• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Datsun

Datsun

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

I have just been approved as a member on these forums, even though I've been a silent spectator for a good while. I hope I'm not too spammy when I post my reel the first day..

Anyway, I wanted to post my reel to see if I can get any feedback at all. I've had a look at some other reels in this forum, and I don't think I'm nowhere near any of you guys, but it would be very helpful for me to get some feedback so I could improve.

My reel is a mix of alot of different things, I've recently graduated from film school where I usually did the editing and cinematography jobs, so there is a few of those in there. In the last year of uni and up til now I've been growing a keen interest in motion graphics and animation, so theres some of that in there as well.

Have a look at the reel here:

My website is also pretty recent with more portfolio stuff, have a look at that here if your interested:
http://agoberg.tv

#2 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

There's some really, really cool stuff in here, along with some stuff that suggests a really distinctive style, but you have a ton of chaff you need to burn off. I always seems to give the same advice, but it always seems to be apt: cut your reel in half. Get rid of anything you're not extremely proud of and cherry-pick your absolutely best pieces. If the result is 30 seconds, so be it -- it's still better than being padded. A lot of people aim for 60 seconds, though in the last year we've seen that shrink even more.

Some standout clips for the chopping block:
  • the jet at :35
  • the sequence at :39 with "scary eyes", buildings, a stickman, and the dude in the car -- chop chop chop chop
  • pandas vs dinosaurs, and the guys getting blown up :46
  • "ride free media"
  • the big-headed guys are amusing, but overstay their welcome
  • soldiers at 1:04
  • particle test at 1:07
  • you can lose most of the tilt-shift shots -- they also overstay their welcome
A lot of what's left is really, really nice, and dripping with atmosphere. Capitalise on that. You're on the verge of having a kick-ass reel.

#3 Datsun

Datsun

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi Aaron, thanks for the great feedback.

I agree, there is quite a few things in there that needs to be cut out. I'm gonna try to follow your advice and cut it in half. The tilt-shift and big-headed video was featured that much because they where very recent projects, but I agree, its way too much of it.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful and maybe the Vimeo link will be updated in not too long...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users