Photo

The Rebirth of CSTOOLS at NAB2012. First look at new cam system.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

CSTools came out in 2006, premiered on this board as free Xpresso setups. It was a set of 23 tools including lighting rigs (b4 lighting rigs were popular!), camera animation systems, as well as mograph oriented animation helpers. I assumed only a few people would want them. In the last 6 years, they have been included with Cinema 4D broadcast addition, been used all over the world, I've received many dozens of emails from design houses telling me how they use them, and last time I checked my FTP stats 3 years ago they had been downloaded over 200,000 times. That being said, I have left them for dead.

But the good news is for any fans out there, I have been working on a completely new set from the ground up, not as Xpresso setups but true plug-ins to Cinema4D. So they live in your menus and have far more power and convenience than the old CSTools.

I will presenting the tool I've spent a year of R&D on at NAB next week as a first look. It is a dream camera system I have always wanted. It was spawned off of all the things I didn't like about MoCam + many new ideas I had about a system that is flexible, smooth, and immediately changeable without fixing all the work you have done. In addition, a camera that is aware of it's space and timing so it changes paths based on it's velocity so that it feels that it has mass like a real camera. Listen to this glowing review from an early beta tester:

"It kind of pisses me off you made smooth, natural camera animation so easy" - Mike "The Monkey" Senften

If you're at NAB, come see the presentation at 5:30pm on Tues, the 17th at the Maxon booth. If you are NOT attending, immediately go to C4D LIVE and sign up now to view the whole show live.
chris smith :: some of my work

#2 eyedesyn

eyedesyn

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Very cool! Definitely adding that to my list of things to see!

#3 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

"It kind of pisses me off you made smooth, natural camera animation so easy" - Mike "The Monkey" Senften

That belongs on the ranks of http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/ or possibly a shirt.

P.S... super excited for this.

Edited by Colin@movecraft, 10 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#4 rovino

rovino

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:bears, beets, battlestar gallactica

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

If you're at NAB, come see the presentation at 5:30pm on Tues, the 17th at the Maxon booth. If you are NOT attending, immediately go to C4D LIVE and sign up now to view the whole show live.

YAY!! Im totally there...
but... but wait

MediaMotionBall is at the Monte Carlo at the same time.. Sooooo conflcted.. anyone wanna share a cab or anyone gotta car they can give me a ride?
Why must you torment me soooo?

Ohh its Tuesday.. yay No problems!!
wait... pinball???

no srsly.. Im gonna have to check it out..(sadly i just figured out how Mo-cam and EZCam worked)

Edited by rovino, 10 April 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#5 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

YAY!! Im totally there...
but... but wait

MediaMotionBall is at the Monte Carlo at the same time.. Sooooo conflcted.. anyone wanna share a cab or anyone gotta car they can give me a ride?
Why must you torment me soooo?

Ohh its Tuesday.. yay No problems!!
wait... pinball???

no srsly.. Im gonna have to check it out..(sadly i just figured out how Mo-cam and EZCam worked)

I'll be at that Pinball party as well. should be after NAB exhibition closes at 6. Well, the 2 tools I'm showing are the descendants of EasyCam and MoCam. But both are way more powerful while being much easier to deal with. Well, they are more of a re-imagining than descended as there is no common factors in their makeup. If you're around, come by and holler at me.

#6 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Looking forward to it.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#7 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'll be presenting for Maxon along with you :) Cant't wait to see the new stuff!

And Sao? You'll be there too?

#8 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

I'll be presenting for Maxon along with you :) Cant't wait to see the new stuff!

Fantastic. More than presenting or seeing the show, I love hanging out with the Maxon and Friends of Maxon crew at these shows. Always a great time.

#9 rovino

rovino

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:bears, beets, battlestar gallactica

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

2:30 PM On Monday.. Ima be there.. 8)

#10 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sitting here watching Nick rehearse, had my rehearsal this morning. Mr Hassenfratz and Casey's presentations are gonna be awesome too. Everyone get ready!

#11 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

I don't get in until tomorrow. Hoping I get out of rehearsing :D

Edited by C.Smith, 16 April 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#12 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

@daveglanz - I'll probably have to catch it via the interwebz - something always comes up when I try to sneak away to vegas.

@C.Smith - Try doing characters during the rehearsal - How would Michael Buffer explain it?

Good luck, you two. "I just wanted to let you know - we're all counting on you".
Posted Image

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#13 hdesign

hdesign

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hey Chris, I saw your "AutoCam" presentation yesterday and I'm super excited about it (it looks great!---I'm a big-time MoCam user and have REALLY missed it in R13), and one question that is in the forefront of my mind is how much is it going to cost and when do you expect it to be available?

#14 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hey Chris, I saw your "AutoCam" presentation yesterday and I'm super excited about it (it looks great!---I'm a big-time MoCam user and have REALLY missed it in R13), and one question that is in the forefront of my mind is how much is it going to cost and when do you expect it to be available?

Hi. Thanks. Hoping to have it in a place I like it sometime this summer for release. It will be available through GreyScaleGorilla. UnKnown about price. I predict some things charged , somethings free. I may not even call them CSTools when they come out. These really are all new true plugins so we'll see. I'm still early in the game but wanted to get a presentation out on this NAB now and not wait a year. Thanks for watching.

#15 hdesign

hdesign

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hi. Thanks. Hoping to have it in a place I like it sometime this summer for release. It will be available through GreyScaleGorilla. UnKnown about price. I predict some things charged , somethings free. I may not even call them CSTools when they come out. These really are all new true plugins so we'll see. I'm still early in the game but wanted to get a presentation out on this NAB now and not wait a year. Thanks for watching.

Awesome, Chris, I can't wait! Thank you for being so generous with your talent.

#16 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well I, for one, am not buying it unless it comes packaged with cupcakes. Does it come with cupcakes, Chris? Because what I really need is cupcakes. And I just don't think a year's worth of development effort NOT boxed with daintily homemade single-serving pastries is going to be quite enough effort to bother. And don't half ass it. I'll turn my nose up at ordinary flavors. BBQ cupcake, roast beef cupcake, cilantro and salt cupcake, these are the flavors of the future. THE FUTURE. Also, I want a cupcake from the future.

I will seriously bake you a small cake if you magic unto me the ability to animate a fucking camera. Fucking horrendous task, that shit.

#17 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

I see your futuristic cilantro and salt cupcake and offer you forth a free sterile packet of cupcake flavored algae paste served in a carbon fiber cube (with rounded corners for flair). Indeed the future is delicious.

#18 hdesign

hdesign

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hey Chris, I was wondering what the status is of "AutoCam"? Is that close to being ready?

#19 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'll be happy if I get it out before xmas at this point.

#20 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Christmas would be good. Santa bring it home!

-gl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users