12 replies to this topic

#1 kong olav

kong olav

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone could break down what kind of animation technique family guy is based upon?

Thanks a lot :)

#2 RustyAce

RustyAce

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

its no technique....it is all 3d. done in Singapore i believe, then color corrected in ca.
rusty ace
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Pablo Picasso

#3 SaintEfan

SaintEfan

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

I didn't used to think it was 3d. I'd be curious to check out the article you read that mentioned that though.

#4 kwilli30

kwilli30

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

Really? They don't even talk about hand drawn animation in school anymore?

Although I'm sure everything is drawn in a cintiq before shipping it to Korea...paper is now reserved for curmudgeons and purists.

Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone could break down what kind of animation technique family guy is based upon?

#5 RustyAce

RustyAce

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

I didn't used to think it was 3d. I'd be curious to check out the article you read that mentioned that though.

i don't have an article but they used to release a family guy podcast that were all about the technical side of the production, it was about things like forced edits, problems with corrections etc i don't have access to itunes at the moment or i would post a link..i guess it is still up there, they only made about 10 podcast or so.

*they hand draw the boards then send those to Singapore or Korea...cant remember and they do the 3D there. Originally it may have been drawn but i cant remember.

Edited by RustyAce, 22 January 2009 - 05:02 PM.

rusty ace
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Pablo Picasso

#6 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

I want to say they use something similar to the software that "Southpark" uses.

#7 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

I want to say they use something similar to the software that "Southpark" uses.

Which would be Maya.

Also, I know there was a lot of 3D shots in the Blue Harvest special and Seth McFarlane talked about getting models from ILM and such for the various Star Wars ships.

Edited by a2visual, 22 January 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#8 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Did they always use Maya? I remember an interview where they talked about creating their own software for the first couple of seasons. Not that it matters, just throwing it out there.

#9 Albert Omoss

Albert Omoss

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Did they always use Maya? I remember an interview where they talked about creating their own software for the first couple of seasons. Not that it matters, just throwing it out there.

They have been using Maya ever since the Southpark movie. I know they built their own rendering system and tools inside Maya tailored to a 2D work-flow. That may be the custom software you remember hearing about.

#10 guera

guera

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

wow. I am quiet surprise. I thought it was 2D, Flash, maybe traditional animation.
I can see 3D in SouthPark, the way it is animated, but i can't really see on Family Guy.

I will have a look in the internet to see if I can find something about it.
--
--------------
Thiago Maia A.K.A Guera
Director/Designer/Animator
e. hello@thiago.tv
www.thiago.tv

#11 SaintEfan

SaintEfan

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

I think you may be right about, at least, the early stuff being 2d. If you look at the intro to the show there are perspective problems with the characters and the camera shifting up at the end. I imagine you wouldn't have those issues in a full 3d environment. Perhaps it sort of a hybrid approach. The backgrounds often seem to have some 3d feel to them, but the characters always tend to have a very hand drawn feel.

#12 silatix

silatix

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:mographary

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

I always hated drawing camera moves when I was school. I can see how 3d would really simplify a lot of that stuff. I thought you guys were kidding for a second there about the 3d thing though haha..
it's like theres a party in my mouth, and everyone's vomiting

#13 dansheppard

dansheppard

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:21 AM

Hi guys!

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but a quick google search brought me to this: http://www.tv.com/vi...the-scenes?o=tv

Found it interesting and relevant.
DANIEL SHEPPARD
Director/Editor/Motion GFX
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
danielsheppard.com | fb.me/dbsheppard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users