Photo

Creating motion graphics and animation from transcript

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CyanSeaHorse

CyanSeaHorse

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Paintball, Music, DSLR, motion graphics, animation, photography, graphic design, illustration

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice...

In my company, I have been working with a screencast producer and a student in psychology to produce a 6 part series based on a mental issue that gamers experience.

I have to make 6 episodes, around 40 min each, of motion graphics, to help visualize concepts being spoken by a voice over that has been recorded by these 2 guys.

It's in German, but I do have the english transcript, however I find some of it very hard to turn into visual metaphors. In some cases, the most obvious metaphors, take the longest amount of time to create, for such a minimal effect.

Let me give an example :

"This makes psychological elements even more important. As the game theory becomes clearer and clearer, you need to turn to these things to extract the last edge and exploit opponents’ leaks. That’s why in the following part, we have some elements which will particularly appeal to the semi-pros and pros amongst you, who can still push themselves a bit harder in order to improve their overall performance. "

What would be an efficient way to realise this short paragraph, without spending too much time on it, but still accomplishing something visually appealing?

In the first 2 episodes we had a lot of video interviews so there wasn't much motion graphics, but now it's 100% motion graphics only, and I just find it very difficult to realise such complex paragraphs.

Thanks!
Behance : http://be.net/Kyle_

Twitter : kyleTHEdesigner

#2 supaidaaman

supaidaaman

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Thats when you say "fuck it" and go to istock in search of a photo of 2 guys looking excited while holding N64 controllers. Done.

#3 jon

jon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Six 40 minute videos about mental issues of "pro and semi-pro" video gamers?!?!

I think 'put down the game, go outside, and actually get laid' is the typeograpghic treatment rebuttal of that entire video series summed up in nine words.

I realize this isn't helping, but the premise you describe is hilarious and I don't envy your position. Then again, dreaming up flashy stuff (fluff) to save crappy creative is what this profession is all about.

#4 dan_hin

dan_hin

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, sci-fi, mograph

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

that was my thought too.

That is of course of no use to you whatsoever, but you have my sympathy.

#5 douwe

douwe

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

You just need to get yourself in a brainstorming mood,
sketch out some simple ideas and associations to quickly visualize the concepts and to establish some narrative.
Without being too critical. Just get the ideas flowing.
Before you know you have something you can work with.

You're flying over some kind of a map,

Looks like something technical; an architectural blueprint or a roadmap or a printed circuit board,...
That's your game theory.

The map is like a 1-color-print on a 1-colored-background. (sterile and dull and serious and boring)
The map is blurred in the beginning but slowly gets sharper and in focus. (the game theory becomes clearer,... )

Then, one after another, some icons of brains or eyes pop up, full of color and life and light.
Radiating electronlike particles circling around the icons, or rays of light(ning) or something dynamical.
That's your psychology.

The icons light up specific parts of the map layering new elements on top of it ( like arrows, shortcuts, hidden entrances,.. ) in a bright contrasty vivid color.
This new perspective on things is the incentive for players to push harder and get better.

blahblahblah.

Of course all this is bad and basic,
but it's this sort of ideas you need to come up with and fine-tune.

hope this helps.
good luck.

d
www.c4dlounge.eu : dutch c4d community (Belgium / Netherlands)
//////////////////////////////////// douwe on vimeo

#6 John816

John816

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics, After Effects, Cinema 4D, vfx, color correction, vectors

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

I find it hard to understand the paragraph as it's out of context. If I knew what came before it and after it, that might help.
One thing I can offer though: I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately and I noticed that when they don't have a visual element which is specifically related to what is being said right now, they substitute with general images.

For example, I saw a doc. on a serial killer in Russia. They said things like "he had a second house where he did the deed", and "he stalked the train stops in search of victims". And they indeed showed the house where he did the deed and fake footage of a man stalking a train stop.

But when they got into more complex topics or discussed ideas for which they had no directly related imagery, they just popped in a Ken Burns-type pan of the killers portrait.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the visuals don't have to completely dance to what is being said for every second. General imagery can work fine here and there as the viewer will subconsciously relate your general imagery to what is being said.

So in this case using graphical representations of different classes of players or a cutaway of a gamer's brain working something out might do the trick.

#7 CyanSeaHorse

CyanSeaHorse

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Paintball, Music, DSLR, motion graphics, animation, photography, graphic design, illustration

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Thats when you say "fuck it" and go to istock in search of a photo of 2 guys looking excited while holding N64 controllers. Done.

Unfortunately this is about online gaming or more like "online gambling" hence the psychology factor is quite important because it has to do with a game that involves money.

Sorry I can't be too clear about it because of confidentiality reasons.

@ douwe Thanks, this is the process I'm mostly following but sometimes it just gets so frustrating because it's like trying to dress a bulldog like a Husky. Make something beautiful out of something completely boring, that's when I guess John816's advice come's into play.

Thanks to those who contributed. There is no short cut with this project I guess, it just takes time.
Behance : http://be.net/Kyle_

Twitter : kyleTHEdesigner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users