• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MortenSJ

MortenSJ

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi there

I am currently making a web-showreel for my firm which i am doing in After Effects because i don't have any experience with Final Cut or Adobe Premiere. I would like to know how you guys would make a 1:30 min showreel, i mean the process. I have done a lot of screen capturing and have imported it into After Effects and done all the editing in there. Would it have been easier for me to do it in e.g. Final Cut or Premiere? Why is it so much faster?

How well does Final Cut Pro and After Effects work together?

Please share your process :)

#2 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

OK ... Before we get too far into this we need to figure out the scope of the project. In the showreel will their be graphics and cool/custom transitions then I'd recommend (I know I'll regret this) After Effects. If it's straight cuts and cross dissolves the FCP or Premiere route is the way to go.

Now to answer your question of how I would make it ... Being a mograph designer I'd rough the thing in FCP and make motion elements in AE/C4d, then finish the comp in FCP.

FCP and Premiere are faster in the sense that they are strictly linear editing systems (you can do basis "graphics") and once they render a file you have alot more control as well as viewing power immediately. AE has a nasty habit of having to render the frames at the smallest change and it takes forever to get a view at fullres sometimes. FCP will convert the video to a codec (if you set the comp to that codec it doesn't have to, therefore not as much rendering) so once its rendered you can view it at full in about a 1/10 of the time. Also the timeline is different, in FCP you can have multiple clips on one video layer, whereas AE everything has to have its own layer ... I could go on and on (and stop rambling :P )

Most workflows involving FCP and AE usually involve making a rough concept and getting the timing so you can make your assets in AE. Once those are completed you export your QT, Image Sequence,etc into FCP and in a linear environment splice them together. For the most part if you know what your doing AE and FCP play very well together. I work with both on a daily basis and I don't really have alot of issues.

I know I might have rambled in this and I may not have answered your question to your liking but its a very broad subject and depending on the goal every solution in unique.

Hope this gives you a starting point
~Florio

#3 Ehmie

Ehmie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

I agree with florio. But why are you screen-capturing to make your reel?
The only other thing I would add is that Premiere now has the ability to use many different types of media in one timeline and you can export from after effects directly to it in a few different ways (and vice versa) .... more and more I find myself wanting to use it over FCP.

#4 este.eri

este.eri

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

What everyone said. There is really no other way. Doing everything in AE is a timing nightmare. I cut evertyhing in FCP to a music track, then expot XML, then import XML into PREMIERE, then save project, then import PREMIERE project into After Effects to make everything look sweet.

#5 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

I"ve always cut my reels in After Effects if only for the simple fact that it allowed me to create any additional animation in one interface while editing. A lot of my old stuff consisted of websites broken apart and animated, banner ads, etc. Just became a habit I suppose. Probably not the most efficient way - next reel will probably be cut in Premiere.

Bottom line for me has always been getting a song cut down to 1:30-2:00, putting together a 4-5 second intro, and figuring out what to start and end with. Once you figure those out, it doesn't really matter what app you cut your reel in.

#6 rovino

rovino

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:bears, beets, battlestar gallactica

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

Now to answer your question of how I would make it ... Being a mograph designer I'd rough the thing in FCP and make motion elements in AE/C4d, then finish the comp in FCP.

Same only with Premiere.. I'll add music and mock up a show in Premier then either cut and paste the timeline elements into AE or just import the Premiere project into AE.. hell I've even just exported a .avi from premiere (windows obviously) and taken that into AE.
I always export from AE as seq. For the simple fact that I can always go back and re-render just a portion of that seq if I need to make changes. Usually its a .png seq.. Ive never had any issues the image quality is great for the file size and it supports embedded straight alpha too..

Then I typically make a new Video Track above my original edit and lay the seq over that.. so I can see how everything lined up.. if I need to make changes or swap out a shot.. I know exactly where it lies in my timeline.

#7 MortenSJ

MortenSJ

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thanks alot guys, that really helped! :)

#8 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thanks alot guys, that really helped! :)

Is it possible to see what your working on when it's finished?

#9 MortenSJ

MortenSJ

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Sure, no problem. It's a showreel for all the websites we've done in 2011 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users