reel after effects demo los angeles editor AFX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 son.of.simon

son.of.simon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor from 9a-5p. Not sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor all other hours of the day.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

****UPDATED****
Following the advice below and having a bit more time to work on the reel (and some new projects) I've updated the cut of my reel. Looking for sincere feedback here. As of lately, I've been working more and more as an After Effects artist and am always looking to learn and grow in the area of motion graphics. I almost always am working as a solo artist when doing AE work, often when serving as the editor for the project as well.

http://vimeo.com/37542696

Breakdown:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000004613 StartFragment:0000002292 EndFragment:0000004577

0:06 - 0:09 GET motorcycle parts commercial end tag (spec) - responsible for all concept, design, animation
0:09 - 0:11 AT&T commercials - logo modification, element creation, responsible for all design and animation
0:12 - 0:15 Green Living Project documentary intro concept - responsible for all concept, design, animation
0:15 - 0:20 3M "Encompass 360" brand marketing - responsible for concept, design, animation
0:20 - 0:22 SmarTees commercial - responsible for all concept, design, animation
0:22 - 0:25 Golf-Pro-X commercial (spec) - responsible for all concept, design, animation.
0:27 - 0:30 KikkorGolf - end tag (spec) responsible for all concept, design, animation including 3D element.
0:30 - 0:31 Samsung Galaxy SII commercial end tag (pre-visualization of end tag design and timing) - responsible for design and animation
0:31 - 0:33 Toyota Venza campaign "super" and end tag - responsible for all animation
0:33 - 0:36 RIFT "Not In Azeroth" campaign - responsible for design and animation of text elements
0:37 - 0:40 Mania TV "A.D.D." show promo bumper - responsible for all concept, design and animation
0:41 - 0:42 Mania TV network ID bumper - responsible for all concept, design and animation
0:42 - 0:47 3M "Encompass 360" brand marketing - responsible for all concept, design and animation
0:47 - 0:50 Kanye West Foundation investor marketing - responsible for all concept, design and animation (based off of current branding)
0:50 - 0:52 Golf Trends show open/graphics package - responsible for all concept, design and animation

Edited by son.of.simon, 16 March 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hi Chad,
What exactly are you trying to do with this reel?

If you're trying to get more "AE artist" sort of production work, you could focus on maturing your animation and compositing skills. Learning to communicate things through how elements move will not only make your work more charismatic, it'll make it more purposeful and valuable. And learning about things like lighting, color correction, and overall image quality will make your work more intentional and beautiful, which results in it becoming trustworthy and respectable. These are relatively large skillsets, so don't think that it'll come to you like picking up new plugins. These aren't plugins. They'll do a lot more for your work than software ever will.

#3 edrhine

edrhine

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:motion, mountain biking, skiing, home brew, traveling and saracasm

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Binky is alway the go to on here... I liked the reel, but saying you are an editor with some AE work makes me wonder what it is you have done on the individual cuts. I jumped on here to review some reels after having just looked at 70+ applicants for my company on motionographer. The work is good, if it's all your animating and editing, but I would encourage anyone to have a breakdown of what their role was on a shot by shot basis. The music and editing is okay, but not particulary driving or engaging. If you are focusing on editing, make it hit hard and show your "style", for lack or a better term, in your reel. If its all you in the AE side too than its better than most. I would still stick to the idea of a minute reel and have the best up front. It is easy to engage the viewer, or not, in the first 10 seconds and determine if they even see the rest or close the window. Would have to agree with Binky on the animation side of things. Tailor the reel and the shots seleted to the pacing of the music by remapping it. Best of luck
"It ain't about the dollar or trying to go fast. Unless you take pride in what you're doing, it won't last. Craftsmanship is a quality that some lack. You got to give people a reason for them to come back." ---- Buck 65

FREED

#4 son.of.simon

son.of.simon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor from 9a-5p. Not sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor all other hours of the day.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate that it's conceptual feedback instead of technical notes.
To be honest, I didn't set out with an actual goal when building out this reel. It was more of an update with some recent work, but the overall goal is to highlight additional abilities beyond editing. As I said I work mostly as an editor (90% of the time), but do work as an after effects artist as well. If I'm working as an editor, I'm often bouncing over to AE to create elements for the edit that I need. To avoid any confusion as to which role I had on the project, I build out this reel to keep separate from my editing work. True though that it is not a really strong edit, making the piece fall a bit short. It does have a "thrown together" feel to it. I agree that it's not grabbing the viewers attention strong enough off the top.

Ed, as far as the work goes, it's all me. There are 3 pieces in the reel (Samsung, Toyota, RIFT) that I wasn't the editor on, but AE work is all me. On those pieces I was working under an Art Director from the agency and going off their boards. Everything else was concept & created by myself, not including logos obviously. In the case of the Kanye West Foundation piece, I was working within the brand identity already set. In most cases, there was no AD above me, rather I create boards or sample animations and send those to the producer or director for notes.
I think you're right though, 1min reel is the way to go. Back to the drawing board on that one.
BTW, you guys are doing some great work at Freed. It's nice to see that level and quality being done at a studio in Colorado. Four years ago today I moved from Denver to LA, and I gotta say I miss it dearly, but I had to move west to find some new opportunities. Good luck out there, it's a great place to live!

#5 son.of.simon

son.of.simon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Based off of some of the feed back + some time to work on the reel + some new projects, I have updated the reel (embedded above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reel, after effects, demo, los angeles, editor, AFX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users