• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Received an email this morning from Wacom in regards of their new Intous5.
Details here: http://wacom.com/en/...cts/Intuos.aspx

Maybe it`s just me, but seems that they are updating their line of products more often these days.

Ryan Massiah / Design + Animation

hello[at]ryan-massiah.com / ryan-massiah.com

#2 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

It's not just you.
THe touch feature and wireless conversion is a nice little upgrade, worth it, i don't know.
I like how in that video the dude is constantly tilting his head when looking at the monitor, a sign of a true designer.
All he was missing was a scarf.

#3 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Touch is something that can be dramatically impacted by software tweaks. I don't know how it feels on an Intuos 5, but I can tell you that on their previous touch enabled products, the touch functionality was horrible. It was practically impossible to touch without clicking. In any event, it's definitely not a compelling upgrade if you already have Intuos 4 tablets. Personally, I don't use the existing hud and turn off all the functionality of the dial and buttons because they're too easy to accidentally bump. I'd rather go with an Apple bluetooth track pad on my left and the tablet to the right of my keyboard. That way you can use the track pad for navigation and the tablet for drawing - much more like the physical interaction between someone drawing and the paper they're drawing on (in my mind, anyway).

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#4 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Definitely interested to see how these new features perform. I agree with Sao that the touch will have to improve a great deal to be worth the upgrade. Same goes with the wireless feature. Last year before upgrading to the Intuos 4 I purchased the wireless version and it was terrible and had a great deal of lag. In the end I had to return it for the wired version. Both good ideas they just have to be executed very well to be a useful feature.
Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#5 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

They really should perhaps offer a tablet option sans the side buttons. That would probably cut down costs (ofcourse we all know those cut costs won't carry over to the consumer).

#6 m.feder

m.feder

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

... and I thought I would be the only one turning off the function keys and the wheel.

Anyone wants to share how to make use of them?

#7 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Cycling - Motion - Design - Self Exploration

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

I wish Wacom would make a tablet that had no buttons or any features besides the pad its self.

#8 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

It's not just you.
THe touch feature and wireless conversion is a nice little upgrade, worth it, i don't know.
I like how in that video the dude is constantly tilting his head when looking at the monitor, a sign of a true designer.
All he was missing was a scarf.

It is good to know that i am not the only one who has noticed the recent updates.

#9 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

Definitely interested to see how these new features perform. I agree with Sao that the touch will have to improve a great deal to be worth the upgrade. Same goes with the wireless feature. Last year before upgrading to the Intuos 4 I purchased the wireless version and it was terrible and had a great deal of lag. In the end I had to return it for the wired version. Both good ideas they just have to be executed very well to be a useful feature.

As much as i enjoy the idea of not having to deal with long wire cords. I agree that a lot of wireless products (based off personally experience) suffer from huge lag delays.

#10 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

I would be open to the idea of having a minimalist Wacom model which did not have any ExpressKeys. With doing so, you might be able to add some additional drawing space to each tablet model and drop the price slightly.

#11 stoiqa

stoiqa

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

i got the small one,

gets annoying in c4d when you render preview, and you touch the surface, render stops and you have to start over :)

other than that feels pretty good i guess

#12 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Completely agree with the comments about getting rid of the ring and the shortcut buttons all together.

The other thing with the Intuos 5 line is that they're optimized for people who work with the tablet directly in front of them. You're not going to be doing two handed input if you position the tablet off to the side - that's where I'd rather have a combo of the magic track pad on one side of my keyboard and the tablet on the other.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#13 boy.finley

boy.finley

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Mine showed up in the mail today, number one annoyance so far is that it has such a hard time distinguishing between zoom & rotate in Photoshop. By contrast, Apple trackpad makes the distinction every time and has much lower latency.

Still, it's great for all the reasons Intuos have always been great plus has bonus multi-touch features, can't say I'm too unhappy.

#14 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Cycling - Motion - Design - Self Exploration

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

someone needs to take the plunge and take apart their tablet and then use a makerbot of some kind to prototype a case without the buttons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users