• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm looking for some feedback on a new logo I've been working on.

I really wanted "3" to work but feel that "1" is the most legible and I can break apart the circle element and url depending on usage. My main goal for business cards or mailers will be to drive people to my site so thats why I'm wanting to incorporate my url into the logo.

Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

It's nice stuff.
I don't see why 3 can't work. I also don't see why you can't do something like center the SB and occlude it with the banner. As long as you don't run it over legibility areas, you're fine. I'd say start with 3, take the italic outlined SB from 5, size it up just a bit, run the banner over the lower 1/4 of the letters, right through the bottom bowl of the B (so that the baseline of SB is still visible), and maybe bring back the circle's outline from 1 and 2. Outline on both SB and circle might be too much, but the detail on either would be nice.

I guess I suggest this because your two main elements are fighting for space a bit. Don't be afraid to let the SB break out of the circle if it needs to. Don't be afraid to try sitting the right side of the S in front of the left side of the B with an appropriate outline to divide them. Of course, bear in mind what each of these things does to the overall charisma of the thing, but at least try them in the name of working out the space.

#3 mgrvsh

mgrvsh

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I agree. I like the composition of #3 and it's sort of unfinished banner around your address. The 'SB' is too plain for me though. I think it'd work better angled like in 5 or 6 and as a script and not a serif.

#4 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Guys,

Really good suggestions, I'm definitely going to put some more energy into number 3, I like the idea of allowing things to overlap a bit as well as giving the sb a bit more attention. I'll be reposting soon!

#5 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Alright, I still need to clean up some of my lines but I'm feeling a lot better about it. I keep wanting to close off the ends of the banner but it seems to work better with the ends open, adds a little bit more movement. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Posted Image

#6 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think we have a winner ... looks good duder

#7 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

So there are a couple of things I'm noticing, and plenty of options to go with when refining:

- You probably want to stick with just B/W, no greys. You don't need them, and your forms will look more definite if you stick to B/W only. It may do to have the SB drop shadow in black and it's just not visible against the circle, or you could turn it black and have it outlined in white when it's against the circle.

- You'll do better to stick with one line weight, also. If you fill in the banner lines, instead of stroking them, then those lines approach the stroke weight of the SB outline and the circle outline. This is where details start to tell us things about the objects; meaning that if the line weights in SB and the banner are the same, but the single line weight of the circle's outline is thicker, then you've subtly grouped those three objects into teams. One team is the important legible stuff, and the other team is the bold background object. They're already teamed by being predominantly black in the background and predominantly white in the foreground, but those disorganized stroke weights aren't helping. So, see if you can get it down to two stroke weights for the whole thing, and use a single stroke for the circle outline instead of a double.

- On the banner, there's no reason to have the top line terminate at the right edge of the circle, but have the bottom line terminate past the edge of the circle. Everything else about that object is symmetric and it unbalances a mostly balanced thing to do that. You may have done it because the tail of the S needed an anchor, but...

- The over-the-edge SB sizing isn't working so well because the balance of what's on and off the circle is wonky. See how the tail of the S seems to stick out so far? That'd be fine if the B hung off more, but I don't think you want that. Think of the white in those letters as volumes, and you want the same volume of white hanging off in each letter. You may have to size them differently to pull them off because of the next (related) point.

- See how the various volumes of black space around the letters S + B are also quite awkward? They're awkward because the overall volume is very lopsided (most of the black is contained in that one space between the S+B) and so some of those spaces call attention to themselves. You'll want to kern to get the volume of black between them to more closely match the volume inside of the B for sure. The other volumes may even out a bit when you do this, but it may also involve subtle sizing readjustments of your major players.

Basically, you have your overall layout pretty close, and now you're making noodly little adjustments in an attempt to perfectly balance things. You may still have to make major concessions in getting it all to work, but it's pretty close.

#8 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Binky!

Really constructive feedback, losing the grey, unifying the stroke weights and getting the weight and balance right has really took what was a pretty ho-hum logo and made it something much more. I can't thank you enough!

It's funny how many of these things my non-designer girlfriend was able to spot. Overall I think I've been able to incorporate just about all of your suggestions as well as updating the little flourishes around the url and pulling them back in to the border stroke.

Posted Image

#9 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

I can't explain easily what I'm seeing without sounding like a mouthy asshole, and i really want you to just send the sumbitch over, which is also an asshole move. :D
Honestly, the round 1 stuff was pretty good already, and I'll just polish it until you're dead.
There's clearly something wrong with me.
OCD example: the illustrated perspective lines on your letters are all kinds of wonky. Line weights are still unbalanced.

#10 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yeah, my Illustrator file has become a sloppy mess with lots of expanded strokes and little patches all over the place. That's why my vanishing points look like they were fired out of a shotgun. :wacko:

Now that I know where I'm going I can re-build it properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users