• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

So I'm working on my reel, had this idea for my reel bumpers. I like them, but my girlfriend hates them, what do you all think? Am I on the right track or do they suck and need to be scrapped in favor of something else?

http://www.justinpor...persSample.html

#2 fishface

fishface

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:karate. shiny things

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

don't hate it. don't love it. if you do decide to use it, why not put the rest of the text in space/perspective as well? it feels strangely tacked on.

also, maybe bring a little more to it with some secondary animation. maybe some color.

#3 MHR

MHR

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

I think it looks pretty darn good. It doesn't look immature or stupid, and beyond that it's completely subjective. Obviously (as with all the work you show in your reel) the most important thing is whether or not you like it enough to use it.

#4 mncrnich

mncrnich

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:fast cars & fast women

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

simple & well executed. i think it accomplishes the goal (or at least from my understanding) it stands fine visually without any additions. however, some sound design would be nice.

my .02

-m
+

Matthew Crnich | VFX Director

website | email

+

#5 raven52321

raven52321

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

The lighting on the cg letters does not match the intensity or color of the lighting in the background. The midtones in particular look dark and red. It's also a little weird that the white text does not track to the camera move, while your name does. Otherwise, it's pretty cool. Personally, I think the background plate could have a little more color definition- it's a bit monochromatic for me, but that's just my taste. Oh yeah, and it would be hot to see the text reflect in the windows a little bit- it would be a nice subtle touch.

#6 shiftypixel

shiftypixel

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Enjoys a good logo, fun title sequence, or a neat typeface. Gets a kick out of cartoons and loves working with creative people.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

don't hate it. don't love it. if you do decide to use it, why not put the rest of the text in space/perspective as well? it feels strangely tacked on.

also, maybe bring a little more to it with some secondary animation. maybe some color.

I like these ideas, and I would also add that I felt like it might benefit from pulsating to the beat even after it builds. Just one man's opinion, though, and not a deal-killer at that. Overall I like the feel of it.

Edit: Reflection in the windows would definitely be a bonus.

Edited by shiftypixel, 25 July 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Brandon Hall
http://woodwardunderground.com |--| |--| Twitter: @woodwardundrgnd

#7 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

hey guys, thanks, excellent suggestions all around. Let me make some modifications and post again

#8 beau+++

beau+++

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

I like it, including the white text. If YOU like it, then keep it, it is your reel after all, not ours.
"Don't be a drone or a robot. Don't treat this like a McJob. Be a personal chef. Be a landscaper, custom tailor, architect. Be a designer, for fuck's sake." - Binky

#9 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

I like it, including the white text. If YOU like it, then keep it, it is your reel after all, not ours.

Thanks Paul. I agree, my reel, but it is a job seeking tool, and therefore needs to appeal to others also. I know sometimes I look at things too long and it's really helpful to have a new set of eyes on it (or a few in this case).

#10 MHR

MHR

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

I like it, including the white text.

I agree - like the standing white text. I think separating it from the camera track of your name makes it a little more interesting. I don't know why at the moment, but that subtext overlay kinds of reminds me of something vintage, which I personally like.

#11 djkorova

djkorova

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

I think its cool!

But the video footage looks too bluish. I think that could be toned down a little.

#12 beau+++

beau+++

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

Thanks Paul.

Paul? PAUL??? YOU SHALL REFER TO ME AS "SUPREME MOGRAPH DEITY BEAU" AND NOTHING ELSE!

BE GONE! CHOP CHOP!
"Don't be a drone or a robot. Don't treat this like a McJob. Be a personal chef. Be a landscaper, custom tailor, architect. Be a designer, for fuck's sake." - Binky

#13 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:23 PM

Paul? PAUL??? YOU SHALL REFER TO ME AS "SUPREME MOGRAPH DEITY BEAU" AND NOTHING ELSE!

BE GONE! CHOP CHOP!

Ha, Sorry, Supreme Mograph Deity Beau, I'll make a note of it.

#14 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:33 AM

K, made some fixes. Please check them out and let me know what you all think. The first vid on the page is with non-tracked text, second vid is tracked text. I think I'm leaning toward the tracked text.

http://www.justinpor...sSample_02.html

Thanks again for all the input so far.

#15 Guest_dumbo_*

Guest_dumbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

legibility of your name is very hard to read. esp. the 'RTER'. i would fix it.

tracked is better. agree with korova -- too blue. your 3d bricks are too dark, and i really don't like the crushed black shadow on the underside of your surname.

#16 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:43 AM

I liked the tracked better as well. I agree with dumbo on the heavy blue coloring though, and think it would stand out more with more color variance.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#17 redforty

redforty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

The only thing I'd ask is to have the plain text come on in a more interesting way. It just pops on now, which makes it stick out (and not in a good way) like a sore thumb.

Compositing could be better, imho. Couldn't tell you how, but I can say that the 3d sticks out and doesn't look right.

For the most part, it all looks pretty good though!

#18 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

http://www.justinpor...sSample_03.html

K, finally got back to this. The first vid has a little more red added to the bricks and such to add a little more color variation. Second one is the raw footage, no film effect, bleach bypass, or color correction. Does the red one work better?

Edited by jporter313, 07 August 2008 - 07:04 AM.

#19 adam_etypical

adam_etypical

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:19 AM

I personally like the uncorrected footage more. It looks more natural- like "it is what it is". The bleach bypass, super crunched-look makes me think you're trying to cover up some DV footage. I say just go for the DV look- seems to match the feel of the clip. If you are gonna do a color correction, Id suggest going either very subtle (and just barely tweaking the levels) or go super stylized- like waaayy more then your current color pass.

BTW, I like the tracked text much better as well. The clip looks awesome.

#20 jporter313

jporter313

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

http://www.justinporter.net

k, sorry I've been gone so long, decided to rework these a bit.

I didn't feel like the Bricks were really working so I decided to try and accentuate the difference between the CG and the real footage rather than trying to hide it. Also toned down the excessive bleach bypass on the bumper footage.

Please feel free to critique further either the reel bumpers themselves or anything about the reel in general.

Thanks for all the help so far.

BTW Adam, I work with your boy Brase and worked with Patrick a couple months ago, really like the stuff you guys do at etypical.

Edited by jporter313, 07 October 2008 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users