26 replies to this topic

#1 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Cycling - Motion - Design - Self Exploration

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

Like many of you on Mograph. My headphones have taken a beating this year going from studio to studio. What are you using? Or what do you recommend?

#2 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

These sound good for the price. They also block outside noise a bit and fold up like a pair of sunglasses.

http://www.sennheise...adphones_502817

#3 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

aww yes. i was looking at those. i wish i could find a place to try them on though.

#4 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

I recently picked up a pair of Sony MDR V600s and they have been amazing. Good price, very comfortable for long hours and have terrific sound. I highly recommend them.

Edited by joedonaldson, 09 December 2011 - 03:38 PM.

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#5 laughingcolors

laughingcolors

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:guitar, music, design, drinking.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

i love my ultimate ears triple fi 10s. they are great for noise cancelling, but may not work well in a work enviornment if collaboration is necessary.....otherwise
i also love my westone um3x, which aren't as good for noise cancelling, but the sound stage is incredible and more like listening in more of a music studio room enviornment

#6 TrenZ

TrenZ

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

I've been using beats by dre for about a year now and love them I use them everyday at work and the gym and they are still in perfect shape. The thing I like best about then is the wire can detach from the headphones itself so if you catch a snag it wont destroy your headset the wire will just pop off then you can reattach it.
www.jonathanwinbush.com
www.sixteenxnine.net

#7 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

I've been using beats by dre for about a year now and love them I use them everyday at work and the gym and they are still in perfect shape. The thing I like best about then is the wire can detach from the headphones itself so if you catch a snag it wont destroy your headset the wire will just pop off then you can reattach it.

This might come across as a little harsh, but if you're serious about audio I'd avoid Beats at all costs. They're the Monster Cables of headphones -- half-decent products that cost twenty times more than they should because of their brand name. At $300, they're about the same audio quality as $100 sets from other companies, which is insane considering gift-from-god top-tier reference headsets would only set you back $250.

Buying Beats is like buying a $100 headset and then flushing $200 down the toilet. Either buy a $100 headset, or put $300 towards something good.

#8 isotope_theory

isotope_theory

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:43 AM

This might come across as a little harsh, but if you're serious about audio I'd avoid Beats at all costs. They're the Monster Cables of headphones -- half-decent products that cost twenty times more than they should because of their brand name. At $300, they're about the same audio quality as $100 sets from other companies, which is insane considering gift-from-god top-tier reference headsets would only set you back $250.

Buying Beats is like buying a $100 headset and then flushing $200 down the toilet. Either buy a $100 headset, or put $300 towards something good.

Agreed, I have a pair of beats. HATE them, sound ok, but they are uncomfortable! Fail Dre
Now I have no need to use headphones, I blast my tunes on these puppies all day. http://www.krksys.co...it/rokit-6.html

#9 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

I am still on the hunt. thanks for the tips.

#10 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Sony MDR V600s for life! Or maybe you can have a company spring for the MDR-7509HD's ... Those are slick as well!

#11 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

What other headsets out there have the wire detach feature like the Dre's?
I think the Dre's are waay overpriced also for the sound that they put out.

#12 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

What other headsets out there have the wire detach feature like the Dre's?
I think the Dre's are waay overpriced also for the sound that they put out.

I've got a pair of these (no wires at all!)
http://www.plantroni...ckbeat-903-plus

Everything about them is good except they are a bit too bulky. Maybe in another year or 2 these will be the way to go for mobile music. Having no wires to get snagged or tangled is great.

#13 stoiqa

stoiqa

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

I have these: http://www.amazon.co...E/ref=pd_cp_e_1, they are pretty good for the price

#14 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

If you're working for clients in-house, you want either in-ear monitors or closed back headphones so you're not driving everyone else crazy with your embarassing playlist, and something well sealed so they're not driving you nuts with theirs. You'll be slogging them around with you, so you want good build quality, and maybe something foldable if you go with closed-backs. Many higher end full-sized cans need to be driven harder than an ipod or sound card is capable, so pay attention to that. Beyond that, your choices are more subjective and budgetary. And unsuspectingly, http://www.headphone.com is well-organized and provides detailed descriptions/reviews of lots of higher-quality products. Go there, figure out what you want, and then probably look elsewhere for better prices.

A few years ago, I was on the hunt after my Sonys had become more electrical tape than headphone from all of the fracture points, and after a ton of research I got the Ultrasone HFI 780 which made the old Sony cans look and sound like a Fischer Price toy. Since I've had them, Ultrasone's reputation has really grown, and the reasons are kind of apparent. Good stuff. $155 at amazon.

Try out a few. Get a range of options. You'll find some may sound great, but not fit your head. You may love or hate in-ear monitors. You might care more about the design of the thing than the comfort. You might like inaccurately huge bass that swallows the mids. Who knows?

#15 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

How are the Ultrasones for comfort over long stretches of time? I have some AKG K270's, which are great, really flat and clear, but they're so big I've been looking at some other options lately.

#16 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

How are the Ultrasones for comfort over long stretches of time? I have some AKG K270's, which are great, really flat and clear, but they're so big I've been looking at some other options lately.

If size is a concern, you can always try out some in-ear monitors. Bonus there is that you can wear those while doing things other than sitting.

The HFI 780 is totally wearable. They clamp a little tightly for better enclosure, but whether it's comfortable for you or not really comes down to your own head. I'm fine with it. I end up moving them around on my head after an hour or two either way.

#17 jens

jens

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:vimeo.com/jensk

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

this thread comes in quite handy,
maybe you guys can help me out with your experience and give me some recommendations.
I'm looking for some decent full-size/open headphones, that can be used while I'm cutting and editing some footage, but also while I'm on my way with my iPod.
Maybe even while I'm boarding and stuff, but not necessarily.
They need to some clean, high-quality sound while isolating everything around me.
Since I ended up trashing the cables of all my headphones so far, I am also looking for the possibility to replace parts, especially the cable.
As long as I'm still a student, I cannot spend more than 150 for the headphones, but I also don't need high-end quality.
I like most of the mentioned headphones, like the AKG K270 (totally like their look and their sound/isolation quality), but I couldn't really find out if it's possible to replace the cable.
The best option so far seems to be the Sennheiser HD 25 II. I'm going to find a shop where I can try them within the next week,
but maybe you can give me some more/other recommendations.
Cheers

#18 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I am still on the hunt but thats to you guys I have narrowed it down to the following headsets:
Anyone used the ones above?

#19 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

So I ended up going with the Sennheiser PX 200lli. They came in the mail today and so far I am pretty impressed. Very compact and the sound is excellent. I'll make sure to give a better review after spending sometime with them. Cheers.

#20 Spence

Spence

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

I saw these the other day.

I think I'll be picking them up once they're released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users