Photo

Symmetry Object Trouble / Ribbon Banner creation?

Cinema 4D Symmetry Object Object Symmetry Ribbon Banner Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Harry Mitchell

Harry Mitchell

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hey all,

Using Cinema 4D I am trying to re create a ribbon type banner (an example of what I mean can be found here : http://i.imgur.com/k7zMU.jpg )The best way I could think about creating this simple shape in Cinema was to just use a plane and a Symmetry object, but I seem to be having trouble.

Whenever I add the plane (that I have converted into a polygon object) to the symmetry object I get this extra continuous piece of geometry that appears, and I can't figure out why. Here is a picture of a before and after of me putting the plane into the symmetry object : http://i.imgur.com/cuZYQ.jpg

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it? Or am I doing something terribly wrong and there might be an easier way to create this ribbon banner effect?

My goal is to create the banner and animate it sweeping on and then off again from the right side to the left. Any tips and tricks in creating this effect would be greatly appreciated.

Hope someone can help,

Harry

#2 cabecinha

cabecinha

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

The symmetry object imitates everything for the other site of the axis, so your problem is that the front plane is going trough the axis. You need to put that only to the axis.

About the animation, maybe using the spline wrap would do the trick.

#3 Harry Mitchell

Harry Mitchell

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks cabecinha, I managed to get rid of that extra piece of geometry.

Now to animate it. I have tried using a spline wrap but I am not 100% I am doing it right. Do I have to make a spline the same path as the banner? Or could there be another way? I basically want build on from right to left and hold for a bit and then build off. Like a sweeping motion.

#4 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:cats, guns, submarines

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Spline wrap works by animating the Start and End values. You might not get an even smooth motion (it'll slow at the corners or wherever there are more points on the driver spline) unless you put the spline on Uniform distribution of points.

You can also make a big interesting boxy shape, apply the same spline wrap to that offset in time to your geometry, and use a Boole to do a 3D cutty-wipe shabob.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cinema 4D, Symmetry Object, Object, Symmetry, Ribbon, Banner, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users