The SSD advantage

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 manycheese

manycheese

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

At my work placement they often use 8 250gb SSDs in RAID in the high end media servers.
The speed is crazy!

One day I hope to steal one of those computers.

#22 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Interests: Compositing
    Motion Graphics

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Have you looked into having dual drives in your macbook pro? There are kits out there that allow you to replace your CD drive with another hard drive. You could theoretically have an ssd boot drive, then a regular 7200rpm drive as your main. That way you can grab a smaller, cheaper ssd drive, and get the best of both worlds.

Edited by dotcommer, 03 February 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#23 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

I put a 320 GB OCZ SSD in my laptop. For 3 glorious days it hauled ass. Then on the third day it failed equally as gloriously. No warning, total failure. I put a new 500GB regular HDD back in and now my SSD sits on a desk :(
chris smith :: some of my work

#24 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

I put a 320 GB OCZ SSD in my laptop. For 3 glorious days it hauled ass. Then on the third day it failed equally as gloriously. No warning, total failure. I put a new 500GB regular HDD back in and now my SSD sits on a desk :(

Was it MLC or SLC?

SLC costs more because it's more reliable/faster.

Also Intel makes the best SSD's,

#25 scott frizzle

scott frizzle

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'm still annoyed that this technology hasn't become more affordable by now. I'm due for a new workstation and I feel like setting up another RAID with conventional HDD's is so Flintstones. Yeah, I know, proven technology and all, but seriously, moving parts? What year is this?

There are some interesting products out there that have SSD's mounted on a PCI card (to overcome the 3gbps limit of SATA) that claim 1400 MB/ sec read/ write times. Yes please. $10,000 price tag? No thanks.

I've whined about this before, but I still wish Apple (or someone) would invest 5% of the effort they put into their consumer products into pushing workstations forward. I know all the reasons that they don't but I want it anyway. When was the last time your new computer had any kind of significant technological advancement over your last one, aside from modestly faster components? I'd like to see someone totally rethink the workstation from the ground up and blast through some of the long standing performance barriers that we all deal with every day.

I was reminded last week during round the clock renders of a really stupid thing I said over a decade ago: "Someday this will all be done in real time." Pffff

#26 Duder

Duder

Loser

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

Hard drives are still fine if you're doing a safe-RAID (ie RAID6, RAID10, etc).

I think SSDs are great for OS drives. That's about it for now.

These memory chips, especially high grade ones, are really expensive to make.

Edited by pix3l, 05 February 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#27 culpfiction

culpfiction

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

If you make a living on your computer, or use it for a decent amount of time each day, you owe it to yourself to get an SSD for OS/applications. The little bit of premium you pay is completely worth it as of 2011 here.

This is telling: all of us were once on the fence about it. Now I'd venture to say that 95% of people who've installed and used an SSD will NEVER own a computer without one again.
http://www.culpfiction.com

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." ~Gandhi

#28 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:16 AM

Yep, just bought a new MacBook Pro with a 512GB SSD, and it's lighting fast. Just ordered an SSD upgrade for my other machine as a result. Definitely the future. Definitely still very expensive.

If you make a living on your computer, or use it for a decent amount of time each day, you owe it to yourself to get an SSD for OS/applications. The little bit of premium you pay is completely worth it as of 2011 here.

This is telling: all of us were once on the fence about it. Now I'd venture to say that 95% of people who've installed and used an SSD will NEVER own a computer without one again.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#29 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Just to follow through, I bought a 256GB SSD from Crucial for my MacBook Pro. Putting it in was ridiculously easy. Just popped it in, and then installed the OS from the discs that came with the machine.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users