• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Sorry, making a new thread for this question...

What is a good part of London to live in regards to working in post/broadcast/motion/edit/design? It seems most shops are in Soho right? Is it a pretty doable commute living in Dalston? Any recommendations or if anyone knows of an available apartment would be great! Thanks!

I'd like to keep my budget around £1000pcm for a studio if possible, though I know that's tight.

Edited by Douglas, 15 August 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#2 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Live wherever you can afford to. Everyone can make central London quickly via our Victorian public transport network so location is less important than a decent showreel and a perverse work ethic. These people do not have lives; they have jobs.

Even far from the centre, living alone is frightfully expensive so I'd get on Gumtree and look for a flatshare for now.

#3 Mografik

Mografik

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

£1000 pcm should get you something decent, but I agree with iline, if you don't mind sharing a place with other people you'll find yourself in a much better place for your money. To be honest you can pretty much get what you want for you budget. I pay a lot less for a decent place.
You mentioned Canary Wharf in the other thread. I wouldn't really recommend it as a place to live. It's geographically pretty far out the way. Most people who live around there only do so because they work in that area. It's also pretty soulless. It's full of suits during the week, and a ghost town during the weekend.
You mentioned Dalston too. It's a much better option for you, by the sound of things I'd say. One draw back of Dalston is that it doesn't have its own tube stop. Considering your budget, maybe something around angel / islington could work out well. (Shit, I'm sounding like a estate agent. Kill me)
Are you looking to move on your own, or with partner / family?

Hope some of that helps!
www.mografik.com

#4 Douglas

Douglas

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

This is great info! Thank you!
This would be a studio space for my wife and I, so shared isn't preferable, though we would consider it if the space and person were great.
I think our goal is just to find something modest in a decent part of town with things going on. What we'll probably do is just airbnb it for the first couple weeks while we check things out. Moving mid-september.

#5 boy.finley

boy.finley

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Dalston is a pretty good location for commuting, it takes about 20mins & one line change from Dalston Kingsland to Oxford Circus and a 10min Overground trip down to Hoxton/Shoreditch.

My girlfriend & I sharehoused for the first six months we were in London. Not great fun since we'd had our own place for three years before we got to London, but it's cheaper & gives you time to find the lay of the land. You can find a lot of short term lets on Gumtree, so you don't have to lock yourself in for too long either.

Good luck anyway, London is an amazing city :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users