• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hey all,

Im wondering if there is a way to create foam, as in the kind of foam you get from toothpaste...

Pretty weird I know, Would real flow be the answer or could it be done in C4D or After Effects to match the C4D toothbrush, much like particular etc?
(Apologies about the image, first thing on google)
Posted Image

Thanks in advance

#2 Mylenium

Mylenium

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Full 3D probably. Model the mouth and chin and any other stuff you need, rotomate it over the backplate, run a sim (Realflow, Houdini or even DPIT Effex). Such tight close-ups are extremely tough to track to begin with and in light of AE not having any particle system that could mimic this stuff reasonably pretty much pushes you in that direction almost automatically...

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#3 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

What Mylenium said.
Hire a 3DS Max particle expert or someone real good with realflow and matchmoving.

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#4 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yep - DPIT Effex has foam on its vfx showreel. Though I think that getting structural bubbles would be a massive pain in the behind, unless you fancy making some crazy voronoi-noise based boole...

If you made a highly viscous liquid and then textured this with an animated bubble texture (this could be done with dynamics in another scene and then mapped to your cached liquid mesh) that could work. Or use the liquid mesh (cached in a mesh sequence perhaps) and then used a cloner set to Volume, or even Thinking Particles set to fill a volume) to generate the bubbles, then boolean them on Intersect...

What a horrific problem to solve!

#5 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have had a change of plan, going with a super stylised version, this is probably something that it will look like. Rough version really, and no bristles on brush yet.

Posted Image

#6 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

If you're going with that approach, it'd be lovely to see some microbubbles with sub-poly displacement

#7 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

If you're going with that approach, it'd be lovely to see some microbubbles with sub-poly displacement

I totally agree with iline.
I think this direction is a more 'realistic' approach in a non-realistic way. If that makes sense. I find the simpler approach the more successful one. Good luck and shoot us over your progress.

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#8 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I'm just playing around with the inheritance tag in C4D at the moment to have the foam form, them drop into a logo shape. The micro bubbles sounds nice touch, I'll have a play.

Thanks! :)

#9 Crasto

Crasto

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

First test with the stylised version, needed to get it out of the viewport for a bit. Boat loads wrong with it at the moment, from Animation/lighting etc ,but you get the jist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foam, c4d, toothpaste, toothbrush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users