Motion Graphics Reel 2012

Feedback plz

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics Designer Aspirant. Learn to love about cool stuff !

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi guys!

I wanted to share my reel with you guys as i'm looking for some feedback.
I'm not really proud of it if i'm being honest but it's a start! I hope to make better stuff during this year but for now is what I got and would be nice to hear some feedback on it!

Thanks a lot!

#2 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

You have some clips that are stronger then other but it's way to long. I got bored. Clip it down to 60 seconds or less and get some stronger clips. They will come while freelancing.
- Tony M
www.mayoflux.tv

#3 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Will do that :)

#4 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

It's also apparent that a lot of your clips are from self-initiated experiments. Doing your own experiments is great, and necessary even, but a reel/montage isn't a very good place to display that stuff. Amongst other things, a reel needs to show accomplishment, which usually means work you've done for real clients. So, if you don't have a lot of contracted work, and you want to use your experiments as filler in the edit, you just need to cut them in in such a way that they don't read as unpaid work.

Since you're gonna cut this reel way down, you can start by selecting just the shorter most active/interesting moments from your experimental work, and cutting it quickly enough that we might be able to think it's a part of a commercial or show open or something like that.

Also, remember that the point of the reel isn't to let your audience read all of the text, or scrutinize the logos, or bear witness to an entire set of interactions between characters. It's really just to display very short moments from your work. So of course, you want to display only those exact moments which are the most engaging, inspiring, beautiful, etc. If you've got a 10sec project that has two great 1sec moments, just show us those two moments cut together or separately. Don't present them by forcing us to watch all of the bridging crap in between. You have limited time to engage us. Don't waste it on anything that doesn't do so.

Lastly, when you think you've carved all of the fat off of each of those moments, find a way to put the reel together so that it's an entertaining short film in itself (which may mean adding and subtracting material for the sake of the viewing experience). Your reel will itself be a piece of work that you've made, and you want it to be as interesting and engaging as anything you've made thus far. So, yes, you're making it almost entirely out of scraps of your preexisting work, and it's real purpose is to represent you and show off your skills, but no one wants to watch a boring presentation. So make it something we actively WANT to watch. Because that's something we'll remember.

#5 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

Thank you very much for your time to get back with an AMAZING feedback! I'm gonna crack on with it and post another version of it here.
Once again thanks a lot guys! True help! This is very important to me as i'm trying to make a living without messing up with the market, not easy to start but it's great to have help and good feedback to get us on the right track.

#6 ghekkomanic

ghekkomanic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Binky has put it so well that I hardly need to add anything, other than say when you DO cut your reel down your work looks so good that you'll have a VERY strong reel at under a minute. And don't be afraid to time remap clips to fit with the track if you need to. Some animations work great over the course of 5-10 seconds in real time but are death to the pace of a good showreel - cut into it and/or speed it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users