Houdini?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 johnny001

johnny001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Last night i head the opportunity at my school to sit beside Houdini master, who show me some of the amazing things that houdini can do with particles and dynamics. Right now i am in my first year of motion design program where we are learning Cinema 4d After effects and our main focus being design. Long story short i have the opportunity to learn Houdini from this guy and Houdini is mostly used in vfx film work and i am steadying motion design. You think it would be to much to try to learn both in 2 years. I mean it would be great if i could have Houdini under my belt. But i am thinking if i should take this chance i mean to use Houdini tools in motion design would be great and with awesome cinema 4d rendering power would be beneficial. But i was told of course learning curve of Houdini is a long process and not easy one. Would you guys even take this opportunity in my situation or would focus on main subject of design its like its there so hwy not but then there is time investment which can be focused on design.

#2 RVA8

RVA8

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like an amazing opportunity for sure. It'd be hard to pass that up, for me at least. My limited experience with Houdini is that it's quite difficult, but certainly not impossible to learn. You may not use Houdini in mograph regularly, but in my experience it's good to supplement your C4D knowledge with a heavier VFX program like Maya or Houdini. It's going to give you another tool to solve problems, which is great.

That said, I'm not sure what your work load is like in school and your main focus shouldn't be on learning applications. It should be on learning design, especially early on. I say if you feel like you can handle the extra work load of getting started with a time-intensive program like Houdini, do it. But don't let that get in the way of learning the fundamentals - that's the most important. You'll have tons of time to pick up tools later.

R

#3 ChrisC

ChrisC

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

Don't confuse learning an application with learning a craft...

But the answer of course is that of course you can learn two applications in 2 years. Houdini is just an app, not brain surgery.

#4 gui

gui

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hello! I'm a houdini beginner. I started using c4d but from 2 months ago I started using it. And I'm loving.
It is powerful enough to handle motion graphics but some times it takes more time to do something you can do very fast in cinema.
The great part of it is the way it works: procedurally. And you can make tools made of it's nodes and reuse it. This is a very efficient way of work.
But I think c4d is most used in broadcast than houdini, so this is something you must think about.

As someone said and I agree: design first, app second.
Math + Motion + Design

#5 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:33 AM

I know Adam Swaab uses Houdini, he worked with Gmunk and his team on TRON doing the various motion graphics throughout. He has a blog with some Houdini related mograph stuff on it as well.

http://adamswaab.wordpress.com/

http://adamswaab.com/

#6 johnny001

johnny001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:31 AM

hi guys my main work load is learning color theory, typography, story telling, composition, animation, editing, and composting and on top of that CD4, AF Real F Photoshop and illustrator. I mean it would be a great opportunity but then i get to think how many shops out there really use Houdini for motion design. I always fallow this motion and vfx staff and i see great work being done in Houdini specially with particle and dynamics and i always get excited and wanting to learn it all. But that is to much, my fear would be to be a jack of all trades and master of none, i am afraid that it might take my focus from main goal of learning the craft.

Thanks guys

Edited by johnny001, 09 May 2011 - 04:34 AM.

#7 Srek

Srek

Maxon

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Arduino, RepRap, Science Fiction

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Experience with Houdini is a great thing to have and the chance to learn from someone who is realy good at it directly is maybe the best opportunity you get.
You should be aware that while Houdini is very powerfull it also takes more time to finish projects with it. Chances are that you won't be able to use it much for time critical broadcast stuff. If possible do both, learn c4d/AE for production work and Houdini to get the broader skillset. Houdini requires you to learn more about how stuff works on the inside, while this does cost more time it also gives you more power and definitly a better understanding of how things work in 3D, something you can use with any tool.
Cheers
Björn

#8 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

I tried a Houdini demo a while back because I was really wanting more control in my particle work.
Unfortunately, I could get Houdini to crash rather frequently from doing simple tutorials.
I have a very low tolerance for crashing applications.
Perhaps it's gotten better since then.

-m

#9 finegrit

finegrit

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Houdini is a great app to learn and it is very rare to have a chance to learn with someone good. However the learning curve is very steep and you should be aware that it will probably take you in a different career direction. Houdini is not really used all that much in motion graphics (although it sometimes gets brought in for particle effects).

Usually it is part of a larger VFX pipeline.

So if you want to move to LA or maybe NY after graduation and work in a big post house, hopefully eventually on big feature films, houdini is great. If you want to work in a small design shop doing kick-ass motion graphics, stick with C4D and AE.

#10 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

If you want to learn Houdini to learn it, then sure, learn it. But if it's because you are concerned you may need that extra particle power for your motion graphics. Then I would spend time learning ThinkingParticles/Xpresso, Mograph module, and the Storm Tracer plugin for C4D first. If you have found the limits of those and your artistry just needs better particles then have at Houdini. But to learn the entire program to MAYBE need some more particle power then that's a very inefficient use of your time me thinks when there is some pretty amazing , mind blowing stuff done with just C4D tools.
chris smith :: some of my work

#11 getSOME

getSOME

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

A friend works up at MPC and uses Houdini for its ease particle power, its probably on the easiest program to pipeline particles simulations too.... If you have the chance to learn form a master then do it!

<_<

#12 Chinaski

Chinaski

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

I tried a Houdini demo a while back because I was really wanting more control in my particle work.
Unfortunately, I could get Houdini to crash rather frequently from doing simple tutorials.
I have a very low tolerance for crashing applications.
Perhaps it's gotten better since then.

-m

Give it another shot. I find Houdini to be very stable. A lot of the stability is related to your OS and graphics card. Houdini has some very specific requirements, and the lower end cards and older OS's just can't handle the program that well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users