#1 s.edwards2

s.edwards2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:All things motion graphics, snowboarding, surfing, xbox

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hey people,

I absolutely love these idents of Animal Planet,

I've been doing my own project recently in Cinema but always struggle with lighting. The lighting in the idents above is amazing and I just wondered if anyone could give me a pointer in replicating it? Mostly the glare of the bright light that comes from the top right?

Thanks!

Si

#2 tezuka

tezuka

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

That seems to be done in post. A simple gradient set to Add or Soft Light. I'd say 40% of the visual mood was made in post. Don't underestimate Compositing Magic :)

#3 s.edwards2

s.edwards2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the advice, I always try and over complicate things and forget that so much is/can be done in post. I'm just starting to educate myself in grading and post production and so far to me it's magic, can entirely change the mood of a piece of work and up the quality massively :)

#4 Bakahatsu

Bakahatsu

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:biscuits

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Si

I worked on the idents doing 3D and compositing. Tezuka is definitely right. Most of the lighting is in post. We used physical sky in C4d and then just built on that with solids in after effects set to add, some mattes to give certain bits like the meerkats hill and a bit of a glow on the edges, things like that. We used a bit of shine for sun rays too. The grade adds much of the feel too.

Glad you liked them!

Cheers

Stephen

#5 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Really nice touch! I struggled on this video with the soft lighting (work in progress) . Ended up using some kind of Sun and lighting, then touching up with some mask's and grads in After Effects.

#6 s.edwards2

s.edwards2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

Sorry I've not been on for a while and only just saw the extra replies. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it, it's a really pleasing style and I wanted to do some experiments with it but just couldn't get anything looking right!

Crastro - That vid is awesome, a really nice feel to it!

#7 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Cheers man, Its my first full C4D project, 'Completed' in a sleepless 5 weeks. I seek to improve it when I get a little bit quieter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users