Photo

Ultimate Quicktime Gamma fix_h.264 codec.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:48 AM

Head over to my blog to check out the link to the new x.264 quicktime export codec.
Its pretty nice. Fixes the washed out color problem that occurs with the h.264 codec.
You can check a comparison on my blog.
http://kevingabriel2...ad-win-mac.html

There is a sweet new PC version for the Super v.2010 build.48.
Much more stable and way less crashes.
For the PC version, head to the bottom of the download page and find the link to download.
Follow the instruction and ENJOY.

A good tip is to make all the setting changes to the GUI and close the program.
When you reopen the program all the changes will be there and it will be a breeze to render your files.
Otherwise I have found that when you change settings and process a render you tend to get crashes.

Edited by lethal_dose, 19 May 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#2 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Interests: Compositing
    Motion Graphics

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:12 AM

You know its h.264 right... and there's a separate plugin called x264...

Edited by dotcommer, 01 March 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#3 froj

froj

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

I need to do some more scientific tests but for me it's better than h264 but can sometimes overcompensate and push things too dark - may just be me not having a solid colour management workflow worked out. I can get consistency through my comp window, animation codec and h/x264 in QT7 now but snow leopard QTX h264 is a ballache. Stupid upgrade.

ps. the link to your blog is wrong

#4 Bartleby

Bartleby

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:scrivening

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

Actually, x264 is not a codec - it's is a free, open-source library implementing parts of H.264 for encoding H.264/AVC video streams.

Plus the export file plays fine when sent to my producer without the codec installed on your computer.

That's because QuickTime (or VLC, or whatever else you've got installed that decodes H.264) is doing the playback. Repeat after me: "x264 is not a codec."

#5 anothername

anothername

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

So is this just the same old x264 plugin for QT (which works great for me) or is this something new?

#6 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

It's the same old x.264 plugin for QT. The link is fixed sorry for the poor copy and paste.

Edited by lethal_dose, 02 March 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#7 T02

T02

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

..but does anybody have any idea (if it's possible, in the first place) how to integrate this codec into the windows-based quicktime?

Edited by T02, 04 April 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#8 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

I will check it out and get back to you. The mac version is so much simpler than the PC set up. If I could find a way to get the codec in the QT PC hierarchy then that would be really sweet.

#9 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

A quick tip as well. Sometimes the shots will be too dark, about 30%. I find if you raise the brightness in the adjustment settings under the filter tab. It gives a much more balanced look.

#10 T02

T02

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

I will check it out and get back to you. The mac version is so much simpler than the PC set up. If I could find a way to get the codec in the QT PC hierarchy then that would be really sweet.

hey, cheers, awesome!
i'll make sure to keep an eye on this thread.

#11 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Okay people. Earlier this year I distributed an amazing codec for the Mac to use within Quicktime.
But there was no simple option for use on the PC. After some research I found this freeware x.264 encoder

Here is a stand alone x.264 encoder for the PC
Super Encoder link and comparison

Compared to other encoders by sound forge and other this is a simple one click method.
Check it out. I know this will help in creating high quality reduced file size renders.

Edited by lethal_dose, 05 October 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#12 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

There is a sweet new PC version for the Super v.2010 build.39.
Much more stable and way less crashes.
For the PC version, head to the bottom of the download page and find the link to download.
Follow the instruction and ENJOY.

http://kevingabriel2...ad-win-mac.html

#13 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Good article here:

http://byteful.com/b...g-in-quicktime/

#14 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

A good tip is to make all the setting changes to the GUI and close the program.
When you reopen the program all the changes will be there and it will be a breeze to render your files.
Otherwise I have found that when you change settings and process a render you tend to get crashes.

#15 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys and gals,
I was looking for some help on setting up an effect with the Mograph cloner object.
So I complied some of the info that I found around the net.
Click on the link to my blog:
http://kevingabriel2...and-simple.html

I hope these tips are helpful and reduce the amount of fumbling that takes place that many people face when setting up Mograph object and animations.

#16 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hey guys,
I wanted to pass on a new workflow practice I've have been using. While meeting with the development team at Adobe After Effects.

They were showing me that I could render my deliverable projects using quicktime movie format but instead of animation codec but rather using the PNG codec. This set up creates a format that has 95% of the accuracy that you get with the animation codec, but one third of the size.

Edited by lethal_dose, 25 July 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#17 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I just mentioned the use of quicktime movie with a PNG codec for movie file deliverables. Now there are some caveat to this workflow. When you playback the file directly from the quicktime file on your desktop the playback will stutter. However when you load the file into final cut, avid or After effects for playback and layoff to tape the playback is flawless.
There is a about a 5-7% loss in the file quality as opposed to animation codec, but the file is one third of the size. This loss is not visible for playback on HDTV set boxes. The loss may be noticed with playback is used on movie theater digital setups. Now someone can give me feedback if they ever use this in movie theater playback setups.

#18 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

The real issue with PNG in QT is that you're limited to 8 bits per color channel. In previous threads, we've covered the head-to-head comparisons between QT using PNG, and the Animation codec. PNG and Animation are both visually lossless when Animation is set to less than 100%. PNG is slightly slower to write because of the compression. Animation at 100% quality is completely lossless, meaning really huge files.

Most people doing work that will be composited later want to use still frame sequences in file formats such as OpenEXR so they can maintain 16 bit color depth and add additional channels containing things like normals, depth, etc.

I just mentioned the use of quicktime movie with a PNG codec for movie file deliverables. Now there are some caveat to this workflow. When you playback the file directly from the quicktime file on your desktop the playback will stutter. However when you load the file into final cut, avid or After effects for playback and layoff to tape the playback is flawless.
There is a about a 5-7% loss in the file quality as opposed to animation codec, but the file is one third of the size. This loss is not visible for playback on HDTV set boxes. The loss may be noticed with playback is used on movie theater digital setups. Now someone can give me feedback if they ever use this in movie theater playback setups.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#19 lethal_dose

lethal_dose

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

I agree with Sao_Bento regarding the use of OpenEXR or even TIFF sequences for superior file delivery of graphic animations. In addition, the option to have 16 and 32 bit file delivery makes those formats great for high end client work.
I mainly use OpenEXR and TIFF sequence formats when delivering 3D render to clients along with the various beauty passes.
I was only giving visitors to these forums an update to a new addition to my workflow using PNG QT codec for delivery of on-air broadcast movie files. Most of the final on-air composited AE projects are often paired down to 8bit color depth, so they are faster to work with since many of these broadcast companies are often working with slow ass computers and piss poor graphic cards.
I hope this gives an insight as to where I was coming from working on a broadcast level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users