Photo

AE: Best Practice for Individually Scaling A Very Large Sequence of Images on a Timeline?

after effects time lapse image sequences

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jean poole

jean poole

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:video, motion gfx, VJing, live audiovisual performance, projection mapping, animation, DSLR production, theatre, video within event productions.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just wondering if any gurus had advice about this problem >

Am creating a range of After Effects sequences with 500+ images in each...

I can bulk-adjust image quality fine - by either importing as sequence, or using adjustment layers...

but I'm trying to think of some ways to automate parameters like scaling - on an image by image basis...

eg I'd like to start each image at a certain scale, then increase it a small per centage /
to create a continuous slight zoom that'd enhance a series of photos that travel along a wilderness path.

Is this something I should try and figure out expressions for - or is there some simpler solution I'm missing?

thanks!

#2 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Short of copy pasting your scale animation on each one, I bet you could write a script for it. Unfortunately, I am terrible at it. Have you tried asking in Creative Cow's AE Expressions forum? Dan Ebberts hovers around there and he's pretty boss at this sort of thing.

#3 jean poole

jean poole

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:video, motion gfx, VJing, live audiovisual performance, projection mapping, animation, DSLR production, theatre, video within event productions.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

Thanks J - I might try that forum... I'm very much the expressions novice..

#4 mgrvsh

mgrvsh

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could just make an expression on the scale property like "transform.scale+10*index." Then Edit > Copy Expression Only, and paste it to all the other layers (the 10 is whatever amount you want to incrementally scale each layer by). Better yet, create a null in your comp with a slider control on it and pickwhip the value of it to replace the 10. That way you can change it on the fly. Scripts work too

#5 jean poole

jean poole

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could just make an expression on the scale property like "transform.scale+10*index." Then Edit > Copy Expression Only, and paste it to all the other layers (the 10 is whatever amount you want to incrementally scale each layer by). Better yet, create a null in your comp with a slider control on it and pickwhip the value of it to replace the 10. That way you can change it on the fly. Scripts work too

A late thanks for this - appreciate the reply... ( but didn't get email notified about the reply )...

Turned out there was a simple solution.. just took me sleeping and waking up the next day to realise how easy it should've been -
import 500 images into AE, and *before* sequencing them... ie while they're all in exact alignment under each other, just select all layers, and modify the scale values of the in and out points.... *then* sequence the layers....
and presto - each image is being slowly zoomed in on....

I can see how your method would be useful for increasing scale relative to the layer above it though... thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: after effects, time lapse, image sequences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users