MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

$50/month with an annual subscription
$75/month with month to month plan

http://www.adobe.com...s/creativecloud

Cloud Pricing: http://www.adobe.com...ying-guide.html

$30/month for owners of CS3 & above for 1st year: https://creativeclou.../special-offer/

CS6 page: http://www.adobe.com...ativesuite.html

Edited by mario5, 23 April 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#2 zook

zook

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Production Premium

US upgrade price: $375

UK upgrade price: £357.50 or . . . $574.97

Rancid, shameless, robbing piece of shit wankers.

Good old Adobe.

Edited by zook, 23 April 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

#3 ChrisC

ChrisC

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

All fairly predictable, I didn't expect anything else from them as far as international pricing goes. On the other hand... with CS5 you get a discount to the (inflated) price for a year. That's £27/month, I spend more than that on coffee.

The kicker of course is that the price will no doubt rocket after a year or so, once everyone's fully locked in. "Don't like our new features? Fine, stop paying, and lose everything - fancy that?"

I wonder what percentage of development time went into adding extra layers of piracy protection - which will of course be cracked within the hour of it being released. Also the running overheads - will every startup be hampered by an online check-in?

"At Adobe, we do what we do because we want to see the world through your eyes and celebrate your creativity" - this and their army of plastic 'evangelists' - what other software company is coming out with this obscene level of garbage?

#4 superegophobia

superegophobia

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

As enticing as the 1st year upgrade price is I fear they will likely raise the normal price once people are dependent on it and/or release even less new features as time goes on. If they had some sort of 'lease to own' pricing after you've used it for a year then I would try it. The fact that you'd be stuck having to buy everything from scratch if you stop using the subscription is a huge deterrent IMO.

#5 ConstantMotion

ConstantMotion

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

The price in Australia is double what you would pay in the US.. and our dollar is worth more?

Rancid, shameless, robbing piece of shit wankers.

#6 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

Agreed with ChrisC and superegophobia - proceed with caution. For me the most fantastic element is the amount of total craptacular apps in there - "Hey! Is that FlashPaper!? - I'm sold!" What? a $500 piece of hardware + an iOS app that does the same thing as pressing the letter "v"? How did I ever live without it?? That must be that "value added" stuff I've been hearing about. I guess about 1/5 of the apps they offer could be considered real, actual, professional level tools. I wish they'd focus on improving those in a professional manner rather than making toys.

PS: it's disheartening to hear that they view "updates" (aka bug fixes, release dates) as a lever to force people into the subscription model. Way to take an adversarial stance, Adobe.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#7 a2visual

a2visual

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

To make it worse, they have that new upgrade policy that means you will no longer be eligible for upgrade prices if you're more than a version removed. Since they are switching to a yearly upgrade schedule you will need to update every year to retain your upgrade eligibility.

It's still cheaper than $600 a year, but BS since we generally skip every other version or so.

#8 ChrisC

ChrisC

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Here's some fun if you're looking to purchase a full license rather than a subscription. The price on the Adobe site is listed as $1049, if you own CS5. However, if you upgrade to CS5.5 now, the price is listed as $549, with the offer "Buy CS5.5 now and get CS6 at no additional cost. Offer ends May 6, 2012." So you save $500, somehow, and still get CS6 when it's released.

I'm sure this is a good old Adobe screw up, but might be worth it if you're thinking about continuing the full license mode for a while.

#9 zook

zook

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

The real problem here is there is no competition to Adobe, and a monopoly is bad news for consumers. Now we all know why.

The only thing I think is this: look what happened to Quark. Total dominance then they got too bloated and expensive and got a spanking from which they've never recovered. With any luck, somewhere in the world some bright spark is working on an AE-killer that will topple the Queen of Shysters from her throne and create a reasonably-priced, exciting piece of software that genuinely changes the game.

That's what we need. An exciting piece of software, reasonably priced.

Posted Image
Ars longa, vita brevis.

#10 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Between reading the press coverage of CS6 as a whole, the act of "announcing" something that everyone already knew about, and asking people to pre-order software in an era of buy/download (particularly when the main thing you're pushing is a subscription service), I'm thinking Adobe must have hired their marketing people from Microsoft.
Also, does anyone realize how painful it is to watch the illustrator lady use illustrator via a trackpad in the Illustrator CS6 preview videos? Get her a mouse at least.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#11 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:xbox, comics, board games, beer, lacrosse

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

haters gonna hate. i'm stoked for the photoshop CS6 layer sorting improvements and 3D extrude in AE, good shit. Is it worth 2 G's? I dunno, but that's a question we have to ask ourselves about the many expensive tools that we use for our different specialties.

I spend a good chunk of "ramp up" time on a new project sorting PSD layers, transforming Vector Smart Objects into individual comps, organizing and preparing designs for motion.

A more 3D focused motion designer might use photoshop to paint a texture, resize, or reformat files, in which case he/she could give a flying monkey-doo about the latest photoshop.

All that said, I completely agree on the need for competition, and I would love to get involved in creating new animation software, especially with some Natural User Interface tweaks for gesture input.

#12 Mousel

Mousel

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

...for gesture input.

You take that back, you son-of-a-bitch!

#13 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:xbox, comics, board games, beer, lacrosse

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

lol, c'mon wouldnt you love to draw curves with something else aside from bezier handles?

#14 superegophobia

superegophobia

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

PS: it's disheartening to hear that they view "updates" (aka bug fixes, release dates) as a lever to force people into the subscription model. Way to take an adversarial stance, Adobe.

It's not like cs5.5 doesn't have any kind of 'lose my ram preview if you switch to a different application and sometimes even if you don't' or 'playhead randomly gets stuck till I Command+Tab away' bugs... oh wait a minute...

#15 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Maybe the release date for CS6 is already known by most, but I could never find an answer beyond "soon".

Today I stumbled across this mention of the product availability being 05/07. (Monday).

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#16 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• 1,108 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Here is something I don't really understand about the subscription model: (from their FAQ)

On how many computers can I install the software I download from Creative Cloud?

You can install the desktop applications available in Creative Cloud on your primary computer and one backup computer, as long as they are not running at the same time. You will have access to both the Mac OS and Windows versions, so if you have a Mac at home and a PC at work, for instance, you can install your applications on both. See the product license agreements page for more information.

How are you going to call something "cloud" when you're still tied down to two devices? I don't think Adobe really gets how freelancers work, but whatever.

#17 tcastudios

tcastudios

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Ok, so I'm about to push the buy button for the update of CS6 Creative Bundle.
Anyone happy with the Cloud version?
No glitches regarding plugins,
do you have to be connected to start or run the apps?

Basically, is it "same same but different" in any way?

Cheers
Lennart

Edited by tcastudios, 31 July 2012 - 11:32 PM.

R14+ | OSX | xfiles Cinema4D Tools

#18 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I ended up doing the cloud thing because I knew I was going to need InDesign for a project. Based on my experience, It's pretty much the same. You don't have to be connected to run apps (I imagine you get OK'd for 30 days at a time). Haven't run into major plug-in issues so far. I imagine ToolFarm has a list of what is CS6 compatible somewhere on their site.

Ok, so I'm about to push the buy button for the update of CS6 Creative Bundle. Anyone happy with the Cloud version? No glitches regarding plugins, do you have to be connected to start or run the apps? Basically, is it "same same but different" in any way? Cheers Lennart

#19 tcastudios

tcastudios

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Thanks, seems like a good opportunity to get the full Cloud version instead of CS->Cloud upgrade offer, keeping the old CS5.5 for assistant workers.

Cheers
Lennart
R14+ | OSX | xfiles Cinema4D Tools

#20 baynoise

baynoise

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Cycling - Motion - Design - Self Exploration

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

I ended up doing the cloud thing because I knew I was going to need InDesign for a project. Based on my experience, It's pretty much the same. You don't have to be connected to run apps (I imagine you get OK'd for 30 days at a time). Haven't run into major plug-in issues so far. I imagine ToolFarm has a list of what is CS6 compatible somewhere on their site.

Good to know. I think I will be going down the Cloud route as well. Have you had the chance to take care of any of the Cloud like features mentioned in the demos?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users