cinema 4d thinking particles

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 samwelkertv

samwelkertv

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Creating an experience for people!

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

Well I'll be honest, I'm not the most popular guy on mograph.net after my little stunt i pulled, but I hope that won't affect the outcome of this posting.

I was on vimeo and I say David Drayton's Seeds v.2 and thought, hmmm I could make that. So I did. Then I made a tutorial.

http://www.thinkparticle.com/?p=31

Shouldn't have done it so late, but at least i sat down and got it done after months of saying I wanted to and would.

Oh and the website redesign is a little better now compared to earlier, but it's still crap and I'm going to grab a separate theme.

Thoughts?
Anything else you want to learn?

#2 tezuka

tezuka

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

#3 thekinginyellow

thekinginyellow

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

so, you remade and published a tutorial made by someone else as your own...but then gave the guy props for doing it first...i don't understand.

#4 samwelkertv

samwelkertv

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

He made a making of for his. I didn't really consider it a tutorial because the people in the comments said they had a hard time following it.

I made my own version and then a tutorial of how I made mine.
Plus he got credit for the original concept.

#5 base80

base80

base80.com

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

It is quite an ambition to call oneself "thinkparticle".
I've been working on TP for ages and still don't feel confident enough to make general purpose tutorials about it.
I hope this will work for you.

#6 samwelkertv

samwelkertv

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

I'm not calling myself think particle to reference thinking particles, it may sound that way but it's because i like to think about particles when I do 3D render.. I do however plan to use quite a bit of thinking particles, and the blog is also going to be a learning experience because i'm not that great at thinking particles either, but I do know how to learn.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope it works well too. I'm going to keep working hard and see where it takes me.

#7 froj

froj

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

I'm not calling myself think particle to reference thinking particles, it may sound that way but it's because i like to think about particles when I do 3D render..

With due respect dude, what does that even mean? I might call myself 'beer and hotwings' because I think of that all the time, only it isn't the name of a C4D module.

You won't make money by rehashing tuts, like we all said in "the last thread"... focus on making your work amazing and getting some experience without worrying about how you're gonna teach everyone else how to do stuff. The pull of sites like GSG is that the authors have worked for studios and are coming from a place most people want to be when they're starting out.

It seems a lot of the time all Nick has done is inspire people to copy work and try to become the next 'tutorial guy' rather than his objective to give people some basic tools to expand upon and become great artists.

Nothing personal, I know you're a good guy, passionate etc so some day something will click and you'll turn that into something awesome, but this thread should have ended with tezuka's post ;)

#8 NastyJames

NastyJames

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I might call myself 'beer and hotwings' because I think of that all the time

You should toootally call your self "beer and hotwings"!!!!!!!

#9 base80

base80

base80.com

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

As far as I know nobody copies my tutorials , probably because none of my tutorials give such stunning visual results as those on GSG.

And please Maxon, could you change all the coffee and mocca and xpresso names to beverage names? So we could say; "I rigged my character with Beer", or "oh there is an error in my Gin setup",...

#10 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

As far as I know nobody copies my tutorials , probably because none of my tutorials give such stunning visual results as those on GSG.

@base80 The tutorials you put out are very helpful ... I learned alot of the xpresso I use now based on the tutorials you put out years ago when I was on version 8 (I still suck at xpresso, but now I don't suck as much :D ). Then again a tutorial isn't made to be copied, it's to learn a principle or the fundamentals so that way you can go to create something better.

@froj I agree with the GSG tutorials kinda hurting the creativity of mograph artists but people now are learning what is a tutorial and what is legitimately created. So as long as you do good work I could give a crap about someone changing a text line in a GSG or Andrew Kramer tutorial. They will learn soon enough when they are really put to the challenge they will fail and get the massive reality check they needed. I imagine that both of those guys got into tutorials originally with the best intentions but lazy people ruined something that wasn't designed to be malevolent.

@samwelkertv I know your intentions were good in describing the steps rather just making a video showing the process, but you should know how the mograph community would react in the recreating someone else's work rather than making your own variation and explaining the same principles on a different project

@NastyJames I agree haha

~Florio

#11 froj

froj

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

I'm definitely not bashing Nick or Andrew, like I said they have the best intentions and create very well produced products and inspire people to create at one level or another. This is one debate we don't need to dig up again here, completely agree with what you said, 1000 people going through some steps and sticking it on vimeo has no effect on us creating original work. Its just a form of entertainment for them like playing xbox.

Base80 rocks!

#12 throb36

throb36

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Cheese

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

BTW, Base80's tuts are AWESOME. There's a lot of techniques on there that nobody else covers.

Plus I'd rather spend 5-10 minutes learning a technique, than spending hours making something someone else has already made.

#13 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

@froj my bad duder ... I know you weren't attacking Nick or Kramer but the whole tutorial thing does for some reason get me really riled up.

I guess because now everyone with an internet connection thinks they can do a job like motion design. Makes me wonder what the future holds

#14 samwelkertv

samwelkertv

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I've started to focus a little more on my own stuff and I've tried to keep it all original. I've taken what you said into consideration as well about the focus of Thinking Particles and I'll try to do that for now.

I did name it Think particle because I like thinking of small subtle things that change our daily lives, like particles, but I guess that's not what people would think initially...

Anyways I'm actually working on a project now that will push my limits as far as they can go. I hope to make a really awesome short film this year and on to early next spring. I also hope I haven't offended anyone, I understand making a tutorial that was in a making of was a bad idea, I just got ahead of myself to get started.

I'm passionate and nothings going to stop me, but I hope I don't get cocky and allow myself to listen to your great advice. I know I should have my first time around here. That little forum page with 5 pages of reactions went on long enough and got a lot of valid points across.

Anyways concluding I hope to really fine tune my skills and show off stuff worth showing off.

(My tutorials will keep coming however, whether I have a studio background or not I get a lot of people messaging me thanking me for helping them. That is why I make them)

#15 killkillakillyo

killkillakillyo

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

sam i don't know you personally but i'm assuming you are on a plethora of meds so i can understand.

but boise is not NY or LA so the majority of people here aren't going to empathize with you.

walk backwards slowly. don't run. watch that branch. do not scream.

edit:
ok that was a little harsh so let me rephrase.

you seem to be learning quick but don't let the excitement of your "eureka" moments get the best of you. the best way to break through is to be discovered. as has already been discussed, focus on making cool stuff, and not on showcasing it in some grand fashion.

yes, presentation is a very valuable asset in this business, but not without the substance to back it up. a mouse is just a mouse at face value. a mouse that can take an elephant shit, now that's something you want to call your buddies up to see.

be that mouse that takes elephant shits.

Edited by killkillakillyo, 18 October 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#16 samwelkertv

samwelkertv

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

That was more than harsh man. You all need to realize that I'm just sharing what I'm learning. I'm not here to be the next FXPHD. I'm just sharing my knowledge my own way. You all say back up, but none of you know what my plans are for an actual job. You all think you know that I want to be the next big motion graphics artist, but I don't. I actually hate motion graphics with a passion.

I'm just sharing thinking particle tutorials and anything else I feel like sharing. If you don't like that then don't come to my site. I don't want to come off rude or as a know it all but you all need to back off and realize one or two things. I'm an 18 year old sharing my knowledge as I learn it. I'm not trying to be video copilot or GSG. I don't care what any of you think, but I do take your advice into consideration. And lastly my tutorials help hundreds of people every week. I know this because they tell me.

Thanks for trying to help but I avoid this forum because everyone here assumes they know me and everyone here assumes they're right about everything mograph. Most of you are often right about mograph, there's no doubt there. Almost everyone here is quite a professional in mograph even. Just please understand guys, I just want to make tutorials and have some fun making stuff. I'm not interested in making motion graphics as a job, and I never will be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cinema, 4d, thinking, particles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users