• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kitkats

kitkats

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm thinking about investing in a new broadcast monitor as the prices seem to have come down a bit recently.

I'm looking at the Sony LMD-1510W and a Blackmagic card, and wondered if anyone had a view on:

1. Any other suitably low-priced monitors (like Blackmagic's own SmartView HD 17" ?)
2. Which Blackmagic card/box to get

Cheers.

#2 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'd be curious to hear what you end up going for. At those prices it's a lot more affordable to get a broadcast monitor, wonder how accurate they actually are on the low end.

As far as blackmagic cards go. I've been using the intensity Pro for a while, you get what you pay for, it can be a bit finicky from time to time (although much better since the last firmware upgrade) and supports a few less formats than the Kona cards, but at the price is great value for money and get the job done (especially if you are mostly using it for monitoring and not capture).

On PC Inetensity Shuttle is great to have the portability, I've used that as well,l and like the intensity pro occasionally is finicky but gets the job done. For me the thunderbolt shuttle or extreme would be the clear winners if I had Thunderbolt on my tower. Still planning on building a portable edit station with the shuttle and thunderbolt raid sometime soon.

I think those monitors have HDMI in, so really for HD monitoring you're good. If you use it to capture might be worth looking into spending the extra 100$ for the Decklink studio and SDI.

#3 kitkats

kitkats

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yeah - been reading a bit more... about the Matrox MX02 products and the Blackmagic specs, and alternate monitors.

It seems that the major manufacturers have all come out with 'entry-level' flat panel monitors recently, like:

JVC-DT-E17L4

panasonic bt-l2150

I've read quite a few disparaging remarks about the Sony series on Creative Cow.

The Matrox MX02 boxes or Mojito card claim to be able to calibrate consumer monitors to "perform like a broadcast HD/SD monitor with 10-bit 4:2:2 color precision".. but as you might expect a lot of people laugh at that claim.

My budget was about £1000 but if it seems worth it I could spend £1700 on a broadcast monitor and Intensity Pro... I'm just wondering if these entry-level monitors are in fact worth the extra money, or if I should just accept that my budget isn't serious enough and get a decent HDMI TV for a few hundred quid.

I'm only needing to monitor, not capture anything, and its more for colour accuracy than details/flicker etc. Almost everything I do is 25P, usually 1080.

#4 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

For my home set up I've been running out to an HDTV from an intensity pro and it is what is. In AE I find having a good computer monitor callibrated with a Spyder and using AE color management the best low end solution I've found so far.

Every time I've freelanced anywhere and actually had a proper broadcast monitor that wasn't a CRT (TV logics, and some higher end ones) they have always been so badly calibrated that I've been better off just using the computer monitor with a hardware calibrator, so I don't have a ton of experience to really compare low end versus high end monitors.

I'm in the same boat if I could get something that actually worked as a proper broadcast monitor in that price range I'd go for the upgrade but haven't heard about a good enough option yet to make me want to drop the cash. That 21.5 inch panasonic would be mighty tempting if I could find some good reviews for it, did a quick google search and didn't really find much though...

But yeah for what you want to do I think the intensity pro, or shuttle is perfect in terms of a card.

#5 kitkats

kitkats

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Well, I'm mostly posting this to bump the thread, but I guess I should re post it in a DaVinci forum or something. I bought a Spyder4Pro and an Intensity Pro card and a Panasonic HDTV. After calibrating my 30" Cinema Display with the Spyder it has given everything a very pinkish tinge in the whites and greys. Presumably the monitor is so old that it's standard color profiles had become way off... I don't know. And the Intensity card / TV combo is ok... colours look way off to me but the Spyder experience is making me question my own vision! I'm considering either returning the TV and getting some kind of broadcast monitor (either one I mentioned or maybe an old Sony CRT) or maybe getting the Eizo Coloredge 27" which self-calibrates and ought to at least be more reliable than the 30" ACD.

As usual, the whole matter of practical colour standards feels like a quagmire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users