• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Koss

Dave Koss

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

Here's my new reel.

I have a bunch of things I left out, per the advise of Mograph users last year. Mostly things that are motion tracking, live action and the like. They did't really fit with the other animations. <br />I wanted to put at least something together since I have a bunch of new stuff. I guess what I'm really looking for is suggestions on what to take out of this reel for the next go-round.<br />I'd like to think it's kind of diverse since it's works of my own and for client's projects all mixed together. Looking forward to positive, constructive crit.

Edited by Dave Koss, 01 April 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#2 killkillakillyo

killkillakillyo

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:02 AM

i like where you're going with this.

but your work doesn't look finished. production quality is the name of the game. master material shaders and render settings. apply that knowledge to your existing body of work. hit render and come back with the new reel.

use drop shadows sparingly and crush your ambient occlusion levels.

don't be afraid of GI.

#3 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

I remember your reel from last year, and this is a bit of an improvement. Your reel is already short, so it's hard to say that you should take anything out of it.

Having seen your site, it's obvious that you're passionate about media. That's great - you have to love what you do to make a living in this business.

I think it's pretty obvious that design basics is something you still need a lot of work on. Try breaking down some of the type-based pieces that you'd find on Motionographer, and maybe invest in a few books on type ("The Elements of Typographic Style" and "30 Essential Typefaces for a Lifetime").

Instead of focusing on making a bunch of new stuff, maybe try focusing on making just a few things that are really, really good. Hell, don't be afraid to post styleboards and ideas here (well, maybe be a *little* afraid).

One thing I noticed from checking out your site is that you seem to be selling yourself as someone who can provide almost any media service. While this works well for a company, a great designer usually learns to do a few things - but does them better than anyone else.

#4 Dave Koss

Dave Koss

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

i like where you're going with this.

but your work doesn't look finished. production quality is the name of the game. master material shaders and render settings. apply that knowledge to your existing body of work. hit render and come back with the new reel.

use drop shadows sparingly and crush your ambient occlusion levels.

don't be afraid of GI.

Thanks for the feedback. Which clips would you say look the most unfinished? I'd like to know which ones you guys think are the better ones and which ones need work.

#5 Dave Koss

Dave Koss

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

I remember your reel from last year, and this is a bit of an improvement. Your reel is already short, so it's hard to say that you should take anything out of it.

Having seen your site, it's obvious that you're passionate about media. That's great - you have to love what you do to make a living in this business.

I think it's pretty obvious that design basics is something you still need a lot of work on. Try breaking down some of the type-based pieces that you'd find on Motionographer, and maybe invest in a few books on type ("The Elements of Typographic Style" and "30 Essential Typefaces for a Lifetime").

Instead of focusing on making a bunch of new stuff, maybe try focusing on making just a few things that are really, really good. Hell, don't be afraid to post styleboards and ideas here (well, maybe be a *little* afraid).

One thing I noticed from checking out your site is that you seem to be selling yourself as someone who can provide almost any media service. While this works well for a company, a great designer usually learns to do a few things - but does them better than anyone else.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I know I need to work on the type stuff. Thanks for the book references. I've been looking for some sort of references. I started as a video guy and kind of got thrown into the graphics stuff over the years, so I never had the formal training I wish I had back in school.

That being said, that's why my site has so much stuff on it. For work, I've always been a tech "go-to" guy, which I really don't like and I'm trying to transition into new things, but have been to busy to really update everything. I'm sure you know how that goes. I totally see what you're saying, though. Thanks again!

By the way, love your reel. Are you a C4D person for 3D or do you use something else?

#6 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thanks man - I do use Cinema 4D for a lot of my work.
I understand where you're coming from, and it takes some balls to post work on a forum where a lot of people are uber-talented artists.

So let's break it down. Here's what needs to go:

* The intro: it's the first impression you're making, and it's not that great. The curtains aren't doing much, and there's probably no need to have that much information (phone, etc). If you have to have all that stuff (email, etc) I'd save it for the end. I'd say you'd be better off with a slicker version of that intro with the "K" and yellow.

* The Big Ap show - the type is pretty weak, maybe take the type out and keep the images.

* The floating cylinder with particles - it's hard to tell what that is. Might want to ditch that one.

* The outro - just a repeat of the intro, but longer. Not really necessary, but if it's there it needs some design work. Here's what I mean

Right now, the "Kossome" (does that read as "awesome" or "koss-a-me?") is fighting with "Dave Koss." The font you're using is playful, but it might be a little too cartoony for a company name that sounds like AWESOME. Take a look at this article on some typography basics:
http://psd.tutsplus....ography-basics/

On another note, when you ask for "positive constructive crit" it sounds a bit defensive. Don't be afraid of negative comments - which you're bound to get here at mograph.net. Overall, if design is an area you really want to improve in, give yourself a project, and don't be afraid to get feedback as you develop it.

Edited by daveglanz, 01 April 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#7 mintyfresh

mintyfresh

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

totally takes balls to get crits on here - props to that

yeah intro "splash page" looks like something from someone who works in a media lab at a community college

the other thing is your AO seems to have that really dark look... either tint it in or pull it back maybe, maybe use it in luminance in the layer shader and pull it back

maybe you like the dark AO look, so i'm not trying to be harsh, but when it hits black, my eye just doesnt feel that look is all

best stuff is the dream on stuff - keep focusing on catchy designs and limit things like that splash page that look like 2001 demo reel dvd's end etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users