NEIL STUBBINGS [1]

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

placing "stubbings" a million times and the stubbings "logo" everywhere and yourself in it so much won't make it any better...

neil narcism

#42 Guest_fishface_*

Guest_fishface_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

placing "stubbings" a million times and the stubbings "logo" everywhere and yourself in it so much won't make it any better...

neil narcism

View Post

hahaha.he. You know, I didn't have an issue with it. I just kept thinking how refreshing the (slower, elegant, old-school-cinematic) pacing was and that the camera moves were like 100% pure silk

...but I could see some people saying, "wtf is up with his name everywhere?"

I dug it. If my reel were 1/10th as good, I would be happy. But...if it were up to me, I would ditch that 'All That' piece. Not yur strongest work, and fake film damage is kinda lame.

killer reel.

#43 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

i could understand if he was some mega-kicking ass designer/ mographer and felt the tingling in his penis (because of his "so-awesomness") that he had to place himself and his name in the folio/ reel everywhere. but in my opinion this one is just a average reel or even below (what's the matter with all the "siiiiick dude"). and those after effects camera in space moves he's doing everywhere while the actual content isn't animated so much is just annoying. like "let's place some masked photographs/ type in space and move the camera in z & x space a bit, put my stubbings name/ "logo" and myself everywhere and impress some grandma's".

#44 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:29 PM

i could understand if he was some mega-kicking ass designer/ mographer and felt the tingling in his penis (because of his "so-awesomness") that he had to place himself and his name in the folio/ reel everywhere. but in my opinion this one is just a average reel or even below (what's the matter with all the "siiiiick dude"). and those after effects camera in space moves he's doing everywhere while the actual content isn't animated so much is just annoying. like "let's place some masked photographs/ type in space and move the camera in z & x space a bit, put my stubbings name/ "logo" and myself everywhere and impress some grandma's".

View Post

i thought it was bad ass. let his dick swing. confidence will get you everywhere. still looking for loose mograph chicks for sexual healing MBX? whip out your dick and let it swing man, stubbins style, i'm sure it'll land in something one of these days.

#45 Guest_fishface_*

Guest_fishface_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

View Post

hehehehehehe. Come on - you don't think the open showed any skill? That alone makes this a cool reel. You don't even have to like the Shinning or Psycho. It's starts as a (cool) homage to some classic-ass films. The camera moves there are really nice. Perfect for the films he is referenceing. The growing wall paper is nice. I like the white section of it on the right, which adds some intrigue and tension. Then the move into the television and right down the hall is really well done.

then you have to go thru the 'stubbings' mine field - but it is is reel open, so I cut that a lot of slack. Then to the cock-rock homage...maybe a bit much 'stubbings'. Then two spots (the Afterburner piece is a really good piece if you look at it, but that section of it feels a bit weak to lead off with), and then back to the 'stubbings'? Yeah, I would probably take that out. Then some snowboarding stuff which is pretty nice, although not nearly as nice as the snowboarding stuff at the end of the reel.

His 'hollywood glitz' style is right on. Smooth and relevent. Not my thing, but a great style to showcase on a reel. The 'xavier'? experimental piece is actually a little ugly, upon further inspection. It does, however, demonstrate skill and yet another style. The 'enemy of the state'-esque shit is cool. But then, back to more 'stubbings'. hehehe. I can see that rubbing peeps the wrong way. Frankly, I don't think it is strong enough to revisit. Especially because it goes right into the 'That's All' piece, which is the weakest part of the reel. Kinda makes that section drag a tad.

But then he kicks it back into high gear with his better snowboarding piece, a cool girl running/truck thing, the nicely done pistoleros(the dice thing), and then some stuff I didn't really care about (maybe end with the pistoleros?). Then cool ass outro.

top notch production value throughout. Nice art direction, great execution. There are hollywood directors that couldn't pull his show open. I can see Producers not diggin on dropping his own name constantly, but his stuff is really nice. Smooth and confident. Like a mographers who knows what he is doing and doesn't feel like he has to do too much to make it work.

cool reel.

my 12cents

#46 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

confidence won't help you if your stuff isn't on par with your egomania. no need to place your name anywhere either. that's just what i meant. we all have our opinions. (the thing with mograph chicks was just sarcastic back then in case you still didn't get it by the way, i have my love.)

again, it's always "just my opinion" or "my 2 cents", as everything is relative.

#47 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:06 PM

ehhh in my opinion, for the most part, image is everything. he's branded himself, stuffed his brand down our throat, and we aren't going to forget who's reel that is very soon. and i happen to think he's thoughtfully (and with wit, to me the "egomania" seems obviously tongue-in-cheek) branded something of quality.

confidence won't help you if your stuff isn't on par with your egomania.

i totally disagree. a great salesman (a confident salesman) could sell a piece of shit to anyone. it is possible to polish a piece of shit and sell it as a precious gem. it happens all the time. it just so happens i think stubbings has a fairly nice gem already, he's just given it a name.

#48 Guest_Stubby_*

Guest_Stubby_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:26 AM

ok, dudes, lemme say something too.
First of all thanks to everyone for the critics.
I dont understand MBXs problem. Yeah I brand myself, I use my hairlessness as some sort of corporate Identity, and it helped me a few times to get some jobs and to be recognized by some important people. If MBX doesnt like my face I dont really give a fuck.
There is a lot of "Stubbings" in the reel, most of all because I incorporate the openings of the prevoius reels in the new ones. Besides does it really matter what the words say, would it make a difference if I replace all the stubbings type with another word? The motion graphics will stay exact the same.
If you think its a below average reel, thats fine, its your opinion. Calling some stuff "annoying" isnt really professional.
Too bad that you leave all that hating all over this board and dont even show some of your work, or at least fill your profile with some info.

#49 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Ah yes, MBX does his magic again. Hey, Neil, he's in Switzerland also. If you don't judge everyone on mograph.net by him, we won't judge you by him. Deal? :)

#50 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

it's no hate at all. just my opinion... and it has nothing to do if you're bald or if i don't like your face. i just meant placing yourself and your name/ logo in it so much is annoying and could come over as if you're incredibly convinced of yourself. and i don't know what you mean govinda.

everytime someone doesn't kiss someone's ass up here, the babies are starting to cry & moan. it's funny. while i do compliment as well and not just give "negative" opinions.

this is getting ridiculous, i'm outta here anyway. so be happy.
bye bye

#51 Guest_Stubby_*

Guest_Stubby_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

this is not about ass kissing.
I am professional enough to accept and understand any kind of critics, good or bad, as long as they are transfered in a professional manner. Nobody here is crying or moaning. Seems like the majority here liked my work, and you didnt, which is perfectly alright! After you postet your critics, there were a lot of replies of people that didnt share your opinion. Fishface even took a lot of time to write a long post on said topics.
Why can't YOU accept that the majority is not agreeing with you?

#52 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

because the majority is average anyway. and fred defended you because he did almost the same annoying shit in his reel.

anyway, i should shut my ass and get outta here finally as said before.

peace

#53 Guest_turtlewax_*

Guest_turtlewax_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

the style isnt tight enough for all the fanfare. but you got hot camera jitter. MBX has a point though.

#54 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

ATTACK OF THE QUICKREGISTERING SINGLEPOSTERS!!!!!

#55 Guest_mistahle_*

Guest_mistahle_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

I think MBX made a couple of valid points, maybe they should have been worded more constructively. In my opinion, the reel contains lots of solid works with a nice "underground" feel to them, but there are a few pieces that can be cut out for the sake of a stronger reel:

+ corridor with stubbings leading to the two 2 girls feels a bit like a AE tutorial on the Cow. (which is a step back compared to a very strong intro w/ the wallpaper and TV)

+ if you like the Stubbings treatments, maybe you can spread them out more, b/w other pieces, perhaps.

+ I would also cut out some pieces that use camera jitter-thingy. It seems a bit redundant after seeing one. (I'd keep the one with all the red Xs)

#56 Guest_invisibleelement_*

Guest_invisibleelement_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

I still think this is a very strong reel. To me it is great and somewhat unique because he contained his work in a shell that plays off of The Shining.

I don't see any problem with having your name on your reel... if anything it helps people remember your reel and stand out above the rest. I have a feeling that everyone here has seen a motion piece and/or reel at one point in their lives and tries to remember who is credited for creating the work or who created the reel. In Stubbys case, it is branding... I remember his name because of it. Anyone should be proud of their work...and to me Stubbys reel doesnt come off as arrogant.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by invisibleelement, 07 December 2005 - 05:47 PM.

#57 Guest_the notorious E.G.G_*

Guest_the notorious E.G.G_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

I really liked it. Although I can't help but cringe at all the distressed type and paint splash/sloppy tag strokes. Otherwise, it's rad.

Edited by the notorious E.G.G, 08 December 2005 - 04:27 AM.

#58 NickForshee

NickForshee

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Not sure how old this forum is but f*cking Neil Stubbings reel was the direct reason why
i got involved in motion design in the first place! AND!!!! I Just recently heard LeMob branched
to Santa Monica! which is killer because I live there! I hope to work with him and personally thank
him for inspiring the start of my career.
nforshee49@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users