Photo

bought a SSD from OWS (need help/questions)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

so I really aren't that techy when it comes down to it... i bought a 120 gig SSD that I want to use solely for my apps... I got info on my apps and they are 50gigs.... thought I be safe and get a 120...anyway... how do i set it up that ONLY my apps run on my SSD and nothing else like documents/library/users/desktops and all that... I only want the apps to be on it... and I guess if anyone has any knowledge anything else that would help me.... thanks in advance

#2 mgrvsh

mgrvsh

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

The tail end of this article should help you out. I followed it when replacing my HD with a SSD. http://lifehacker.co...in-your-macbook

#3 delrossi

delrossi

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I installed a SSD for my os and apps.
I did a complete clean install of all of my apps, the only thing I migrated were my mail accounts, bookmarks and keychains(they hold your passwords).
It was a major speedup of launching of all my apps, they also seem to respond faster(maybe they read info off the startup drive).

If you don't have enough room on the SSD you can move your home folder to a different disk. Though with all of the adobe apps cinema4d, FCP, motion, iWork, Office, and several other apps I still have over 30 gigs available out of 128gigs. I put all of the tutorial files and such to a different disk

I did keep my previous star up disk for when I need to use apps that don't work well with Lion.
I notice a major difference in speed and responsiveness in the system.

YMMV
good luck
mdr

#4 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

the only thing is i do not have my lion disc i downloaded it and installed it... if i wanted to install my ssd drive to my macpro tower is it a must a do a clean install?... because i do also have a bunch of of applications that I do not have the instal discs for... my back-up drive was trashed and basically everything on my mac including programs are the only versions I have now along with pluggins... would i still be able to install the SSD without doing a clean install?... is there anyway I can install my 3tb HD first than starnsfer over evrything on my computer than install the SSD?... sorry for the ignorant questions I just dont have any original discs and programs and would def not want to loose everything while trying to install my SSD....

#5 JMRicks

JMRicks

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your current boot drive to your SSD, then once that's done, set the SSD as your startup disk. After you reboot, go to System Preferences > Accounts and right-click your account and choose Advanced Options. In the Home directory field, choose the home directory that you have on your bigger drive. After you reboot, you should be able to just delete your Home folder from the Users folder on your new SSD Boot Drive (don't delete the Users or Users > Shared folders).

#6 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

i just literally recieved the parts in the mail and I am waaaaay to nervous to even attempt this myself... can anyone recommend anyone who can in the NY area... sole or company... besides teckserve... i rather have someone do it for me while i watch if possible and I can pay a reasonable price... let me know... Im looking to get this done tomorrow... if anyone has the knowlege and isnt busy tomorrow or knows of someone or small mom and pop shop that can do this please let me know... im super excited to supe up my mac!

#7 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

i got reffered to http://mikeyshookup.com/ and after talking to the tech guy he refused to set up my ssd running my system and applications because he doesnt belive in doing it... what nerve and what kind of business model is that?... these IT guys have really got on my last nerve ... i even offered to pay more money

#8 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

i got everything up and going except for my SSD i had to order the housing unit and now I have to move stuff around because I only got a 120 gig SSD and basically need to move stuff around so I can have my OS /startup disc / and my apps on the SSD

#9 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Cycling - Motion - Design - Self Exploration

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

What kind of computer are you putting this SSD in?

#10 FlipSwitch

FlipSwitch

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

hey i got i would say 90% of the way there.... i got a 2010 macpro 8core 2.4ghz... so i installed my SSD than i initialized it.... than i loaded lion onto it... i than used migration assistant to transfer over my apps from my original HD to my SSD and also network settings... now the hting is i have 2 user accounts my first question is do both user accounts now run the apps off my ssd or just the new one?... Because under this new user account for whatever reason i dont have permission to the folders i did not migrate over such as documents downloads and movies... the only reason why i did not migrate them is because my SSD is only 120 gigs... i was under the impression i only migrate my apps and network settings to the SSD and leave the bulk/heavy files on my orginal drive... but than what good is it if i cannot access those folders under the new user... they all have that red minus icon on them... im sure i am missing some step but i guess u can gather what i want to do... basically want access under the user that uses my ssd drive as my startup and run my apps to the folders such as movies/documents and downloads which is on my original hard drive that was my original bootup... this prob sounds like gibbirish but im exaushted and hopefully you guys understand and have a solution...

Edited by FlipSwitch, 09 February 2012 - 03:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users