2012 Reel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gorillasandtoast

Gorillasandtoast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hey everyone, here's my reel as of 2012. Looking to get feedback. Go ahead....let me have it! Thanks in advance!

#2 dan_hin

dan_hin

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, sci-fi, mograph

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

I liked the edit, some nice cuts in there. I think you ticked a lot of mograph cliche boxes (dynamics, chromatic aberration, lensflares, TV noise) but actually made something that was great to watch. Hats off to you sir!

#3 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hi Brian,
I'm gonna partially disagree with dan_hin and say that I think the edit isn't doing you any favors. Firstly, you seem to be trying to cut to audio cues/beats in some cases, but you're generally a couple of frames off, so the cuts seem sloppy and lacking purpose. Second, you're splicing together some really weird choices in visuals. Like the guy jumping in the pool, intercut with the dude pointing the shotgun? So is the one guy about to shoot the pool guy? Cuz the footage is totally different and... honestly this whole section is failing in every way. Third, your color bars and glitch effects aren't motivated by anything, resolving anything, or adding anything. They're just there because you think they're rad, but they're not all that rad. It's fine to indulge yourself, but when you do it, make sure that your audience will get something out of it too. We're giving you our valuable time. Give us something valuable in return.

Also, your intro looks nice, but it looks nice in a way that's not at all unique to you. Your intro is a chance for you to identify yourself, visually, and be memorable. Don't waste that chance by doing some shit that a bunch of other people have already done. You're never gonna stand out in a crowd of people wearing white jumpsuits by wearing a white jumpsuit. This is really true for the myriad of mograph cliches that you seem to be parading in your reel. We all utilize cliches when they're of benefit. And also when we're lazy. But you don't want to end up with a reel that looks chock full of lazy. You won't appear to be as valuable to most employers if all you can do is parrot well-worn design solutions. If you want to do fun stuff for good clients, you have to prove that you can give them something smashing and unique. Neither you nor they can stand out in a crowd if you're fitting everyone with a jumpsuit.

It also needs to be said that your audio is super distracting. The track is really quiet, punctuated by your startlingly loud glitch effects. That's a great strategy if you want me to just sit there waiting for the next alarming audio burst instead of paying attention to your work, which is to say that it's not a great strategy at all. I also don't know if using such a hyped track is really the way to go. Your work is fighting for attention by being paired with it. Kind of like when two girlfriends go out and one is way more attractive and flirty. Your work might be really lovely, but it's still gonna be the ugly girl.

#4 dan_hin

dan_hin

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, sci-fi, mograph

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

partially disagree.

haha, I think that was the mograph.net understatement of the year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users