Photo

Suggested resources for advanced script writing? (AE)

Script writing resource AE coding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Interests: Compositing
    Motion Graphics

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Does anyone have any good resources for learning more advanced scripting? I'm talking about full featured scripts .jsx.

My ultimate goal is to develop a simple script that will parse a text document hosted in the cloud of all my most frequently used expression snippets. So where ever I happen to be, no matter what studio or computer, so long as I have an internet connection, I have a direct link to all my expressions. It'd be as simple as launching the script to display a floating window with a scrollable text field that loads in all of the text from the web-hosted text file. Then I can just copy/paste what I need.

My current workflow is going onto google docs, logging in, finding my expressions file, copying the code I need from there and returning to AE to paste. It doesn't seem like much, but with how frequently I do it, it'd save me a lot of time if all I had to do was quickly open a floating window inside ae with all my snippets ready to go.

If this sounds similar to something you know of, please let me know! The only reason I'm trying to figure this out is because no one seems to have developed something like this already.

Thanks!

#2 edrhine

edrhine

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:motion, mountain biking, skiing, home brew, traveling and saracasm

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

not sure about scripting but you can always use Evernote or a combo of dropbox and the expressions toolbox
"It ain't about the dollar or trying to go fast. Unless you take pride in what you're doing, it won't last. Craftsmanship is a quality that some lack. You got to give people a reason for them to come back." ---- Buck 65

FREED

#3 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 394 posts
    Motion Graphics

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

or a combo of dropbox and the expressions toolbox

How do you mean? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that sounds exactly like my "go to google docs, copy/paste back into AE" solution I've been currently using.

#4 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

Unless I'm really misunderstanding you, this sounds like you're really over-complicating it.

Right now, what you're doing is:

... and what you're proposing to change that to is ...

Log in to Dropbox / get USB key > Download / copy script from USB > Insert script into AE > Use script to, essentially, copy/paste in AE > Delete script when done (if on a shared computer)

I'm not really sure how you'd exact that to save you any time. Not to mention writing something that will sync with your cloud storage might be complicated.

Why not just dump a text file with your expressions in a folder on your web server (ie, http://mywebsite.com/expressions.txt)? Then all you'd have to do is go to a URL in your browser, then keep that window open. You could even password-protect the file, which would save you the time of hunting for the file in Google Docs. It'd only save you one click, but it's still something.

#5 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 394 posts
    Motion Graphics

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

I guess what I'm really trying to do here is stay within the same application. Switching to a web browser and going through my google docs is a few steps that force me out of AE while i'm trying to get work done. Although it probably would be faster to put everything into a simple text file and host on my server instead of going through google docs. That would save some time I suppose.

#6 Mylenium

Mylenium

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

JSX/ ExtendScript can parse network URLs natively and open socket connections. Check the render&email script for some basic concepts. There's also an advanced render notification script somewhere on AEnhancers or AEScripts. Once you have figured that out and your firewalls/routers do allow these connections, you could store your file in whatever format on whatever server.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#7 edrhine

edrhine

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:motion, mountain biking, skiing, home brew, traveling and saracasm

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

I am using Expressions Toolbox with my library document save to a folder on dropbox. That way when I update the script, not only is it updated everywhere, but at the start of AE I can run the expressions toolbox script and link it to that file. No in an out of AE and everything is there
"It ain't about the dollar or trying to go fast. Unless you take pride in what you're doing, it won't last. Craftsmanship is a quality that some lack. You got to give people a reason for them to come back." ---- Buck 65

FREED

#8 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 394 posts
    Motion Graphics

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Mylenium and Edrhine, those are both really helpful.

#9 milkshake

milkshake

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

As edrhine mentioned, you can use ExpressionToolbox with the library stored on your dropbox. ft-Toolbar can also work this way, btw, so you can have your custom toolbar on any machine you use. However, if you still want to learn scripting fxphd is re-running my Intro to AE scripting course this term: http://bit.ly/HO102d

-Lloyd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Script, writing, resource, AE, coding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users