20 replies to this topic

#1 ultrus

ultrus

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello there,

I have a question and hope you guys can help me figuring out.

I need to get a few countries extruded while panning around the earth.
Solo out and solo back in.
Therefore I would like to have a geometry of the earth where I can extrude countries independent from each other.
Another way is to get the extrusion from a animated map and displace it, but the direct way with splines would be the best.

Has anybody a plan, a tutorial where I get this described?

regards
springreel 09 // www.define01.com

#2 Woodhouse

Woodhouse

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Coincidentally, I'm looking to do the same thing. Any ideas?

#3 suntoucher

suntoucher

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

When you say 'geometry of the earth' are you saying you want the map/countries mapped to a globe, or sphere? Or will they just be flat?

#4 Woodhouse

Woodhouse

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

When you say 'geometry of the earth' are you saying you want the map/countries mapped to a globe, or sphere? Or will they just be flat?

I think we both mean a spherical globe to pan around.

#5 mikeh64

mikeh64

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

extrusions can't have the big spherical face I think you're looking for, so I doubt you'll solve this with extruding a spline

try subpoly displacement

#6 ultrus

ultrus

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

yeah, a sphere....

I think I will get close with an animated map and displacement.
Not so nice to control but seems ok, too.

THX tough

#7 yoni bendor

yoni bendor

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

how about getting a vector map , exporting to good ol' .ai8 , extruding that in c4d using the Hierarchy tab ON (under extrude nurbs) then creating a circle spline, and using Spline wrap to wrap your extrude nurbs object to that circle spline, then, duplicate the object as many times as you need, and just tick the unnecessary parts in each spline so you'll only see the specific country you'll want to extrude.

hope I was clear?

#8 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

I've done this a lot.
Use splines that are in a Platte Carre Projection and deform the extrusion (or several extrusions) with a Wrap Deformer (set to spherical). As you Extrude each individual country it maintain's its spherical curve.

Completely non-destructive. Very accurate.
I've even used it to place half a million lines of Google data on the Earth with metric Lat/Long input.

-m

EDIT: Give it a try for yourself first, but if you're having trouble figuring it out I'll post an example.

Edited by the_Monkey, 09 November 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#9 vozzz

vozzz

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,007 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:35 AM

I'd do it with the mograph displace deformer. just have a seperate deformer for each country and you should be sweet.

the_Monkey's method might work too, but i don't quite understand it. I'd personally love to see a scene file.

cheers.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#10 Kokosing

Kokosing

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

I've done this a lot.
Use splines that are in a Platte Carre Projection and deform the extrusion (or several extrusions) with a Wrap Deformer (set to spherical). As you Extrude each individual country it maintain's its spherical curve.

Completely non-destructive. Very accurate.
I've even used it to place half a million lines of Google data on the Earth with metric Lat/Long input.

-m

EDIT: Give it a try for yourself first, but if you're having trouble figuring it out I'll post an example.

I totally agree with Monkey. I've made a LOT of globes and this is by far my favorite. It lets you do everything on a flat map and then switch on the deformer and, presto, it's a globe.

My standard way is to make a plane 3600 x 1800. (These dimensions are very handy if you need to use any Geo coordinates - especially Lat/Long in decimal format. As Monkey pointed out, you can import ASCII coordinate files and get very accurate location info.) 36 X segments, 18 Y (You can up this later if you need to.) Set up a wrap deformer and rotate it to line up with your plane. Set it to spherical. Make it's width, height and radius, 3600, 1800, and 2000. Long Start:90, End: 450, Lat Start: -90, End: 90.

This will give you a globe of similar size to the original plane.

For your deformation, start with a good earth image, preferably a projection that works well when mapped onto a sphere. Copy it for each country you want to extrude. Back in Photoslop, create displacement maps for the countries you want to extrude. Just make them white and the rest black.

In C4D pop these in the displacement channel and set the displacement to intensity. You'll probably want to use sub-poly here unless you have a very hi-res plane to start with. The brilliance is that the deformer will allow the extrusion.

Good luck,

W

Edited by Kokosing, 10 November 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#11 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Posted Image

-m

#12 gcole_5

gcole_5

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Monkey (and others)! I always learn so much from the files/techniques you share...

#13 ultrus

ultrus

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Bowow!

Great solution Monkey!

Thnak u very much!

#14 ultrus

ultrus

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Master Monkey!

The terribly annoying degrading thing is in fact, that I tried to figure this way out, too.
But my mesh looked so messy, that I thougt this way won't work.
Baaaaaah I think I had a big knot in my head.

The splines are matching perfect.
Did you import the paths from Illustrator or directly paint them in C4D?

Bests, JC

#15 deceasar

deceasar

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

This is rad. Thanks Monkey.
deceasar.com

#16 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

The splines are matching perfect.
Did you import the paths from Illustrator or directly paint them in C4D?

Usually I build all my splines in C4D, but for this I use AI since there are so many dirt cheap (or free) resources online for vector maps. The texture I'm using matches the splines so well because it was rasterized from the original splines. I would encourage this workflow, because it is very easy to change colors, data, and border thickness on a per project basis.

-m

#17 dan_hin

dan_hin

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, sci-fi, mograph

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Monkey you just saved my Friday. Thanks!!

#18 beyla

beyla

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hey Monkey, I was reading through this awesome post and was wondering if you have the eps file you used for the earth? I know you were saying there are lots of free ones out there but I'm having a hard time finding one that is high res, eps, and has the countries divided. Thought you may still have it lying around somewhere and could post it. If not I understand no worries, just thought I would ask.

#19 thekinginyellow

thekinginyellow

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hey Monkey, I was reading through this awesome post and was wondering if you have the eps file you used for the earth? I know you were saying there are lots of free ones out there but I'm having a hard time finding one that is high res, eps, and has the countries divided. Thought you may still have it lying around somewhere and could post it. If not I understand no worries, just thought I would ask.

Aren't all vector files (technically) high res? If it comes down to it treat Mr.Bezier with dinner and a movie and he should be able to help you separate your countries.

#20 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

-m

Planet of the Apes!!!!
(sorry...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users