14 replies to this topic

#1 Kakity

Kakity

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hello everyone

Can you recommend a nice wordpress template? I just want to put my reel plus a bit of about me text for now...

It all looks a bit complicated, so if you know of a simple way to achieve this, please let me know!

Thanks

#2 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hello everyone

Can you recommend a nice wordpress template? I just want to put my reel plus a bit of about me text for now...

It all looks a bit complicated, so if you know of a simple way to achieve this, please let me know!

Thanks

I use wordpress for my site. You're going to want to set your homepage as a static page. Then, you can copy the code from vimeo to embed it on your page. Fairly simple. I'm not sure the template matters that much. I would think you would want to create your own masthead. If you do that, you will have to tweak the style sheet to display it.That's fairly easy though. I was able to set up my site and tweak some of the code...and I have no background in with CSS or HTML.

When I embedded the vimeo code, I added this code at the top and bottom to center my movie:

<center>
</center>

#3 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Theme Forest

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#4 Kakity

Kakity

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Thanks to you both for your advice.

I am trying the "edit the code" route for now.

#5 kidronin

kidronin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Hello everyone

Thanks

http://wpfeed.com/20...s-video-themes/

http://www.premiumwp...rdpress-themes/

#6 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

Thanks to you both for your advice.

I am trying the "edit the code" route for now.

Have fun with that.

Edited by AromaKat, 07 October 2010 - 04:45 PM.

- Ted Turner

#7 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Have fun with that.

There isn't really that much coding. You'll probably just have to put in the code to center your reel. I've seen themes where you don't have to edit code to add a custom header.

#8 Jason Harmon

Jason Harmon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

For what it's worth I built my site using the wordpress them (link below) which is a photo blog theme. In the end, not too much of the code remained, but the theme is well organized and after a week or so of poking around in my spare time, looking at the code, seeing how modifying things changed stuff (I know nothing about coding for the web) I got a site that I'm fairly happy with. I've still got a ways to go... not all the sections are complete with content... but it's functional. Best of all once it's all set up, posting new work is as easy as updating a blog.

Here's the wp theme

Here's my site to see how far you can deviate, even with no experience, without too much effort.

-Jason

#9 Kakity

Kakity

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

Thanks all for your help with this. I actually found the "tweaking the code" route a flipping nightmare. I think I started off with the same style template as you Trione (f8 light?). But over the weekend an update to the style template was released, and I, without thinking chose to install. Needless to say, I had not backed up my files. Lost all the tweaks to layout and buttons etc made in the style editor.

So in the end went for the very simple Hybrid style template, and it's just fine.

Big r-e-s-p-e-c-k to anyone who goes the code fiddling route!

#10 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:18 AM

Posted Image

- Ted Turner

#11 Kakity

Kakity

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

Posted Image

Quite so AromaKat, you did warn me!

#12 Trione

Trione

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Thanks all for your help with this. I actually found the "tweaking the code" route a flipping nightmare. I think I started off with the same style template as you Trione (f8 light?). But over the weekend an update to the style template was released, and I, without thinking chose to install. Needless to say, I had not backed up my files. Lost all the tweaks to layout and buttons etc made in the style editor.

Yeah, I think I did start out with that. I did over complicate things a little when I was building my site. If I wanted to tweak things I went looking in the code to make the adjustment instead of looking in the dashboard. I found out later that some of the things that I had tweaked had simple solutions in the appearance section of the dashboard.

#13 vinnie

vinnie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I think I did start out with that. I did over complicate things a little when I was building my site. If I wanted to tweak things I went looking in the code to make the adjustment instead of looking in the dashboard. I found out later that some of the things that I had tweaked had simple solutions in the appearance section of the dashboard.

Download the Firebug plugin for Firefox!

I had to modify some css for my wordpress site and this plugin helped a lot! Lets you see how the code is working and you can even edit the css file on the fly and see the results without editing the original files. Nice for experimenting and not fucking your site up before you figure the stuff out.

#14 josh jingles

josh jingles

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

I've got a decent WP Theme through Graph Paper Press but am looking for a plugin that allows a Still Image thumbnail pop up a Vimeo Light Box for video content.

Has anyone heard of one they recommend?

#15 boy.finley

boy.finley

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Recently bought this one at Superthemes, but am starting to feel like I should have spent the money on a CargoCollective account instead.

wpShower has some nice looking portfolio themes for free.

Edited by boy.finley, 12 July 2011 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users