C4D- animating weight influence?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t-stroke

t-stroke

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Have been messing around with this for a few days and have only a dent in my desk in the shape of my head to show for it.

I'm trying to find a way to gradually reduce the influence (weighting) that a joint system has on a mesh.

I've got a rigged/ weighted and animated character whos mesh I've split into several 'strip' sections of dynamic cloth.

I want the cloth strips to gradually be able to do their own thing and not be inlfuenced by the joints anymore.

Unfortunatley, everything I've tried so far has been an "all or nothing" solution where the weighting 'suddenly' has no influence but I'm looking for a more smooth and gradual approach if possible...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

In the vertexmap/bone tag, there is an animatable field for your vertex maps. Make a zero-weighted map (make a new vert map using 'Set' on 0%) and animate when this new vert map is used by the bone. The empty field denotes when the automatic weighting is used.

#3 iline

iline

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Sorry, set the vertex weight to 100%. I always get that wrong. Thanks Blender.

#4 t-stroke

t-stroke

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Thanks iline.

Are you refering to the "weight tag"? (I'm using joints)

If so that sounds similar to the "all or nothing" solution I came up with.. it seems adding a second tag and animating the 'weight' value of either one does in fact have an effect on the weight influence but for a reason I can't figure out it acts more like a "switch" than a "slider". (ie: no effect from 100%-1%...only becomes active when it hits 0%.. so it's not a smooth transition.. more of a sudden "pop' as the mesh returns to it's 'un-weighted' position)

Do you know if there is a way I can bind a mesh using vertex-maps alone intead of the joint/wieght tag approach? It seems I would have more control using vertex maps/xpresso but can't find any info on it for R13...

Thanks again

#5 Mylenium

Mylenium

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Would not using a Mesh or Morph deformer with a matching cahce tag deformer and animating their strengths work just as well? It would possibly just be slow as hog. Same for MoGraph effectors used as deformers...

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#6 t-stroke

t-stroke

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Cheers Mylenium!

Ran a point cache tag with a deformer and it looks like its doing what I need it to do.

Thanks for thinking outside the box for me guys! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users