• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 animatrix

animatrix

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

I'm pretty new in C4D and hoping somebody can help me out. Let's say I created a bunch of cubes using mograph cloner object.
Is it possible to map those cloned cubes onto an extruded text or object and how?

Edited by animatrix, 22 March 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Albert Omoss

Albert Omoss

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

The C4D help is very...uhm...helpful.

Yes it's possible. Cloners have 4 different modes: Linear, Radial, Grid Array, or Object. The setting you are looking for is Object. You can also fill the space inside an object with clones by using a Volume Effector.

Edited by Albert Omoss, 22 March 2009 - 01:29 AM.

#3 animatrix

animatrix

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:14 AM

The C4D help is very...uhm...helpful.

Yes it's possible. Cloners have 4 different modes: Linear, Radial, Grid Array, or Object. The setting you are looking for is Object. You can also fill the space inside an object with clones by using a Volume Effector.

I understand the object mode, but I'm still not seeing anything. Ok, b4 I even get to the volume effector, I used the mograph text object to bring in some texts.
Do I need to convert this to polygon first or leave as is? I left it as it was and drag text object onto the Cloner object in the attributes panel below, but nothing.

#4 Albert Omoss

Albert Omoss

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

Yes, the object must be polygonal to act as a cloner object. Mograph text objects are NURBS and must be converted to polygons for use with a cloner.

#5 animatrix

animatrix

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes, the object must be polygonal to act as a cloner object. Mograph text objects are NURBS and must be converted to polygons for use with a cloner.

Thanks for your help so far. I noticed after I converted my texts to polygons, there are 2 Caps within Extrude Nurbs. I set the Extruded Nurbs as my object in the cloner object below which created the cloned objects(cubes) on the edges of my text - front and back, but nothing in the middle.

Now I guess this is where Volume Effector comes in. What parameters do I set in the effector cuz I'm not seeing any reaction? Do I need to set the Volume Effector as a parent to anything?

#6 stoiqa

stoiqa

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for your help so far. I noticed after I converted my texts to polygons, there are 2 Caps within Extrude Nurbs. I set the Extruded Nurbs as my object in the cloner object below which created the cloned objects(cubes) on the edges of my text - front and back, but nothing in the middle.

Now I guess this is where Volume Effector comes in. What parameters do I set in the effector cuz I'm not seeing any reaction? Do I need to set the Volume Effector as a parent to anything?

use a text/spline and multiply that on z axis?

#7 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Select the Extruded Nurbs object and the 2 caps then right click and select connect then drag the new object into the Object field on the cloner.

#8 animatrix

animatrix

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Select the Extruded Nurbs object and the 2 caps then right click and select connect then drag the new object into the Object field on the cloner.

I feel like I'm getting close. I didn't use Volume Effector, but in Cloner Object, I changed the mode to Volume and up the count to 3000 cubes(see below) and what I got was random distribution of cubes. How do I get it to distribute evenly? and is this the proper way of doing it or should I still be using Volume Effector?

Posted Image

Edited by animatrix, 22 March 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#9 Albert Omoss

Albert Omoss

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Heres an example file:
TextVolumeCloner.c4d

I'm not sure if this is what you are going for, but I have the clones evenly distributed in a grid filling up the text. The plain effector is being used to set all the clones scale to 0.001. Then the volume effector is being used to rescale the clones which fall inside the text x1000. There may be a much simpler way to do it. If anyone has a better solution I would be really interested.

#10 stoiqa

stoiqa

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Heres an example file:
TextVolumeCloner.c4d

I'm not sure if this is what you are going for, but I have the clones evenly distributed in a grid filling up the text. The plain effector is being used to set all the clones scale to 0.001. Then the volume effector is being used to rescale the clones which fall inside the text x1000. There may be a much simpler way to do it. If anyone has a better solution I would be really interested.

thx Albert...my circle ^_^

Posted Image

Edited by stoiqa, 22 March 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#11 animatrix

animatrix

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Heres an example file:
TextVolumeCloner.c4d

Cool thanks...that's pretty much what I'm looking for except now I'm kind of confused of using both plain and volume effector...lol Anyway, I'll have to use this as reference.

Here's mine and if anyone can figure out another way to distribute evenly, please let me know.
sample_text.c4d

#12 eyedesyn

eyedesyn

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Cool thanks...that's pretty much what I'm looking for except now I'm kind of confused of using both plain and volume effector...lol Anyway, I'll have to use this as reference.

Here's mine and if anyone can figure out another way to distribute evenly, please let me know.
sample_text.c4d

Just wanted to give a heads up that this scene file really helped a lot!

Volume effector was the missing link, its strange how you have to jack up the scale values so much to achieve that effect but glad I know about it!

Thanks!

#13 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Take a look at this:

http://www.robertleg...dex.php?view=07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users