46 replies to this topic

#21 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

If it was just me I wouldn't be worrying half as much as I am, hell, I'd probably be out there already. It's that I'm bringing along my wife and 2 kids. Kids complicate EVERYTHING. Love them, but geeze. My wife is set on living outside of the city where it's cheaper and we know we can afford a place, but I don't know if the saved rent is going to matter with the gas I'll be spending getting into the city. I think we'll end up doing that for 6 months until we know we're steady and we can afford to move closer and we have our income settled and know we're not going to end up homeless, again. I need to get out there and hit the ground running with freelance and anything else I can find, plus find a steady job.

Oh, I hear you about family and stuff. I think it would be important to know where you are going to work. Even if it's to narrow it down to 3 main areas: West side, LA Proper, or The Valley. If you think you'll work on the west side (companies in SM, Venice, Culver), look into Culver City or Mar Vista areas. If you're looking at a job in LA (Hollywood, Bev Hills, W Hollywood, etc), then hollywood itself should have some affordable places (actors/waiters have to live somewhere, right?), as well as across the hill. Or like my friend if you're job is in Bev Hills area, check out Studio City. The drive is still going to suck, but it's decent path. And if you'll be working somewhere in the valley, well, the valley is generally cheaper anyways.

But if you got a place in Hollywood and got a job in Venice, your drive is going to SUCK. unless you can always drive in to work at 1030 am and come back by 3 or later around 9. Whereas if you lived in Culver or Mar Vista and worked in Venice, it's not really a big deal (relatively speaking).
chris smith :: some of my work

#22 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

damn you americans... can just pick up and move to LA... can someone please fix you're labor department LCA issuing system?

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#23 andy1010

andy1010

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

I moved out to LA this past June and so far have loved it. I was in the same boat. I'm actually married and 4 kids so space was an issue and raising a family in the mid-west is a lot different than LA. I choose the route of taking a long commute over living in the city. I know it's not for everyone, but for me and my family we make it work. My job is really flexible so I'm typically 7-3p so the commute isn't so bad. I would say that you'll get a lot more bang for your buck the further you are away, but you'll be trading off for a longer day. Plus people in LA just tend to work longer than other places. Another trade off is you just get paid more out here. Housing is way more expensive, but other items are not as expensive as housing is. To be honest, it might be hard to come out here and not have something lined up thought. I don't want to discourage you but you can burn through some serious cash out here if you not working. Hope that helps, best of luck.

#24 son.of.simon

son.of.simon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor from 9a-5p. Not sitting in a small room with no windows staring at a computer monitor all other hours of the day.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

It's a risky move if you're bringing the family with nothing lined up. I moved here 4 years ago with a job that dissolved 1 year later. The cost of living has been weighing on me and my lady lately even though work has been consistent for me.

I live just outside of Hollywood/West Hollywood and do work in Burbank, Hollywood, Santa Monica and occasionally El Segundo. For me it's centrally located and my drives aren't usually horrible (Unless I try to leave Santa Monica between 5:30 and 7p). I have a 2BR that costs around $2k/mo. I could save $ by moving to the Valley but I'd end up spending about the same when you figure in the gas for a commute. And with gas currently around $4.50/gal it is something to consider into your budget. Not to mention the area is better for my lifestyle, but is likely a bit different for someone with kids. Also consider that the commute time will factor into your work day, so less time to be with your family.

As far as being paid more here than elsewhere, I don't know if I totally agree with that. My freelance rate is about the same as I had in Colorado, but work is more consistent. Salary wise, what I was paid when I had a fulltime here was better than I made in CO, but not enough to offset the cost of living increase. My girlfriend is a middle school teacher and makes less in LA than she did in Anchorage, Alaska or Lousiville, KY (both of which have a much lower cost of living).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's a good place to be, but after a while a lot of people seem to develop a Love/Hate for LA.

#25 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

me, Harry (greymachine), Govinda, Binky, Albert Omoss, Crabby, Fred, Firebetty.

While sitting here next to the window all day, with the breeze and the birds rustling the trees, staring stupidly into the internet, I forget that likeminded folks actually live nearby! We should probably break our routines for a couple of hours one day to say Hi face to face. DMALA is kind of a software fetishist convention, and there was that TADA thing, which I actually tried to go to, but just sat there guzzling snacks with my gf until we were too sated to care. That place was nice. The Next Door Lounge. I'll be waiting there. Look for the tall guy passed out on a couch with a feedbag on his face.

My wife is set on living outside of the city where it's cheaper and we know we can afford a place, but I don't know if the saved rent is going to matter with the gas I'll be spending getting into the city.

This is not a solution for everyone, but a motorcycle is a weapon of great utility in the war against traffic. If you have a hot head, a showboatin' attitude, or a wandering mind, make sure you're an organ donor, but otherwise, it's cheap on the gas and is a hot knife through traffic butter.

#26 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

What area are you in , Binky?

#27 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Just right over in Culver City. Little area called Fox Hills right behind that Westfield mall where the 90 meets the 405. I'm in a box under that overpass.

edit: googled ocean park. Yeah, you're like 15 minutes away, tops. Ridiculous.

Edited by Binky, 27 March 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#28 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, even if'n you're around for lunch on the westside we can hit up Urth or more deliciously Holy Guacomole.

Harry's around your neck as well.

Edited by C.Smith, 27 March 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#29 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Yeah, even if'n you're around for lunch on the westside we can hit up Urth or more deliciously Holy Guacomole. Harry's around your neck as well.

Holy Guacamole, unholy land of the Super Burrito? Super Burrito, code for "gimme an entire infant unwillingly stuffed into a tortilla"? Large enough to cradle in your arms? You could put a leash on it and walk it around the block? Super Burrito, destroyer of worlds and bowels and dignity? Super Burrito, who I've miraculously defeated in one sitting only one time, to my solitary amazement and subsequent self-disgust? Call Harry, we'll get him drunk and peer pressure him into eating the whole thing, then take him to the ER. We'll stop off for a costco dog on the way there and pack it down his gullet while he's unconscious. Good ol' fashioned forced gluttony.

Who else is down for that? Who wouldn't be?!!

#30 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

Good ol' fashioned forced gluttony.

Who else is down for that? Who wouldn't be?!!

uuh, that's sounds like my perfect Saturday.

#31 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

"The meal is not over when I'm full, the meal is over when I hate myself."

I'm game.

#32 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

#33 planetfour

planetfour

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Ooooh I stopped by for my bi-monthly visit to mograph.net at just the right time! Been here just over 6 months or so and still need to meet more peoples in my biz. Oh hell, I just like people in general.

I shall be watching this thread for what west side watering holes/vomitoriums I should look into stalking.

#34 silatix

silatix

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:mographary

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

LA rent ain't nothing compared to NYC rent ;)

Ya'all gotta get your shit together. We meet up every month out here. LA was a nice place to work but its a pain in the ass to get people to commit to doing anything. Its that whole driving deal. Walking/biking/subway is definitely more ideal.

Back to the topic at hand.. Make the move. Get a cheap place somewhere near the city if you're worried about money then make a bigger move once you're settled in. Moving families is tough from what I've seen so try to be as bare bones as possible when moving.
it's like theres a party in my mouth, and everyone's vomiting

#35 RandomEntity

RandomEntity

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Video games, table top games, art, design, comics

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Just got to Riverside last night. Pretty excited to actually have jobs to apply to. Really stoked about all of the opportunity actually DO STUFF. Probably going to stay in Riverside for a bit until we can afford the move closer into LA, it just makes more sense right now.
-RandomEntity /// www.CourtneyVarner.com

#36 RandomEntity

RandomEntity

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

This is not a solution for everyone, but a motorcycle is a weapon of great utility in the war against traffic. If you have a hot head, a showboatin' attitude, or a wandering mind, make sure you're an organ donor, but otherwise, it's cheap on the gas and is a hot knife through traffic butter.

I was thinking about that, actually. But considering I never learned how to ride a bike, due to a malicious sister who kept pushing me off, I don't know how well that would work.

#37 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Just got to Riverside last night. Pretty excited to actually have jobs to apply to. Really stoked about all of the opportunity actually DO STUFF. Probably going to stay in Riverside for a bit until we can afford the move closer into LA, it just makes more sense right now.

Congrats! That took guts.
I don't know what jobs you might be applying to, but regardless of whether you land one of them, it's still gonna be a scramble the first few months. And one of the things you'll want to prioritize is getting your portfolio up online. It's not a horrible market for you, but there are a lot of other people like you out there making it really easy for producers to find them amongst the weeds. And producers are human; they'll take a safe, easy bet instead of working harder to find out about you. So if you have a way of applying for jobs without a site, milk that resource immediately, and then get cracking on getting your work on the web whether you land something or not.

It's gonna be a game of catch-up until you get yourself established, but there are opportunities that will open up. And once you start finding some spare time/money, the city sprawl really has a lot to offer. Riverside... not so much. And you're really really far out (pick some podcasts for that drive). So play that game, get yourself into town, and some time soon you'll be good to go.

#38 RandomEntity

RandomEntity

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

And one of the things you'll want to prioritize is getting your portfolio up online. It's not a horrible market for you, but there are a lot of other people like you out there making it really easy for producers to find them amongst the weeds. And producers are human; they'll take a safe, easy bet instead of working harder to find out about you. So if you have a way of applying for jobs without a site, milk that resource immediately, and then get cracking on getting your work on the web whether you land something or not.

My stuff is up on behance and vimeo which I include links to in the emails I've been sending out. I also have a print design/production background so I can hit up print shops and the like for a steady job. I think things are going to be ok.

#39 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

My stuff is up on behance and vimeo which I include links to in the emails I've been sending out. I also have a print design/production background so I can hit up print shops and the like for a steady job. I think things are going to be ok.

Good job on taking the plunge. You have enough fire under your seat to ensure you keep hustling. The one and only reason I see people fail to transition is from them expecting work to just land in their laps now that they are here. Keep looking for the next gig while still working a current one and you will be fine.

Having only vimeo, etc references isn't acceptible. When I am looking for help, those links don't even get clicked and I move on to the next. The cheapest / easiest option is squarespace.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#40 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Having only vimeo, etc references isn't acceptible. When I am looking for help, those links don't even get clicked and I move on to the next. The cheapest / easiest option is squarespace.

I gotta second that. When I'm looking for freelancers if you don't have a basic portfolio site you won't really be considered. Besides squarespace there's also cargocollective also free or supercheap if you want a custom URL . If your stuff is all up on vimeo it's a no brainer to just embed it all on a cargo site.</div>

Edited by anothername, 10 April 2012 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users