3 replies to this topic

#1 theta

theta

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:v1 getting approved!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Finally got around to updating my site with some newer work. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

http://www.rudytaege.com

#2 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Really lovely work, rudy. Lots of attention to detail and bits of niceness everywhere.
My brain's not really turned on, so the only solid suggestion i can make would be to edit down your project list. I don't know that anyone will be impressed with your hand removal shot, or with the 3d glasses announcement or that you converted someone else's commercial into a stereoscopic experience. I could totally be wrong here, of course. But I think if you WOW your visitors while giving them a general feel for what you do, they'll be likely to come to you as an expert for lots of things and you won't have to indicate specifically that you can do hand removal or stereoscopy. And you've got plenty of WOW in that collection. Just take out some of the HUH?. And you may want to condense your photography entries into one entry with all of your examples in it.

Your site is nice, too. Simple, considered, and accessible. When you go with a minimal approach, there's not a lot there, so your audience is that much more focused on what IS there, and as such you have to pay that much more attention to the few details that are present. The kerning in your name plate is a little off, the "following (0)" is not aligned and should probably be all caps and in the same grey that DESIGN MOTION VFX is in, which is also not aligned with the baseline of your name plate. "Cargo" should probably be a shade of grey too, if that's possible. It's nitpicky stuff, but with a minimal layout you will be nitpicked, and it's easy to fix, so why not?

Nice work, Rudy.

#3 theta

theta

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:v1 getting approved!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the in depth reply Binky. Totally agree with you on all those points about the site. I've always struggled on how to show all of my work, since it does cover a lot of areas. I know the stereo conversion does interest some people/studios, but they're definitely not the same group of people that are looking for motion graphics or even 3D. Maybe I should categorize the projects into different sections.

#4 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the in depth reply Binky. Totally agree with you on all those points about the site. I've always struggled on how to show all of my work, since it does cover a lot of areas. I know the stereo conversion does interest some people/studios, but they're definitely not the same group of people that are looking for motion graphics or even 3D. Maybe I should categorize the projects into different sections.

</div>

Just my 2 cents. Agree with all of Binky's comments. Think the site could benefit from organization. In terms of showcasing the 3D conversions, I don't think there is much point in showing the full spots not in 3D (and having those spots be the first thing people will click on the site). If you want to show off the 3D conversion why not cut a reel of the spots you converted, that way people interested in that aspect of your work have one simple concise presentation of all brands you were entrusted with and for people that know about that stuff you can pick shots that they will know must have been tricky to convert.</div>

To me that would be a good balance in terms of having that content available for the people who are interested without cluttering up your site.

Also I see you are using a cargo site with a custom URL might be cool to replace the default cargo favicon with one of your own.

Edited by anothername, 13 February 2012 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users