcode particullar:

but if your realistic mean is sooooo realistic B) i think one of 3d software packages is the choice.. if you need more advance particle control i suggested realflow
Like water...
Simple but might change as complex as necessaries

#3 swaggerStudios

swaggerStudios

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

Try trapcode particullar:

but if your realistic mean is sooooo realistic B) i think one of 3d software packages is the choice.. if you need more advance particle control i suggested realflow

Cool...that's what I was hoping...but, do you know of any resources or tutorials that would help me achieve this effect in Particular? I'm kind of banging my head against the wall trying to create it with this.

#4 finegrit

finegrit

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

My old standby is to create a small white solid and write an expression that generates random 3D motion and rotation. For a starter on how to do that:

http://www.motionscr...s/random-2.html

I'd usually pre-comp it, link some of the variable in the expression to sliders in the main comp so I can control the size of the dust field and its speed of movement.

Then duplicate that solid a few hundred times.

Originally I did this because particular lacked depth of field, but I still use it because all those little layers interact nicely with lights in AE.

If you're more adventurous in your programming abilities, you can also add some code to the expression so that they will interact with other layers, but that is another lesson...

#5 Loqutis

Loqutis

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Cool...that's what I was hoping...but, do you know of any resources or tutorials that would help me achieve this effect in Particular? I'm kind of banging my head against the wall trying to create it with this.

RealFlow can do dust as well? After looking at their site it looks like all liquid effects

Edited by Loqutis, 19 February 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#6 imcalledandy

imcalledandy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Here's something to get you started, there's probably loads of tutorials online as a Google search will probably tell you... (also checkout the trapcode site for more info)

Use a custom particle, so create a new comp 200 x 200 with a masked solid (use pen tool to create a dust shape).

Apply fractal noise to the solid.

Experiment with the settings especially the brightness and contrast and use an expression like time*40 to animate the evolution to give you a bit of movement / variation.

Bring the particle comp into your comp with particular and turn its visibility off.

Tell particular to use your custom particle.

Experiment with size, opacity and the Air physics.

Hope this helps and best of luck

Edited by imcalledandy, 20 February 2009 - 06:23 PM.

#7 DeepOmega

DeepOmega

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Turbulence is your friend. A nice, slow turbulence affecting position and scale will do wonders. Also, I like to do multiple layers of dust - foreground, midground, background - so I can do some glow-y effects on the bigger foreground ones, and knock stuff out of focus. I always have issues with DOF in particular, so I just do it myself.

#8 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

Good advice all around, particularly breaking your effect down into different layers.

Also remember basic compositing.

Dust in the air occludes what is behind it, doesn't add light to it. That means your fractal noise layers need to act as luma mattes for a ramp, as opposed to creating fog, which bends the light. We can simulate that in AE with blur on an adjustment layer. Read Mark Christansen's book cover to cover.

Here's both examples in file. cs3. No particle generators used. The expression slider drives a multiplier for the turbulence amount, in the fractal_generation comp.

www.movecraft.com/clients/movecraft/dust_fog.zip

c

#9 Douglas

Douglas

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:11 AM

The Academy Award graphics package was showing a lot of dust particle love this year.

#10 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

The Academy Award graphics package was showing a lot of dust particle love this year.

That's just coke floating around.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#11 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

do the d.a.n.c.e.?

c

#12 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

@ imcalledandy - nice. Haven't done that before, looks dope. thx!

#13 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

If you use a light as the emitter, and mess around with the positioning and cone angle, then you can make that foreground layer really emulate the light hitting the bigger particles. This is great for putting particles into volumetric light sources and I can't believe I never played with it...

I'd like to put some optics distortion on these closer particles so it looks like refracted light, hmm....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users