• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 llevante

llevante

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

First of all, hi to all of you,

I'm new to C4D, and this is my first post. Hopefully you'll excuse my little knowledge even though i work with other motion tools. I've looked for many tutorials and searched a lot before to actually ask something here. I was working on a project on After Effects, and thought it would be a good idea to start exploring 3D.

Here's my question. I'm trying to create to animate a sphere, where some of the polygons get extruded, at different speeds and moments. I've tried animating with the extrude tool but discovered it was impossible. I then tried with the Mograph and got some results there. Only problem, the sides are no more editable, and even worse, they all animate at the same time.

Can you please tell me how to create this random extrude knowing that i ll have to edit the image in After Effects after.

This is the result i want to get

Thank you all in advance,

ll

#2 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

there are several ways to achieve this sort of effect, each with different methodologies.

1. Investigate the displacement settings on your material. try Displace with noise>cell pattern

2. or, if you like the control of mograph, why not arrange several cubes around a center point using a target effector, and then use a random effector to push them out away from the center point?

3. you can animate with the extrude tool, but you have to save your geometry states and morph between them. for this, investigate PLA (point level animation) or check out the Morph tag.

4. finally, there is a mograph object of the extrude tool they made specifically for these sorts of tasks. check out the extrude deformer.

c

#3 pietums

pietums

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

its not Displace but Bump material

#4 benr0ck

benr0ck

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

1 option: go here and click on 'cell noise' on the left. (exactly what the other commenter was describing)http://www.cybergooc...e/c4d_noise.htm

2nd option: make a cube, make a sphere. Put the cube in a mograph cloner object and map it to the sphere. Play with parameters.

#5 llevante

llevante

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

OK THANK YOU ALL!!! I'll try all of these techniques. Eventually one will work! ;) Otherwise i'll come back crawling.

Thank you for your time again!

#6 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

its not Displace but Bump material

Bump is a 2d post effect. It won't actually displace geometry.

One more hint, there is a displace deformer as well in the mograph objects. If you want to see your displacement in the viewport rather then at rendertime, you may wish to investigate this as well.

#7 thekinginyellow

thekinginyellow

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

i found a neat plugin called chestnuts and it's mainly for making greebles. it allows you to randomly select polygons on an object. so, make your sphere, convert it to an object and select all of the polygons. use chestnuts to randomly set your selected then use extrude to pull the polygons out. not sure if you can animate them in and out though.

#8 jonidunno2

jonidunno2

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

sorry to respond so late... what you can do is select a sphere and commit it, next select face mode and select all the faces on your sphere, last select the extrude function located under structure ( make sure in the options of the tool you check off perserve groups and set the variation to 100%) then drag and walla.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users