• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thekinginyellow

thekinginyellow

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

so, a friend of mine i went to school with called me the other day kinda bummed about work and asked for my advice. he is working at this production place doing motion graphics, photography and grip work during shoots for a while now and he's seen his salary increase a little, not much, just a little and it's pretty much way below the average for the area and kind of insulting. anyway, his boss just hired an editor and bought two new cameras totalling about 17k. my friend was wondering what he has to do to get a piece of that magic budget incorporated into his salary. what would be the best way to ask for more money or should he just look for a new place to work?

#2 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

The employer has already made a statement about how he perceives your friends value. If you think this particular employer is just taking advantage of your friend, and your friend has valuable skills, he should have no problem finding another employer who can accurately assess his value and compensate him appropriately.

On the other hand, If your friend looks around and finds out that no one else is particularly interested in hiring him, or in paying him what he feels he is worth, he may need to do some"man-in-the-mirror" type stuff, come to terms with reality, and then develop a plan to make himself more valuable to potential employers.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#3 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Does he enjoy it there? If not, it's time for him to move on.

If he does enjoy his job, then I'd say just bluntly ask for more money. Something along the lines of, "I really enjoy working here, and I plan on staying here for the long-term, but I'd like to re-negotiate my salary. I'm getting paid considerably less than I could make anywhere else, which probably made sense when I started, but I feel like it's time for us to talk about something that makes more sense considering my experience and our financial situation."

People ask for raises and promotions all the time. If his boss is decent, the conversation should be pretty normal. At the very least, he'd get a clear understanding of what his future with the company would look like.

#4 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

That can be a very tough situation to be in. Many times once an employer knows they can get the work out of you for cheap it can be like pulling teeth to ever climb out of that hole. If you friend is a valuable assest and the employer is reasonable then they should be able to have a conversation about the issue and get on the right path. If not many times the only way to get out of those situations is to move on and not make the same mistakes twice.
Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#5 Kmksunfire

Kmksunfire

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Art and Adrenaline

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

It's pretty simple and more common then you would think, though not ideal. There is only one real option.
He needs to find another job offer, and use that as a bargaining chip. It's generally that simple. If he is worth it they will keep him, if he's not then he can go to the other offer. If he can't find another offer, go to the mirror...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users