Photo

10 pro tips on applying for motion / broadcast / designer jobs.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 three5

three5

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

I am in the middle of another search for a broadcast designer, and after slogging through several hundred reels and resumes, I thought I might give some tips about how to effectively and efficiently make your job submission have a little more appeal. I seem to need to do this hiring thing a couple of times a year, and I see a lot of the same mistakes come up again and again.

1- the link to your reel / portfolio should be one of the first things that is seen on your cover letter.
2- make sure your link works.
3- in your cover letter, be brief, be to the point, and for the love of all things holy do not gush about what a perfect opportunity for you this job is, or that you are sure that you are a good fit for the team. it makes you sound desperate, and even if you happen to actually be desperate, you don't want to come across like you are in your cover letter.
4- spell check. please. for the children.
5- do not ramble on, you aren't being graded on the length of your cover letter. especially if it references anything mentioned in #3.
6- your reel should start with your best work. while i appreciate some build up etc, i am looking at hundreds of reels every time i hire someone. im gonna close the window and next you if the first thing i see is some mediocre student project that was put in so you had enough material to fill out the 4:56 techno track that you threw at your montage.
7- edit. editing. please at least show that you tried to edit your work. a truly great song does not need to use every key on the piano, if you know what i mean. 1-2 minutes is about perfect for a reel, don't feel like it needs to be any longer than that. also, if you are going to use a music track for a montage, try and cut to the beat. it shows some polish and effort that will help you stand out.
8- on your website, make sure the navigation is clear and easy for me to find your reel. please also make sure your reel is in a common format / codec. quicktime or vimeo are wonderful, but you can't reasonably expect me to be able to view your SheerVideo Pro X file.
9- this is just a personal preference, but if you insist on creating a reel for each season / year, make sure that when i see it, it is currently that season / year. it is just about spring 2010 now, i'm not sure that i am looking at your most current work if your reel says fall 2006.
10- do yourself a favor, if you call yourself an art director or a creative director, please show me at least one job where you have held that title. while we are at it, if you label yourself as director level on your website or resume or cv, it looks awkward if you are applying for a jr or designer position. just sayin'.

Edited by three5, 11 March 2010 - 10:48 PM.

#2 mete_shop

mete_shop

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Damn, it's been a while three5! Nice to see you back, and behind such epic posts.

Totally seen many of the examples you site when looking for applicants at an old place. Hilariously, some people will send you an email and neglect to even link to a reel or website! Really??

You've nailed all of it pretty much. There's a whole sea of shitty designers out there, it only takes a little polish to really stand out.

#3 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Awesome post!

#4 three5

three5

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

i'v been around, lurking mostly because i've been pretty busy. i do stop in here to read up a couple of times a week, and i should post more i suppose.

i'm happy i could share my little brain fart with some people that might find it useful.

#5 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

I think i follow all those reels.

but not being fan of full time work, work is still not as plentiful as i would like i guess.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#6 boy.finley

boy.finley

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

7- edit. editing. please at least show that you tried to edit your work. a truly great song does not need to use every key on the piano, if you know what i mean. 1-2 minutes is about perfect for a reel, don't feel like it needs to be any longer than that. also, if you are going to use a music track for a montage, try and cut to the beat. it shows some polish and effort that will help you stand out.

Cutting to the beat ≠ great editing though. You don't need to cut on the same beat of every measure for 2 mins.

#7 Spence

Spence

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

Cutting to the beat ≠ great editing though. You don't need to cut on the same beat of every measure for 2 mins.

He obviously wasn't telling you to make a cut on equal intervals to every beat of the song, he was saying take the song into account while making your cuts.

#8 BKM

BKM

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Although I agree with everything in the post, I am not sure I can respect it coming from someone whose avatar has dancing butt cheeks in it.

#9 monovich

monovich

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:shiny things, shiny graphics, shiny bikes

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

Although I agree with everything in the post, I am not sure I can respect it coming from someone whose avatar has dancing butt cheeks in it.

I disagree. I think the butt cheeks serve as a heavy underscore for everything he says.

#10 monovich

monovich

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:shiny things, shiny graphics, shiny bikes

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

p.s. great list three5.

Also, don't put your paper route or pizza hut stint on your occupational record. fib a little and say "self-funded creative sabbatical" if you have to fill the gap.

#11 blackinkisnice

blackinkisnice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

p.s. great list three5.

Also, don't put your paper route or pizza hut stint on your occupational record. fib a little and say "self-funded creative sabbatical" if you have to fill the gap.

"Self funded creative sabbatical" I LOVE that. I'm going to use it now.
I once had to sit through an 10 min student reel. It was torture.

#12 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

This is a great post. I thought that I should bump this.

Does anyone have some more tips about cover letters? Most of this list seems to describe websites.

Describing yourself as a fast learner is something that seems to be overused.

#13 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

Does anyone have some more tips about cover letters? Most of this list seems to describe websites.
Describing yourself as a fast learner is something that seems to be overused.

Cover letters are overrated IMO. I think a cover letter would stand more chances at hurting, or being okay at best. The problem with a cover letter is that you don't know who your pitching to. In person, you can read off the person interviewing you and tailor your pitch / story on the fly. Some people appreciate you being more relaxed and off the cuff, while others could want a more conservative brass tacks kinda guy.

For people outside of the creative industry, I can see how cover letters are important. Luckily for us, the reel generally does all of the talking. If they are interested, they will want to know more and bring you in. It provides us with somewhat of a stage curtain to be unveiled only when its showtime.

My cover letter (freelance, mind you) :

Hi,

I'm available to help out with the ______ project. I currently have no bookings from the 13th through the 29th.

Reel at http://www.MyWesbite.com/

Thanks,

Sig

I think producers appreciate not having to read more than a sentence and a link.

But.... here is a coverletter I used back in the FT days that seemed to work well.

Someday, Some month whatever-ith, 20whocares

Friends at ____Company Name________,

My name is__________ and I am interested in the ______________ position, as listed within ____________. I am currently / was presently employed by ___________ as a ______________, and come from a _________________ background. I feel that I fit the description as posted on the
____________ website and would be an excellent addition to the company. As the ____(previous / current position)______ within the _____(previous / current employer______ office, my responsibilities have included __________________, ______________________, ___________________, _______________________, _______________________, and __________________. Prior to my current / previous employment, I worked for ______ years as an ____________, which over time turned into a __________________ position.

Samples of my work may been seen via my website at: www.MyWebsite.com

Matching skills as described within the job description:

• Proficient with Final Cut Pro
  • High degree of knowledge & experience with professional-level video archival formats (HDCAM, HDCAM SR, DIGIBETA, etc) and related hardware
  • Blah blah blah
  • Blah blah blah
  • Blah blah blah
  • Blah blah blah

Attached is my resume and a copy of the cover letter in PDF format. If you require a format other than PDF, please advise so I may send you the appropriate file type. Feel free to contact me by any means listed below.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

- Sig

I am interested in seeing what others do though.

Edited by AromaKat, 20 October 2010 - 12:53 AM.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#14 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

11. If the job post says local, then don't send an email if you're remote on the other side of the world. It's annoying, clogs up inboxes, and will just get deleted.

12. Follow instructions.

13. Don't adress your email to the HR department, “dear sir/madam”, or “to whom it may concern”, it's annoying and I'm more apt to look at someone that is more conversational than proper, but that's just my preference…

#15 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:58 AM

We already know Andrew Kramer can do cool motion graphics. Don't put his work on your reel.

#16 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

I've read that it's better to ask for an interview instead of the job (in regards to full-time...I'm not sure about freelance).

I'm really not sure how well my cover letters have worked. I mean I got a job...so I guess it worked.

#17 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

We already know Andrew Kramer can do cool motion graphics. Don't put his work on your reel.

Cool I just replaced all my Andrew Kramer with Greyscalegorilla <_<

#18 RVA8

RVA8

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Cool I just replaced all my Andrew Kramer with Greyscalegorilla <_<

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#19 themotiongeek

themotiongeek

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

great post! thanks for the helpful tips!

lol

#20 Nick Campbell

Nick Campbell

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Mograph, Photography, Online Software, CSS,

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

This Thread is invaluable to students and people trying to get work in the industry. Thanks to everyone who added to it.

Cheers,
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users