• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Aromakat or whoever can answer this (BTW I did not post this as a reply to the original thread because for me the board has been buggy for the past couple of weeks and won't always let me reply to topics).

In the original blu-ray 101 you said

Now you know that you are limited to the BDAV, and BDMV specs. No cool blu-ray features, just the HD content. You should now be over the fact that whatever disc you make will not play on many players other than the PS3 - if you have the most recent firmware - and software players on your pc / mac. Most players are made to not allow playback of burned media.

I was wondering if this is still the case? Can commercial blu-ray players now play burned discs?

I have a film that's being screened at festivals and while most request it on some kind of HD tape format or film, a few want it on blu-ray, so while it's basically a one off disc I am creating I need to be reasonably certain it will play on a commercial player without hacks.

Is there any way to do this reliably without sending the disc out for professional authoring, assuming the commercial player is from the last year or two?

#2 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Sorry I didn't see this. The 'view unread' button doesn't include new items for some reason.....

Anyway.... Its much less of an issue now, but it will still be dependent on your player.

Just test it. If its a new player it should work. If its a player made in the first year or two of blu-ray's existence you may run into playback issues.

The authoring limitations (menus, etc) are still present as far as I know, but for just burning a screener its fine.

I just recently burned BD screeners without knowing what their playback hardware was using Encore and it worked at 3 different places without issue.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#3 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I just recently burned BD screeners without knowing what their playback hardware was using Encore and it worked at 3 different places without issue.

Sweet good to know. They said they bought the player in the last year so I'll just make them a disc using encore and make sure I send it advance and ask them to test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users