AE CS4 Hit Explosions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 texformer

texformer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

I work in an office where our budget is pretty low at the moment. Management had enough currently to purchase CS4 for me just before CS5 came out. I'm trying to learn AE and have a rushed situation with no tutorial DVDs, books, or people around that knows AE. Asked for a subscription to lynda , but because of reasons too long to explain the answer was no. I checked out adobe TV, but most of those were videos that seemed geared more teasing the viewer into subscribing to Lynda. I want to, but management says no for now.

Are there any tutorials for using particles if somebody wanted to create a sort of explosion from a persons hand. Sort of like a high power blast you'd see in a Street Fighter game when somebody hits something else? Here are some examples of what I mean each time the person hits something (or some one).
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I_5xcz63pmw
Several hit effects in there.

Thanks for any pointers or places I can check out.

Edited by texformer, 27 July 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#2 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

i know this might not help, since you have no budget, but action essentials from video copilot seem like what you need...

but check out video copilot anyway, it should help you out.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#3 texformer

texformer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

i know this might not help, since you have no budget, but action essentials from video copilot seem like what you need...

but check out video copilot anyway, it should help you out.

Thanks. If my office can't get it for me I may just spring for it myself.

#4 misanthrope.

misanthrope.

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

not to totally derail the thread... but is it actually the wisest idea to buy assets for a company that wont pay for them?

#5 b_foote1

b_foote1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

agreed. don't buy it for your company. you can find everything online. not saying to steal... but im just sayin...

#6 planetfour

planetfour

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

If my office bought me a chromatograph I'd be all like... "yeah, I'll bet that thing does some awesome stuff, but I don't know how to use it. If you guys can't afford to teach me, you're going to have to be patient with me as I'm not at all familiar, and don't have any chromatographers to collaborate with."

not so helpful, I know.

#7 texformer

texformer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

I understand what you are all saying. But it's frustrating to be in a field, watching everybody advance so fast past you when they get training, and just sort of spinning your wheels. But ever since the first link I have been finding more and more links to free online stuff. More than just Adobe TV. Hopefully with all the free stuff compiled I can start to even learn stuff on my own.

About where I work. I'm thankful for it every day. But it's a government job where nobody understands any aspect of A/V production. Their job is as easy as sitting at a table and having a meeting, then printing out spread sheets. They don't understand the time consumption involved with everything form rendering, to fine tune editing, to capturing footage when you're using tape , to loading footage from P2 or SD cards... they think that a 30 minute program would take about a 1 or 2 days to get produced (a good one with editing and graphics involved). I love the people here, but it's also frustrating at the same time. There's nothing like being handed 3 different projects, having them smile at you, and requesting that it be done at the end of the week or the following Monday... when it's Wednesday. Or, being handed a project the day before you leave for approved vacation... them saying they understand that you'll be gone, and then wondering if you'll have it done a day after your vacation ends.

Some real creative type should make an entertaining video explaining to non video types (usually upper management) what it takes to make a video. And include EVERYTHING even capturing tape from DV, because some of us still use DV. Then there's always the customers that want to bring you footage on a VHS tape, HI8 tape, or DVD that's already been authored which takes up even more time. Explain in a creative video that this stuff is not just plug and play. You could pass it around on YouTube, show Wedding customers, Upper Management types, etc. etc. to explain to them the reasoning for the time needed (or the fee you're charging). I blame Hollywood movies where some IT genius sits down on a computer and just brings up a fully rendered model, or some type of scene on screen.

OK, that's my venting for today :) Thanks for playing.

#8 planetfour

planetfour

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

Don't be afraid to take the upper hand and educate them and let them know when they are firing unreasonable demands at you. Its awkward to have those kind of discussions, but just take confidence in the fact that you know the logistical realities that come with your job description and you'll be helping yourself lots in the long run if you're planning on sticking around there for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users