Object Buffer to name

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 edrhine

edrhine

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:motion, mountain biking, skiing, home brew, traveling and saracasm

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

Does anyone know of a way in C4D (R13 currently) that you can make an object buffer pass come out with a name instead of "Object Buffer X". Not sure if this could be some form of scripting or not, but would be really beneficial if the pass had the name of the object rather than a number.
"It ain't about the dollar or trying to go fast. Unless you take pride in what you're doing, it won't last. Craftsmanship is a quality that some lack. You got to give people a reason for them to come back." ---- Buck 65

FREED

#2 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

I believe this has been a long asked for feature.
We'll get it come R18... :)

#3 Mylenium

Mylenium

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yepp, I think about 2017 we might actually see the ability to give each pass a unique arbitrary name. Until then I guess we'll have to trust fiel renaming tools ;-)

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#4 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Being a former Maya user it amazes me how many little things Cinema has not implemented ... this is one of them. These are not deal breakers for me since I still use the software. The workflow is still 10x faster ...

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#5 CoinStar

CoinStar

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

I believe if you double click on the object buffer or any pass in the MultiPass you can rename it there. Been there for awhile now unless they took it out.

-Coin

#6 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

I believe if you double click on the object buffer or any pass in the MultiPass you can rename it there. Been there for awhile now unless they took it out.

-Coin

Yes, but that name you apply in the render dialogue does not translate into the object buffer file name, rather you just get obj_1, obj_2.
I go the file renaming route, but that's just one more step that takes time.

#7 Encity

Encity

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

-Coin

It doesnt rename the render file, it still saves file as name_object _1

lol, dam oeuf, you beat me.

Edited by Encity, 04 January 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#8 CoinStar

CoinStar

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yea. I just tried it again. name then object buffer ehh, better than just the object buffer ## though

-Coin

Edited by CoinStar, 04 January 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#9 edrhine

edrhine

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

I wonder if there is any way to do this through scripting... or just change it in 13.5 (hint hint Maxon). I would gladly chip in for someone to develop this as it would make my compositing and general life a hell of a lot easier
"It ain't about the dollar or trying to go fast. Unless you take pride in what you're doing, it won't last. Craftsmanship is a quality that some lack. You got to give people a reason for them to come back." ---- Buck 65

FREED

#10 c1p0

c1p0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:There's a node for that.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I wonder if there is any way to do this through scripting... or just change it in 13.5 (hint hint Maxon). I would gladly chip in for someone to develop this as it would make my compositing and general life a hell of a lot easier

Try asking Charles Rowland, he has done something with the object buffers to speed up workflow. http://twitter.com/#!/RagingClaw He has done python scripting. I'll try to get in touch with him and send him here :)

#11 charlesR

charlesR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:video games, reese's peanut butter cups, web design/development, vfx, motion graphics

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

ill do some research on this, but i think its all controlled by the render engine and there is not anything you can do. It might take me a day or two, im currently swamped with work, but ill let you know what, if anything, i can find out.

--- edit:
i asked a buddy of mine at Maxon and he is going to ask the appropriate people. ill get back to you when i get an answer :)

Edited by charlesR, 05 January 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#12 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

I end up writing a list of my object buffer numbers and uses down on a piece of paper :wacko: Considering the programming magic the Maxon team come up with on a regular basis it does seem strange to me that this part of the software is still left undone.

Here's a link to Maxons feature request page:

Suggestion Form - Maxon

#13 edrhine

edrhine

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Thanks CharlesR... Destro-- that what I do, is put them in Evernote but in there are like 20 buffer passes its a pain in the butt. I will submit a maxon suggestion form as well

FREED

#14 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Interests: Compositing
    Motion Graphics

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Here's a link to Maxons feature request page:

Suggestion Form - Maxon

Thanks for posting this Destro. I'm currently working on my first large-scale C4D project and I've also come across this issue with a ton of object buffers and no way to name them in the render. I sent off my request for this feature as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users