• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zoommer

zoommer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hi guys,
it's my first post here, so let me introduсe myself. My name is Eugene, 27, I live in Orenburg, Russia. I'm thinking of moving to the USA and working as a motion designer.
Do you think I can find a job and what do you think abt my demo reel?

Edited by zoommer, 08 August 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#2 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:53 AM

Eugene,

Well, there's no doubt that you have talent - what's your reason for moving to the USA? I guess what brings me to say that is, and maybe this is something for another forum, I wonder how the job market is going to look in the near future here and elsewhere.

To answer your question more directly - yes, you have the skills to get a job anywhere, because your reel is good. I would be curious to hear from other people on this board who have moved from another country, to or from the US.

#3 rocketpanda

rocketpanda

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Me too I'd be curious.
I also would like to leave Italy for the USA, I'm actually preparing some new stuff for my new reel.
I'll make a thread and try to get some responses from people that left for the US.

Eugene, your reel is really good, it proves you have some really good skills and a good animation eye.
What it felt like little wrong to me, is that it looks a bit out of '90s, because of some old styled effects and graphical choices, but that's because of customers I suppose.
What I didn't like at all is the opening / closing sequences, I don't like the equalizer effect, feels a bit old to me :)

Good luck for the US transfer!
twitter: @therocketpanda

#4 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'm also interested in the discussion of moving, except I want to move from the US to anywhere else.

#5 throb36

throb36

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Cheese

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

I hear Cambodia is nice.

#6 zoommer

zoommer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply guys,
I'll try to explain why I want to move to the USA.
Town I live in is far away from Moscow and is not-so-big. I get a lot of work here and many people know me as one of the best here.
Unfortunately I didn't have any progress in my skill in the last 1-2 years, I really need a new place to work, new great people to learn skill from and so on. I can only go to Moscow in Russia, but I hate this city, it's not "made for life". And also living in many US cities is cheaper than in Moscow.
So, I have only one way to go - the US which I love, esp Boston and NYC.

And after all I think that working in a foreign country is a cool experience, many people would want to do that - it's like travelling every day )

#7 mgrvsh

mgrvsh

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

And also living in many US cities is cheaper than in Moscow.

I've never been to Russia but I'd be pretty surprised if it was cheaper to live in NYC than Moscow...

#8 zoommer

zoommer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

I've never been to Russia but I'd be pretty surprised if it was cheaper to live in NYC than Moscow...

This must be offtopic, but here's couple of links on "World's most expensive ciities":
http://en.wikipedia....riate_employees
http://www.huffingto...4_Moscow_Russia
http://www.forbes.co...sivecities.html

#9 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply guys,
I'll try to explain why I want to move to the USA.
Town I live in is far away from Moscow and is not-so-big. I get a lot of work here and many people know me as one of the best here.
Unfortunately I didn't have any progress in my skill in the last 1-2 years, I really need a new place to work, new great people to learn skill from and so on. I can only go to Moscow in Russia, but I hate this city, it's not "made for life". And also living in many US cities is cheaper than in Moscow.
So, I have only one way to go - the US which I love, esp Boston and NYC.

And after all I think that working in a foreign country is a cool experience, many people would want to do that - it's like travelling every day )

Well, if you have a way to get here, I'd say go for it, right? How old are you? Do you have a family? If you have family at home, are you prepared to have to make such a long journey home to see them when you want to? Those are certainly things to factor into such a big decision.

NYC is definitely the way to go, if only for the amount of work available. The hard part is going to be making connections. I might look into working with a talent agent of some sort to help get you placement, or a foot in the door, if you're serious.

#10 esem

esem

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hey Eugene,

I´m planing a jump to the US, too. After doing some research I believe the hardest part is getting a work permit. I found contradicting info on whether it´s possible to apply for a work permit from within the US (after traveling there on a tourist visa). Does anyone have experience with this?
Someone on this board once claimed that the bigger studios are actually keen on bringing freelancers over, because they know you´ll be available for a certain period. So that might be a way to go.

@oeuf: afaik Germany is pretty easy with work permits. If you´ve got enough cash to stick around for a while, you can find yourself a company and then apply. Probably the same with other European countries.

#11 zoommer

zoommer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

Well, if you have a way to get here, I'd say go for it, right? How old are you? Do you have a family? If you have family at home, are you prepared to have to make such a long journey home to see them when you want to? Those are certainly things to factor into such a big decision.

NYC is definitely the way to go, if only for the amount of work available. The hard part is going to be making connections. I might look into working with a talent agent of some sort to help get you placement, or a foot in the door, if you're serious.

Making connections is the tough part, you're right, Dave. And thanks for the advice with talent agents - I didn't think of it. Maybe you know some particular agents whom I can apply to?

As for the family, I'm single and will miss my parents of course, but the dicision is already taken. And now I just need to go it as smooth as possible. The only big trouble might be finding an employer who would like to hire me and make a work permit. All the other problems are just technicalities.

@ esem
Hey Esem, freelance is a good way to go, you're right. But you can get a work permit as a freelancer, I guess.

Edited by zoommer, 10 August 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#12 rocketpanda

rocketpanda

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

I want to leave to get to the US too...

Actually I have two italian friends that left for NY from Italy.
One of them is a very good art director with many years of experience.
The other one is an average guy that wasn't particularily skilled.

The first guy had to spend the three months of tourist visa doing nothing but spending a lot for a living.
Then after a lot of bureaucracy, a lot of money for a lawyer who helped him with all the papers, leaving and coming back a few times, he managed to get a visa.

I'll try to skype him again soon so he'll explain me better.

What about the second guy? Well... He married an american girl less than a year after getting there! :)

By the way if you people want we can use this thread here for this discussion: http://mograph.net/b...showtopic=26186

Edited by rocketpanda, 10 August 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#13 rocketpanda

rocketpanda

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

The only big trouble might be finding an employer who would like to hire me and make a work permit. All the other problems are just technicalities.

the first friend of mine told me he had dozens of job interviews.
Everyone was interested in his skills, as he's really good, the problem was that they all told him "ok, we're really interested, so please come back when you have a working visa".

That's all you need.

And it's freaking difficult to get.

#14 rocketpanda

rocketpanda

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have any progress in my skill in the last 1-2 years, I really need a new place to work, new great people to learn skill from and so on.

The same reason I want to leave :) fancy sharing a flat?

(want to move this discussion on that thread? http://mograph.net/b...showtopic=26186 )

Edited by rocketpanda, 10 August 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#15 zoommer

zoommer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

:) fancy sharing a flat?

That's a good idea, Rocketpanda :-) But let's discuss it in orivate messages or Skype ;-)

I'd love to hear more folks on my demo reel! What is the best/worst part, what I can do to improve it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: demo reel, critique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users