DoFcam for download

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 benek

benek

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi, not sure if this is of any use to anyone… I've included a link below to an Xpresso camera I made recently which I call the DoFcam.

The idea is that it will adjust the camera's front and rear blur automatically depending on your camera settings and according to a real physical depth of of field formula… Cinema will use this camera information when outputting your depth map channel – just activate the Depth channel in your Multi-Pass render to use in compositing.

The reason I made the DoFcam was because I wanted to output depth maps from Cinema which at least had some kind of real physical foundation. I also wanted the camera's depth/blur settings to change automatically during animation when linked to a target object.

The camera itself is very simple, I've just added some user data under the heading DoFcam which includes a Target Object link (which you don't need to use if you don't want to), an f-stop parameter and 2 optional adjustment parameters. I've also made a quick video (link below) explaining the above.

I've done my best to test everything works OK, but if you come across anything wrong with it, please let me know. One problem I did encounter was with the Document Scale parameter in C4D12's Project Settings. Although it doesn't appear to break the camera, I think it's best to keep this set to millimetres so that the measurements make sense…

DoFcam for C4D11.5

DoFcam for C4D12

DoFcam Demonstration video

Depth Map Tester Vid

#2 firemind

firemind

Founder

• Admin
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Looking cool, the dofcam vid wouldn't play because it said a WAV is missing
twitter.com/motion_designer

#3 benek

benek

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

That's strange... worked fine for me. I'll re-save it and re-upload...

#4 firemind

firemind

Founder

• Admin
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

If it helps, it says it needs CINEMA 4D - DoFcam_C4#626CA.wav

If I play it in VLC I get static.

#5 benek

benek

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

I think I might have had this problem before when I replace the sound track in Quicktime (obviously I'm doing it wrong)... I've re-saved the whole thing again and uploaded it, so try again.

Edited by benek, 14 December 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#6 firemind

firemind

Founder

• Admin
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

yep fine now

#7 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

This is lovely. Thanks benek!

#8 delsotano

delsotano

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hi, not sure if this is of any use to anyone… I've included a link below to an Xpresso camera I made recently which I call the DoFcam.

The idea is that it will adjust the camera's front and rear blur automatically depending on your camera settings and according to a real physical depth of of field formula… Cinema will use this camera information when outputting your depth map channel – just activate the Depth channel in your Multi-Pass render to use in compositing.

The reason I made the DoFcam was because I wanted to output depth maps from Cinema which at least had some kind of real physical foundation. I also wanted the camera's depth/blur settings to change automatically during animation when linked to a target object.

The camera itself is very simple, I've just added some user data under the heading DoFcam which includes a Target Object link (which you don't need to use if you don't want to), an f-stop parameter and 2 optional adjustment parameters. I've also made a quick video (link below) explaining the above.

I've done my best to test everything works OK, but if you come across anything wrong with it, please let me know. One problem I did encounter was with the Document Scale parameter in C4D12's Project Settings. Although it doesn't appear to break the camera, I think it's best to keep this set to millimetres so that the measurements make sense…

DoFcam for C4D11.5

DoFcam for C4D12

DoFcam Demonstration video

Depth Map Tester Vid

thanks!!

#9 blatherskyte

blatherskyte

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Very nice! Using it right now.

#10 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

Fantastic work, man. Really great. THe community needed this for a long time. I had thought about doing it once but I'm glad you did because you did it extremely well. Congrats and thanks.
chris smith :: some of my work

#11 benek

benek

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased you've taken a look and I hope it works for you... If anyone does encounter any problems with it, it would be good to know in case I decide to improve it in any way in the future.

#12 eyedesyn

eyedesyn

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Amazing work, benek!

Helps me out LOADS! Always had a hard time getting a good depth of field pass out of C4D because all the controls were so wonky. This puts it in terms I can understand. Thanks!

Edited by eyedesyn, 17 December 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#13 Rostenbach

Rostenbach

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Wow... this is incredibly useful. Thank you so much.
Former Chicagoan, Current Texan. Freelance Motion Designer. Music Guru. Space Nerd. Crooked Fingers.
Twitter: @rostenbach

#14 JoelD

JoelD

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thank you!

#15 Jordan Cain

Jordan Cain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

Finally got around to testing this out. Love it! Saves me loads of time wrestling with the camera settings manually. Thanks a ton!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users