4 replies to this topic

#1 s.edwards2

s.edwards2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:All things motion graphics, snowboarding, surfing, xbox

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've always wanted to work in the USA but after lots of research I am just baffled about the best way of getting out there...visas/job searching and all of that. As I am from the UK though I can get a years work visa in Canada and was thinking of saving up some money and heading out that way in 6 months or so. I've always wanted to travel but worry that if I took a year out of the industry I'd get behind so want to travel through work.

I guess I just wondered what the motion graphics scene was like out there? I've also heard that job hunting works differently over there, much less advertising on job sites and a lot more word of mouth/checking designers sites (not that I don't do that in the UK). Essentially if anyone could shed some light or share any interesting stories about setting up as a mograph artist in a new country? I'm a Junior at my current company as well so wondering if that would be a major hindrence?

Cheers, looking forward to reading any responses :)

Si

ps. Sorry it said error when I posted and ended up posting twice!

Edited by s.edwards2, 22 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#2 JonnyB

JonnyB

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I don't know too much about the subject having not done it myself, but I know that it's tricky and there really is no easy answer!

I'm sure you're aware of these but I thought i'd link to other posts that talk about this.

http://mograph.net/b...showtopic=23898
http://mograph.net/b...showtopic=18498
http://mograph.net/b...showtopic=26186

they all point to the same conclusion... you'll be very lucky to get a work visa in the USA but hey if you don't try, you don't get!

#3 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, in Canada it's all about connections. When we hire, we tend to ask the people who already work here if they know anyone, and if we don't find anyone within a few degrees of separation we post an anonymous ad to Craigslist. There aren't really any active job sites. That said, here in Vancouver most mograph people I know are kept pretty busy. Unfortunately, since moving to Vancouver I've completely stopped doing freelance/contract work, so I don't really have any insight as to how to break in.

#4 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

If you want to come to Canada and work your best bet is probably Toronto. There are many less Canadian eyeballs than American so it's a waaaay smaller market.
Not to be discouraging but unless you have a top notch kickass real it might be a bit difficult to breeze into town and pickup gigs easily.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with studious a few months before you plan on coming to start the getting to know you process and increase your chances of having gigs lined up once you get here.

Edited by anothername, 22 March 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#5 s.edwards2

s.edwards2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:All things motion graphics, snowboarding, surfing, xbox

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Cheers for the general advice, specially about how jobs are advertised.

I'm not necessarily looking for freelance work, in an ideal world I would get a permnanet job and sponsored be that at a junior level or perhaps middleweight if I have reached that point. As I wouldn't be looking to move for at least 6 months (saving) that also gives me good time to work on the reel. I do have one but it needs freshening up.

I was wandering about getting in touch with studios beforehand so I will definitely take that advice on board!

It's really interesting to hear what you guys have to say about this so I appreciate the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users