more than 24000 people dead ...

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:01 AM

... and nobody talking about it?! How many died in the World Trade Center? 4000? This is at least 6-fold. Totally beyond my imagination. And still a hundredthousand missed, about half a million homeless.

People in Asia and everybody who has friends and relatives there - you have my sympathy. Don't know what else to say.

#2 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:50 AM

it made the front page of every newspaper i saw today, so i guess some people are talkig about it.

#3 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:19 AM

I mean here on the board. Of course it's on the news. I know that everybody cares. But it just feels strange when nobody here even mentions the topic. I just had to get it off my mind.

#4 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

nature has no conscience.

#5 Guest_silatix_*

Guest_silatix_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:24 AM

its true.. if it was an unnatural act.. specifically of war it probably wouldve been brought it up by now..

regardless.. i feel like im having trouble just fathoming what happened there.. it just seems so impossible.. and eerily enough i had a similar dream about that kind of event last week, except i survived and i swam back to my apartment (it was under a hundred feet of water) to get my harddrives..

#6 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:40 AM

I have the feeling that there have been more catastrophies in the recent years than usual. Not sure though. But all those floods and earthquakes, heavy snowstorms in autumn and all that. I'm scared that this might be the beginning of nature's revenge. Although nature has no conscience there might be a man-made cause for this.

#7 Guest_atslopes_*

Guest_atslopes_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:45 AM

igorschmigor wrote:

... and nobody talking about it?! How many died in the World Trade Center? 4000? This is at least 6-fold. Totally beyond my imagination. And still a hundredthousand missed, about half a million homeless.  

i learned this in global communications class, the country with the least intrest has the most power. If the US doesnt give a damn if it makes them seem like tough guys or the situation doesnt affect us. yeah if 24000 people died in the USA on one single day the newspapers and tv station would make you think that the world was coming to an end.

:lol: but look how hypocritical the US is as a country
Alcohol linked to 75,000 U.S. deaths a year, but yet its advertised contantly on tv like the national drink. I personally know people who have been throught the windshield, had broken homes and are in prison as a result of alcohol. The US doesnt give a damn because its a slow killer, meaning 75,000 people dont die each day. Its like the the US is bleeding to death without even knowing it.Now imagine god forbid if in 2005 75,000 people died from several terrorists attacks in the USA. I gurantee you that law enforcement and homeland sequrity would be so paranoid they would imprison every single muslim or person or arabic decent in the USA. Think not look what happened after 911.

Posted Image

DARE: Drug Abuse Resistance Education --ok lets frighten the crap out of 3 and 4 graders about the affects of taking drugs and lets hope when by the time they graduate from high school there not addicted to drugs :D :lol:

#8 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:48 AM

i don't care about earthquakes unless they have deer heads, rainbows or paint drips.

#9 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

pardon my listless existentialist absurdist point of view, but it all reminds me of a fabulous onion article: World Death Rate Holding Steady At 100 Percent

#10 Guest_Nhowe_*

Guest_Nhowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 06:45 AM

i cant imagine seeing a wall of water that big, i heard on the news that the this happened before in alaska, and the wave created was like 1100 ft high! that must be some scary shit! i wonder if there is any video of the wave... there had to be some webcam on a building or traffic cam by the coast that caught the inital wave....it must look so surreal

#11 Guest_silatix_*

Guest_silatix_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:12 AM

theres a bunch of video shot by tourists that they show on cnn. it wasnt one wave.. theres like a pretty big wave, then it goes away and you can hear everyone sighing in relief and then suddenly shit gets real bad.. then real worse then cut.

#12 Guest_superegophobia_*

Guest_superegophobia_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:12 AM

Here's some links I found. I did the "International Response Fund" of the Red Cross:

https://www.redcross...nation-form.asp

The following are various other organizations accepting donations.

----
ACTION AGAINST HUNGER
www.actionagainsthunger.org

AMERICAN JEWISH WORLD SERVICE
www.ajws.org

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE
AFSC Crisis Fund
www.afsc.org

AMERICAN RED CROSS
International Response Fund
800-HELP NOW
www.redcross.org

CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES
Tsunami Emergency
www.catholicrelief.org

DIRECT RELIEF INTERNATIONAL
www.directrelief.org

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS
www.doctorswithoutborders.org

INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS
Earthquake/Tsunami Relief
www.imcworldwide.org

AMERICAN JEWISH JOINT DISTRIBUTION COMMITTEE
South Asia Tsunami Relief
www.jdc.org

MERCY CORPS
Southeast Asia Earthquake Response Dept. W
www.mercycorps.org

OPERATION USA
www.opusa.org

SAVE THE CHILDREN
Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund
www.savethechildren.org

ISLAMIC RELIEF USA
Southeast Asia Earthquake Emergency
www.irw.org/asiaquak

#13 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:24 AM

pardon my listless existentialist absurdist point of view, but it all reminds me of a fabulous onion article:  World Death Rate Holding Steady At 100 Percent

Yes, we all die anyway, that's true. Can i quote you when your wife dies in the next catastrophy to cheer you up?

#14 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:33 AM

oh i wasn't trying to be a complete asshole. obviously death is a terrible thing and although we all know it's inevitable, it still tears us apart when it happens, so rest assured that when someone close to me perishes... i will be sad, regardless of the truths presented in the onion article.

on a tangent related to the initial post, regardless of the your politics, i think an event like the world trade center will get more discussion because it is an act of conscious murder by those capable of conscious thought as opposed to an act of unconcious murder by an uncaring and unknowing natural force. so we could look at death, and death by natural disaster as a natural and unavoidable part of existence (one could consider natural death a natural disaster) whereas death at the hands of another creature capable of intelligent and conscious thought can warrant more serious discussion due to the percieved notion that there is a potential to prevent such an event from occuring again. the idea that discussion can change a man, although somewhat far-fetched, is not nearly as ludicrous as hoping that discussion could potentially stop massive earthquakes, or (as implied in the article i posted) the phenomenon of death itself.

#15 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image

#16 Guest_headbox_*

Guest_headbox_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:02 PM

I guess there's a shortage of angels so god had to kill thousands of tourists.

#17 Guest_atslopes_*

Guest_atslopes_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:00 PM

good one headbox blame god for the disaster, the only time people recognize that god exists is during a disaster.you should have seen my college 3 years ago on 911, they were calling every single church asking them to pray. :lol:

#18 Guest_I can't draw_*

Guest_I can't draw_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:22 PM

As of this morning, the reported death toll just rose to 44,000.

For anyone making jokes about this, shame on you.

If this is an indication of the maturity level of the members of this board, I don't think I'll be coming back here any time soon.

That's all I have to say.

#19 Guest_Drngd Kreationz_*

Guest_Drngd Kreationz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

As sad as this is, I am going to have to agree with fred on a few levels.

This was a natural disaster not an act of murder, All that I could do when i heard the news is give a moment of silence and reflect on how hard it must be for anyone in that local area to deal with something so tragic. I can't though, bring it up on an internet forum board and either complain or whine about it. Even if I had someone like a relative or a close friend who did die I would still handle that with the friends and family only.. keep it behind closed doors.

#20 Guest_chibosa_*

Guest_chibosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:57 PM

Personally I've been following this story on the bbc website. But its getting considerable coverage on american news....at least on cnn and msnbc. i dont watch fox so i dont know but I assume they followed suit. Still I didn't bring it up on this board but I did bring it up on others. Horrible tragedy that will be talked about for decades to come and the economic, political, and social fallout is gonna send ripples across the globe for some time. Trust it will affect all of our lives in some form. I'm pretty strapped for cash right now but I will be trying to donate something to a charity to help out the survivors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users