New Site

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• 1,108 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Over the last year, I have been doing a lot more interactive work. It has gotten to the point where I switch back and forth between mograph/interactive just about every project, so I just revamped my site to show off the blend-o-work that I've been doing. I'm trying to avoid looking too much like a jack of all trades by showing off the quality of all the work, but still highlighting all the capabilities. Anyhow, just wanted to share, feedback welcome!

http://www.selectatl.com

#2 workflo

workflo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good Job! I like the clean & reduced style! Do you´ve used any template or is the site entirely handcoded?

#3 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Site looks clean, and standard. I think you've successfully merged the disciplines, with respect to your presentation, but at the expense of a presentation that's a bit garbled. But I think that's only because nothing's labelled. Like, I can't get any information on what I'm looking at until I commit to clicking on some random picture. It might help if you had a rollover state for all of the images that tells me what I might be about to look at. Something simple like a rollover image washout with distinguishing text overlay that reads "2010 Montage" or "Site Redesign" or "Infographics" or whatever. If I'm coming to your business because I need a site, I don't want to HAVE to blindly guess at which projects might be web-related by clicking each of them. A bit of discovery is good, but don't make my search for your mograph stuff arduous if it doesn't have to be.

And this might be an off-track comment, but I think you may want to update your reel. (I accidentally found your reel 10 minutes ago, so naturally I thought I knew where to find it again, but now I can't seem to... no labels) The audio track you're using just smacks of 5-years-behind-the-times. You could cut it to something classic and not worry about dating it, or to something fresher and look all hip and shit. Or maybe the demographic you're aiming for is decidedly behind the times. I guess it's a bit presumptuous of me to think I know what Atlanta clients want, but that's kind of how it looks from here.

But here's my overall perception of your company, as presented by your site: you're a studio in Atlanta. And that's kind of it, for better or worse. Your portfolio doesn't really make you stand out. Your reel feels fairly generic. And your site, as implied by workflo, is basically indistinct from a template in that it doesn't have any of its own charisma. All of this is totally acceptable, and totally safe, and totally forgettable. And I think you probably know your clients best, in terms of how to appeal to them, so I'm trying not to pass judgement, but from here it looks like justanotherstudio.com. My tendency is to give you a nudge in the direction of developing a voice, but you may not need/want to. I really don't know. So take this at face value.

#4 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• 1,108 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

workflo, thanks, it was coded by hand.

Binky, thanks as always for the feedback. I think you're right about having more labeling. I had a lot of labeling on my old site, and I killed it, but maybe I've gone too far in the opposite direction.

On the style & presentation of the whole thing, I totally get what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything wrong with, especially on a portfolio site, letting the site be clean and out of the way so that the focus is on the work. That's why I approached the site pretty much as an application for viewing my work.

As for the reel, it is definitely due for an update, but that is for another day.

#5 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, the labelling can just be there when it's needed, and invisible otherwise. Rollovers are kind of the best compromise there. Site's clean, but presents info when you look for it, basically. And no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with however you choose to represent yourself. I do think that branding is a solid, and not necessarily distracting, tactic for making a site/company more memorable to its visitors/clients. But again, you very well know your demographic better than I do.
Congrats on the new site!

#6 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• 1,108 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Ok, where's my I survived Binky's critique T-shirt

#7 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

Ok, where's my I survived Binky's critique T-shirt

Now that wasn't so bad, was it? No more tears. Here, pick out a treat. Yes, you can have two. See you next time, kiddo!

#8 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• 1,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

Binky and others, if you care to check out some tweaks: http://www.selectatl.com/
I took down the reel for now because it was so outdated, and made bunches 'o' tweaks overall, including some new labeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users