7 replies to this topic

#1 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Bicycles, pizza.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

I tried searching this today, and couldn't find it on this forum, so I thought I would post both PC and Mac ways here. These can be found easily enough by google searching, but I figured might as well post it here for people who have not considered it before.

Combined with Milkshake's BG Render script, this can save a lot of time. Especially when you need to just pull open a project and don't want to close the current one you are working on.

PC:
-Right click on the shortcut on the desktop
-Go to Properties
-In the first "Target field", add -m after the quotations. Make sure there is a space after the quotations.

I tried doing this with Premiere on the PC and it didn't work. That's about the only other program I think it could be useful for.

Mac:
-Navigate to your AE Folder
-Right click on the program icon and choose "Open package contents"
-Navigate to Contents--->MacOs---->Then make an alias to the After Effects Executable (put the Alias somewhere for quick access i.e. the dock)

And I guess there are some ways you can do this easily enough with Quicksilver on the Mac. Well enjoy, hopefully somebody finds this useful.

P.S. After starting a BG render with Milkshake's script, you can close that project and open a different one (another "in case you didn't know..."). I think that is really cool. I didn't expect it to be able to do that for some reason.

#2 Mr. Sam

Mr. Sam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I do this in cinema 4d, but I simply duplicated the Cinema Application and renamed it. I wonder if the aliasing trick will work in cinema as well.

#3 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I just tried it on a mac and it works exactly the same.

#4 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Almost six years to the day, this thread just saved me. Trying to quickly spit out a render, but the expressions in the project break when I use aerender (I have no idea why this is a problem, always drives me mad).

Popped open a few copies of AE, and now things are running along smoothly. Awesome.

#5 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,861 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

when do you need to run multiple instances of cinema?

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#6 hello.ahay

hello.ahay

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

You can also use terminal on OSX to do this. In a new window type:

"open -n" then drop your AE launcher/app into the window, hit return and viola. Works for any program as far as I can tell. 

#7 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Almost six years to the day, this thread just saved me. Trying to quickly spit out a render, but the expressions in the project break when I use aerender (I have no idea why this is a problem, always drives me mad).

Popped open a few copies of AE, and now things are running along smoothly. Awesome.

Haha, hilarious. I don't even remember posting this. Guess I've been doing this stuff "a while now".

#8 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Interests: Motion Graphics

Posted Today, 02:04 AM

I'd also highly recommend BGRender Pro if you're not familiar with it already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users